Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 16:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A road trip in a Jiffy and Lady luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
That was one lucky trip you had Fauji. A leopard in your full view and a lone tusker to add to that.

How about the safari options if you stay at Goru Kana? At JLR the tariff is inclusive of safari. And how about the location? Is it inside the jungle like JLR?

There was a news recently that there is a plan to relocate the tribes inside the BR Hills sanctuary. That would be a tragedy, though, since like the Tiger they are also a part of the ecosystem and traditionally have had a symbiotic relationship with the Tigers and other animals
Hi Mallumowgli,

You bet. We were damn lucky.

The rates should include Safari. Since there was no safari now due to Wild fire, we did not inquire. Yes, Gorukana is also inside the forest but not as secluded as JLR.

I dont think that will happen. I understand from my guide who is a tribal himself, that there are some families still living deep inside the forest.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Some more information on BR Hills.

The hills are famous for the temple of Lord Ranganatha or Lord Venkatesha which is situated on the highest peak of the hill range, on the 'white cliff' or "Bili Giri" (Bili in Kannada means white and Giri means peak) which gives the hill its name. In good old days when wild life tourism was not popular, we used to go to this place as a piligrimage!

The local form of the deity is called Biligiriranga and is depicted in a unique standing position. The Annual Car festival of the deity held during “Vaishakha “in the month of April, is famous in the region and attracts thousands of pilgrims from far and wide. The ratha festival is celebrated at Biligiriranga Hills. The local tribes present a large pair of slippers measuring 1 foot and 9 inches, made up of skin, to the Ranganathaswamy once in two years!!

The temple consists of the idol of Sri Biligiri Ranganatha and Ranganayaki the Lord's spouse.This temple is of greater significance for many Srivaishnavites.

During Veerappan era, very few people used to venture into these forests. In fact the Karnataka forest department had started guided trekking called "Veerappan trails" in neighbouring MM Hills. I am not sure whether they still do it.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

During Veerappan era, very few people used to venture into these forests. In fact the Karnataka forest department had started guided trekking called "Veerappan trails" in neighbouring MM Hills. I am not sure whether they still do it.
They still run an initiative called Mystery trails (Mystery Trails - Home page of the Eco trek programme initiative of Chamarajanagar Forest Department). Was it called Veerappan trails? Never knew about it.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
They still run an initiative called Mystery trails (Mystery Trails - Home page of the Eco trek programme initiative of Chamarajanagar Forest Department). Was it called Veerappan trails? Never knew about it.
Thanks Addy for the Information.

I am not sure who called it as Veerappan trails. May be the media. Anyway, i understand that this is an intereting trail with good scenic spots and if lucky can sight some tigers/leopards as well!!
Old 26th May 2011, 15:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi Fauji, that's a nice travelog and thanks for the details of the resort. And thanks to Amitoj for pointing me to this travelog. You were really lucky to see so many wildlife during your visit. I went there in 2004 around and it was after the monsoon, the whole place was so beautiful that I don't have words to describe it. We sadly couldn't see any wild animal except for few dears. I'm really excited to see the good roads and will soon plan a trip there.
Old 1st June 2011, 19:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi Fauji, that's a nice travelog and thanks for the details of the resort. And thanks to Amitoj for pointing me to this travelog. You were really lucky to see so many wildlife during your visit. I went there in 2004 around and it was after the monsoon, the whole place was so beautiful that I don't have words to describe it. We sadly couldn't see any wild animal except for few dears. I'm really excited to see the good roads and will soon plan a trip there.
Thanks Kaushik. It is still an unspoilt wilderness. We could not go for safari as it was banned in summer due to wild fires. One should go there after rains when it will green all around. Birders will just love this place. Roads are fantastic. Hope it will remain as prisitine in future as well.
Old 1st June 2011, 22:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Fauji,

I saw a leopard on the same road at 11.30 AM a few weeks back. Looks like the same one :-)

Looks like a very interesting self drive safari in the morning.

How did you find Gorukana? I have thought of staying there, but always ended up staying at Jungle Lodges since price is similar, and JL is inside the forest.
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Fauji,

I saw a leopard on the same road at 11.30 AM a few weeks back. Looks like the same one :-)

Looks like a very interesting self drive safari in the morning.

How did you find Gorukana? I have thought of staying there, but always ended up staying at Jungle Lodges since price is similar, and JL is inside the forest.
Wow!! You are lucky!!! Where are the pictures? Yes, the drive is really nice espcially if you do at sun rise when you can spot many animals and birds.

Actually the road continues to Chamarajanagar beyong K Gudi which is again through jungle. We could not go beyond K Gudi as we had to return to Bangalore.

Gorukana is designed by my friend Namit Varma, the award winning architect.

Last edited by Fauji : 2nd June 2011 at 09:26.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow!! You are lucky!!! Where are the pictures? Yes, the drive is really nice espcially if you do at sun rise when you can spot many animals and birds.

Actually the road continues to Chamarajanagar beyong K Gudi which is again through jungle. We could not go beyond K Gudi as we had to return to Bangalore.

Gorukana is designed by my friend Namit Varma, the award winning architect.
The pictures are here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...toyota-15.html

BR Hills is an underrated place (thankfully). I want to explore some of the other roads going through it apart from the Kollegal - Kgudi - Chamarajanagar Road (which I have done a few times). I can see on the map that there are other roads going right through the middle of the sanctuary, and also read about Kenneth Anderson's exploits there.

Can one see wildlife from the balconies of the Gorukana cottages?
Old 4th July 2011, 20:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pictures are here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...toyota-15.html

BR Hills is an underrated place (thankfully). I want to explore some of the other roads going through it apart from the Kollegal - Kgudi - Chamarajanagar Road (which I have done a few times). I can see on the map that there are other roads going right through the middle of the sanctuary, and also read about Kenneth Anderson's exploits there.

Can one see wildlife from the balconies of the Gorukana cottages?
Hi Nilanjan,

Sorry for missing out your post.

Yes, you are correct. It is under rated but i am afraid that it will get crowded soon since the road from bangalore is good.

There is a small artificial lake in front of Gorukana. Sometimes you will be able to see elephants and other animals there. I am not sure about other routes in the sanctuary which are open to public. Yes, if you know some one in forest department, you can explore it.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure about other routes in the sanctuary which are open to public. Yes, if you know some one in forest department, you can explore it.
I know about 2 other routes within BRT area, but AFAIK, they are restricted and unless you have permission or a very good reason, they will not let you in as this does not come under the tourism zone. The BRT-K Gudi-Chamarajanagar route comes under the tourism zone. I had heard this from the RFO of K Gudi.

One of them is the Punjur-Bedaguli-Honnameti-Bailur-Kollegal road and the other one starts from Kollegal-Bailur-Geremalam-Hassanur. The second route is supposedly a State Highway (IIRC) and ends in Tamil Nadu. I have travelled on the Punjur-Bedaguli road and it is bad and I have heard that Kollegal-Bailur road is in pathetic condition.

Interestingly, both these roads have bus traffic. There is a bus which leaves from Chamarajanagar to Bedaguli. And there is a bus from Kollegal to Bailur and possibly to Hassanur (not sure though).

Bedaguli is a Soliga settlement inside BRT surrounded by thick forests on one side and coffee estates on the other. It is approx 20 kms from Punjur. For those who don't know, Punjur is located on the Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam road (NH 209). Generally, all estate vehicles have access through this road. I have also heard that these estates (all owned by big companies) run a homestay in Honnameti and a couple of other places, but don't have any details on that. The Bedaguli-Honnameti-Bailur route passes mostly through coffee estates though.

And yes, I have read about Kenneth Anderson's expliots too.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 22:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks addyhemmige! The Honnameti homestay seems worth exploring.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

We happenned to meet Ganesh Subramaniam who has a small coffee estate during this trip. The guy has been living in BRH for a long time and is an avid birder and excellent photographer. Here is the link where he has shared his pics of birds in BR Hills.

Fabulous!!

Birds - a set on Flickr
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 10:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

I want to visit BR Hills. My problem is the pricing for the ordinary levels of accommodation.

Rs. 8000 at Gorukana
Rs. 11000 at the Wilderness Camp

I found champakaranya.in but their website is partially hacked at this moment and the link to their tariff page is broken. Once again; no great shakes about the accommodation.

Is this pricing considered value for money today? Looks retarded to me.
Old 30th April 2013, 19:39   #45
BHPian

I was hoping to visit sometime in mid June. Any inputs from anyone about the forest department guest houses? Is food available there or nearby, and whats the best way of getting there, if not by car?
And does anyone know if the safaris take place now? I understand they were stopped for forest fires.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks