Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 09:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But then I realized, I had visited Suchindram from KK before, I hit back for Madurai (I was not driving. I had hired a cab). Since it was from Suchindram to Madurai, I now think the driver would have taken the NH47B route.

But then @Lightening-Fast says, he was on NH7 all the way. Looks like there are more windmills around this area.
The whole area is infested with them! Plenty of them around even when you approach KK from the Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari route, around Anu Vijay Nagar (the Koodankulam nuclear township). Even they have put up quite a few of them within their premises. I believe leasing out land for them is a very lucrative activity. Heard they cost around 2 crore rupees each, so most of them are owned by large wind power corporates (Suzlon, Vestas) who also manufacture them in India.

A whole forest of them can be viewed from the Vivekananda rock on a clear day.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:39   #17
BHPian

Vivekananda Rock? Are you sure Gansan. That seemed a long way away from the rocks. But i could be wrong here
Old 17th March 2011, 09:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Vivekananda Rock? Are you sure Gansan. That seemed a long way away from the rocks. But i could be wrong here
Sure, on a clear day. The entire horizon in that direction will be full of them.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:50   #19
BHPian

Missed that Gansan. Spent quite some time on the rock. But mainly clicking the statue and the sea. Will keep it in mind the next time. Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 09:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Thats very true. I remember you telling me this before i left for the trip. My observation is that apart from A2B's, all within Dharmapuri, there are few hotels around Salem, and then there is GRT near Madurai on NH7. Of course, if you get inside town, there are more options. But on NH7, there are limited options. And almost no options post Madurai till KK
GRT Near Madurai on the highway? I know there is a GRT on the highway at Salem (Just before the 5 roads turning). The GRT in Madurai is in the city.
Where did you see this? If this is a new one, it would be worth it.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:58   #21
BHPian

I am talking about the one you mentioned Ampere. However, GRT Regency,Madurai address reads as NH7,Palanganatham Signal Junction. And if i am not wrong, the Salem GRT should be new one. Last year when i went to Yercaud, i dont remember spotting that one. On my way back to Banglore from Kodai, i did spot that one near the 5 road junction
Old 17th March 2011, 17:27   #22
BHPian

Visiting Kodai after Kanyakumari was not placed in the itenarary keeping Kanyakumari's weather in mind. But that proved out to be such a good decision. Sheer Luck. I was driving from one extreme to the other. I drove back on NH7 all the way, taking a left to reach Bathlagundu, just before Kodai station. I had been to Kodai before and hence it was easy to navigate around.I was able to do Kanyakumari-Kodai stretch in 5 hrs. This included 20 minute snack and fuel break. If Kanyakumari was hot, Kodai was shivering. The moment we stepped out the car at the hotel, we could feel the chill in the air. We checked in Hotel Shivapriya. Seemed like a nice family hotel. At 1500 per night, with all meals included, i guess it was a good deal. It was a 10 minute walk from the Kodai lake. Though cold, i loved the weather. You could not walk inside the hotel room with bare foot! I had called the hotel and had blocked my stay. No prior payment was done.It had rained in the evening and the Kodai lake and in fact the entire Kodai town was completely engulfed in fog. I was driving on the road next to the lake and still could not see the lake. But yes, a great time for some Elachi tea. And then once the fog had subsided, a boat ride in the lake was due. Next morning, we were geared up for Kodai sight seeing. We went to the Coaker's walk first and took a slow walk along the path. I just love this place. Valley view with clouds looking at you is certainly a visual delight. Though nothing to boast of, we still visited the Byrant Park.Not a wide variety of flowers, but still worth a visit if you are a flora person.Next on the line was Upper lake view. Gives you a good view of the Kodai lake. Has a few shops nearby, where you can purchase herbal oils, chocolates. But i would suggest to buy these stuff from Govt recognized shops. I bought about half a kg of home made chocs from such a place and they are good. I was asked not to return to office without the chocs!!! Visited the pine trees on the way to Pillar rocks. Pillar rocks only made a guest appearance. Due to heavy fog, for most of the time the rocks were completely covered by fog. Green valley view, earlier called as suicide point, was again a disappointment with no view at all. The good thing about Kodai is that all sight seeing places fall in one line and when you finish you would have come back to where you started, near Kodai Bus stand. Rest of the day we leisured around and realizing that the trip was coming to an end.Not a great feeling!!

Kodai Lake
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1510.jpg

Kodai Lake
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1517.jpg

Coakers Walk
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1529.jpg

Coakers Walk
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1530.jpg

Coakers Walk
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1535.jpg

Byrant Park
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1575.jpg

Byrant Park
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1580.jpg

Byrant Park
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1626.jpg

Silver Cascade Waterfall
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1644.jpg

Pine Trees
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1625.jpg
Old 18th March 2011, 08:57   #23
BHPian

We started our journey back to Bangalore after breakfast and decided not to stop for lunch to save some time. Visted Silver cascade falls on our descent back to Bangalore. Since it was a weekday and about 9 in the morning, there was no single person at the falls.So the falls was all for ourselves. Its about 8 kms from Kodai town. Also paid a quick visit to view the Rat tails falls. This one is at 13 kms from the point where the ghat road starts. We packed food and stopped for while near salem for a "Highway on my plate" moment and continued till Dharmapuri for a tea and fuel break. We finally reached bangalore at around 4 in the evening and that makes it close to 9 hours from Kodai with 30 mins of break.
No major incidents to report here but, on my way from bathlagundu to Dindigul, a cow, out of no where, started to head straight at my car. To avoid it, i took a steep right to notice a Tata Indica heading straight in my way. I had to take another steep left to avoid trouble.10 seconds of escalated heart beat and the rest of the trip was just fine. Overall a lovely trip encompassing temples, beach and a hill station. Would i do such a trip again? Yes time and again!!! Drive safe everyone.

Last but not the least, the one who made it all possible

Attachment 519258
Attached Thumbnails
Blore-kanyakumari-kodai-Blore-img_1438.jpg  

Old 18th March 2011, 13:24   #24
BHPian

Great T log Lightening-Fast-some great pictures. May do the Kodai run for the Ugadi break as its falling on a Monday 04 April. The drive will be hot but Kodai should pleasant. Will try out Shivapriya hope there will be rooms?
Old 18th March 2011, 18:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Great T log Lightening-Fast-some great pictures. May do the Kodai run for the Ugadi break as its falling on a Monday 04 April. The drive will be hot but Kodai should pleasant. Will try out Shivapriya hope there will be rooms?
Judemayne, Thanks for your words. Yeah April would be quite hot, but Kodai can be a great break. Sure, you can try Shivapriya. They do have a website. I took the number from their website and called them up. No online booking or advance amount paid. Block the rooms and remind them a day earlier. Payment can be made only at checkout. Feel free to reach out to me for any further information on hotel or anything else.

Most Viewed