Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 16:07   #241
BHPian

Re: Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09

Next morning we started fresh from Kargil.

One SUV left the main Highway to Leh, turned right. I followed and disaster !!

The blighter was headed for a Village called W something. The road was under construction with layers of small rocks cut and waiting for final rolling.

Now Off roading tracks have consistency, these type of roads DO NOT. I was riding gear 1/2 all the time.

After 10 kms of hard riding, I was at a point where the bike was not under my command.

I sensed a crash, jumped off the bike applied full hand breaks and let the bike fall gently.

Medini crashed too.Was fun watching her go down.

!! MY LAST DYING WISH !! So be it Babes :-)

When i first posted this picture on Facebook, I got a lot of thappads from friend. "You taking her pics and not helping her?"

The rules of the game is this

a) NEVER lift the fallen angel with your hands. You may aggravate the injury in case of spinal fracture or fracture to the neck.
b) Ask the fallen angel to flex knees.
c) Ask fallen angel to lift her neck.
d) Move hips side to side.
e) In case of pain, get a stretcher, else fabricate one. Easy.
g) Get help to move angel on a stretcher.

On board ships I have seen many Seamen fall from heights. I know what to do.

Medini did the drill above, got up on her own. I knew she was fine :-)

She is a strong woman. We were wearing good riding gear which helped cushion the fall !

We continued our ride to the Village, found the taxi and was informed by the driver to ride back 10 kms and get on the Leh Highway.

2 hours lost!!

On he way back we had nil issues.

When I got to the Leh highway, I ripped the bike downhill.

Saw a board "Leh Welcomes You !"

Relief. 240 kms in one go. WoW !!

I took my hands off the handle bars, barreling downhill at 80 kmph, and thrust my fists up in the air, shadow boxing !!

Rode back to the board for a shot!

We got Leh'd !

Medini's LAST DYING WISH done.

Amen.

And end of ride we did this :-)

Shot a hand held pic, with our helmets co-joined for life !

Post Script:

Just today we received the ultimate compliments of our life.

I had give a photo presentation of our Rides 2007/2013 to my Army/Navy Course mates ex NDA 38th Course on Sept 07, 2013 at my residence.

Major General Rohit Kalia, Artillery, Indian Army, Retd, sent me an e mail:

Dear Nandu,

Rekha and I spent a wonderful evening at your house, thanks.

Your presentation showed your’s and Medini's passion for outdoors and photography.

Kudos to both of you.

Over the years we could not interact much as you were in the Navy

But lately, having got to know you more, I must tell you that your attitude, spirited approach to life, and passion for adventure, you would have been most suited for the Infantry/ Para Commandos, of the Indian Army.

Besides bringing laurels to the Battalion, the men would have respected and loved you.

I am sure you must have enjoyed your tenure in the Indian Navy

These are just my thoughts. Thanks again for calling us over.

Regards,

Maj Gen Rohit Kalia.

Pic 1 : Medini Crashes.

Pic 2/3/4 and some more : On the Lamayuru Leh Road.

Pic 5: This SUV left the Main Road, on a crazy track, that caused our bike to crash !

Pic 6: ARRIVED LEH !!

Pic 7: We, Teddy Bear and Bunny Rabbit, touch our helmets end of Ride. Old fogies who refused to Retire at age 63/58.

We are done with this story.

Thank you TeamBhp
Attached Thumbnails
Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-a12.jpg  

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-z6.jpg  

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-z7.jpg  

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-z10.jpg  

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-z12.jpg  

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-leh.jpg  

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-1.jpg  

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 12th September 2013 at 16:20.
nanduchitnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 16:23   #242
BHPian

Jeez, will never forget this last one picture through my life.

Well done Medini this was YOUR RIDE.
Attached Thumbnails
Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-face-medini-nandu.jpg  

nanduchitnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 19:08   #243
Senior - BHPian

Nandu Sir, it was great meeting all three of you in the Leh hotel, hope you remember me, I and wife met you at dinner.

Your tips for the next routes were very helpful for us.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 14:24   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Nandu Sir, it was great meeting all three of you in the Leh hotel, hope you remember me, I and wife met you at dinner.

Your tips for the next routes were very helpful for us.
Oh yes we do remember you.

I hope you post your trip log here soon.

Old 14th September 2013, 12:14   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear Sir,

As already informed had to abort our drive just short of Indore on NH 3, just near Malegaon because of a medical emergency in the family. Wish you both all the best and may your ride be completed successfully.

The road after A' Nagar to Shiridi upto Kupargaon is just one "nightmare" had to do it twice as turned back and came via Solapur and not Pune. the road after Kurpargaon and till Malegaon had a smooth surface.

Regards

Jude
Col Jude

All the best for your next drive. I have completed my TL of Ladakh 2013.

Rgds
Old 16th September 2013, 11:08   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
We got Leh'd ! Medini's LAST DYING WISH done.But lately, having got to know you more, I must tell you that your attitude, spirited approach to life, and passion for adventure, you would have been most suited for the Infantry/ Para Commandos, of the Indian Army. Old fogies who refused to Retire at age 63/58.
Thank you TeamBhp
Hello Sir,

Congratualations on completing this adventure journey successfully despite all the odds that appeared at the start of the trip (situation on J&K, etc).

I was indeed following your updates on FB & I must say your attitude, approach to life & passion seriously are truly motivation of most of us.

Wish you all the very best for the next trip (down south, I will not disclose the name of the location here).

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 14:35   #247
BHPian

And then the spirit of adventure never ends.

Next triplog is up "Scuba Diving in The Great Barrier Reef"

Thank you team bhp.

Captain Nandu Chitnis

Born to Battle
Old 16th October 2013, 20:24   #248
BHPian

Today 16th Oct is her Birth Day.

Bunny Rabbit, love you.

Her Car has a Team Bhp sticker.

Me no ...
Attached Thumbnails
Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-medinibirthday.jpg  

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-hbdmedini.jpg  

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 16th October 2013 at 20:53.
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 03:33   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Today 16th Oct is her Birth Day.

Bunny Rabbit, love you.

Her Car has a Team Bhp sticker.

Me no ...
Please convey my belated birthday wishes to Mrs. Chitnis.

Dunno how I could miss your Leh 2013 update in the forum. To say the very least, you have been a source of inspiration for youngsters like us with all the bravadoes that you and Ma'am indulge in at such a ripe age () when people of your age group are content playing with their grandchildren or occasional visits to the shrines with their children. You have led a famed life indeed !!
So inspired by you and people like Doc that I have made plans to cover the entire Spiti + Ladakh circuit next summer. However hearing discouraging comments for such solo rides has become a part and parcel of my life now, but do I care when I have people like you and Ma'am to show the way?

The planned itinerary as of now is as follows which I know is in need of some polishing:

Day 1: Delhi- Rampur
Day 2: Kaza - Kibber to Kaumik to Kaza
Day 3: Kaza - Chandra Taal
Day 4: Keylong/ Jispa
Day 5: Leh (Permit)
Day 6: Leh - Khardungla, Diskit, Turtuk
Day 7: Marsimik La - Pangong Tso
Day 8: Kargil
Day 9: Srinagar
Day 10: Delhi
Day 11: Buffer Day

I am very much interested to visit the Hanle Observatory and Chushul War Memorial but problem is I have heard frequently of late that army people are not letting tourist venture into these places although they have permits for it.
The second issue is how to adjust the Hanle ride to this itinerary. Would Day 8 be most ideal if permits prove not to be an issue?
FIA, this trip is planned for next summer, i.e. beginning or mid June.

And do forgive me if addressing you as "Capt'n" had logically been wrong. Fact is, I first interacted with you on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ed-forces.html and since then (not to mention your signature) my mind has always associated you with the salutation of Captain irrespective of your actual rank when you retired.

Finally, thanks for gifting as such a beautifully compiled T-log with a penchant for poetry that adds to the overall charm. Inspires me to start working on a few t-logs myself though I had always feared that there is nothing new to tell in comparison to your t-logs, tsk's, vardhan.harsh's and so on. But may be worth a try

Do let us know when you will be in Delhi next, would like to meet you over one of our Delhi/NCR Team-BHP meets.

Regards!
Suraj

PS: Extremely sorry to hear that your Duke has been damaged by GATI Express. Why not start a new thread in the forum to create more awareness of their negligent service?

Last edited by SJD@NewDelhi : 19th October 2013 at 03:35.
Old 19th October 2013, 10:09   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
Please convey my belated birthday wishes to Mrs. Chitnis.

Dunno how I could miss your Leh 2013 update in the forum. To say the very least, you have been a source of inspiration for youngsters like us with all the bravadoes that you and Ma'am indulge in at such a ripe age () when people of your age group are content playing with their grandchildren or occasional visits to the shrines with their children. You have led a famed life indeed !!
So inspired by you and people like Doc that I have made plans to cover the entire Spiti + Ladakh circuit next summer. However hearing discouraging comments for such solo rides has become a part and parcel of my life now, but do I care when I have people like you and Ma'am to show the way?

The planned itinerary as of now is as follows which I know is in need of some polishing:

Day 1: Delhi- Rampur
Day 2: Kaza - Kibber to Kaumik to Kaza
Day 3: Kaza - Chandra Taal
Day 4: Keylong/ Jispa
Day 5: Leh (Permit)
Day 6: Leh - Khardungla, Diskit, Turtuk
Day 7: Marsimik La - Pangong Tso
Day 8: Kargil
Day 9: Srinagar
Day 10: Delhi
Day 11: Buffer Day

I am very much interested to visit the Hanle Observatory and Chushul War Memorial but problem is I have heard frequently of late that army people are not letting tourist venture into these places although they have permits for it.
The second issue is how to adjust the Hanle ride to this itinerary. Would Day 8 be most ideal if permits prove not to be an issue?
FIA, this trip is planned for next summer, i.e. beginning or mid June.

Finally, thanks for gifting as such a beautifully compiled T-log with a penchant for poetry that adds to the overall charm. Inspires me to start working on a few t-logs myself though I had always feared that there is nothing new to tell in comparison to your t-logs, tsk's, vardhan.harsh's and so on. But may be worth a try

Do let us know when you will be in Delhi next, would like to meet you over one of our Delhi/NCR Team-BHP meets.

Regards!
Suraj

PS: Extremely sorry to hear that your Duke has been damaged by GATI Express. Why not start a new thread in the forum to create more awareness of their negligent service?
1. Thank you for the compliments. Since Leh, have been to Cairns, the Great Barrier Reef, Australia and done some scuba diving and underwater photography.

The trip log is here on TeamBhp.

2. I have not been to Lahaul Spiti.

3. Your ride plan needs some fine tuning. Please consult Nav75. He is a 8 time Ladakh veteran.

4. The best War Memorial is at DRASS a little distance after Kargil and short of Zojilla Pass.

5. Delhi perhaps next year.

6. Will PM you Nav75 email id. You can find him on FaceBook as Navendu Singh.

7. My Indian Navy Rank was Commander. Presently I am a Captain of ships in the Merchant Navy.

:-)

Rgds

Nandu Chitnis.
Old 18th January 2014, 12:37   #251
BHPian

Quote:
HIGH ALTITUDE MOUNTAIN SICKNESS

This is a serious affliction and some people can get dangerously affected by this syndrome. Luckily for Medini, the Military Docs are the best experts at HAMS. They said she should be ok to ride again after next 2 days.

KHARDUNGLA (K-Top)

While she recovered I rode off to Khardungla, the highest motorable pass in the World. This place is just 40 kms from Leh, the roads are alright.

Tis a Zen thing for Mobikers to visit K-Top.

Attachment 522314

I quite enjoyed photographing people and getting myself photographed behind this fancy red board.

In the biker people world if you done K-Top you done it all!

Not really true, there is a World beyond K Top. Ladakh is too big a place to finish in one trip. You need to be there 3 months to cover just 40 % of Ladakh. It is that BIG.

I rode off some kms away to get a pic of my bike against the back drop rusty brown. I have saturated the pic to make it look the way it looks.

Attachment 522315

After K-Top I returned to Leh. Come evening I took her to the city for a small ride. We returned at nite and again she started to feel dizzy. Immediately I gave her Oxygen, pumped in some medicines and slept off.

The next morning I took her to the Military Hospital. The Docs said, she CANNOT ride to Nubra/Pangong Tso/Manali.

I asked what will cure her from HAMS. They said she has to be flown out of Leh to Delhi and that is the only cure.

Huh? What ? Effectively, Medini's Ladakh sujorn had an abrupt end.

She was DEVASTATED !!

Next morning I put her on a Jet Airways flight ...she was weeping....

I told her "Baby, this is not over yet. I will bring you back to Ladakh!"

I did !! In Aug/Sept 2013....this time NO HAMS.

Amen to Team Bhp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks