Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 06:36   #46
BHPian

re: Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09

Here are some pics on the Kargil Lomayuru route, which were the hardest thus far to ride.

Medini admires the amazaing panoramic view of the desolate rusty looking hard rock mountains.

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-desolate-road-medini.jpg

Totally stressed out after hard offroading ride and nowhere to go. The bike engine had dangerously overheated by now.

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-gravelled-road-medini.jpg

I had a crazy idea to ride up the hill with Medini shooting pics. She refused to let me do that.

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-offroading-top-hill.jpg

Medini in a trance, stupified with the magnificient view of the desolate mountain ranges.

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-medini-trance-admiring-view.jpg

The dangerous route successfully done two crazy oldie Nomads stop to shoot themselves with a tripod

Name:  BikeNomds.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  145.6 KB

A View from the handlebars of the Avenger!

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-view-handle-bars.jpg
Old 24th March 2011, 07:02   #47
BHPian

DREAM ROAD KOLATSE TO LEH

After resting the night at Kolatse, we started to ride the next morning to Leh.

The road was a dream tarmac skirting nicely along the river Indus. Plenty of greenary all round. The terrain and the view changed dramatically from the Hard Rock Cafe to prestine Kashmir like view all round. Amazing I say !!

Some 60 kms done, and we got the first glimpse of Leh………

!!! Wow WoW WoW !!!

We had ARRIVED at LEH !!

07-09 July: We had originally planned to arrive Leh 09 July. Instead, because we gave Srinagar a miss, we arrived 07 July.

We stayed at the magnificent Corps HQ Army Transit Camp. We met many young Army Officers in the Mess who had returned to Leh after a tour of duty at Siachin. Heard thrilling stories of their adventures at the Siachin glacier. I wanted to go to Siachin IMMEDIATELY!

The young Army Captains and Majors were stunned that Medini and I had biked to Leh from Jammu.

!! The brotherhood of Arms!! they said and drank a toast to us ! Wow…

After a terrific evening with the Army Officers, we hit the sack.....but ...

HIGH ALTITUDE MOUNTAIN SICKNESS

That night HAMS (High Altitude Mountain Sickness) hit Medini. Heavy breathing, fatigue, and much more. I caled up the Military Hospital. An Army Field Ambulance Unit got her on emergency medication and Oxygen. Next morning she was better. But not good enough to ride.

I took time out to get permits for Nubra/Pangong Tso, got the Avenger Serviced, while the Army Docs took care of Medini and the HAMS thing.

Just before Leh I got this shot .
Attached Thumbnails
Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-mountain-road-navigator.jpg  

Last edited by Stratos : 24th March 2011 at 10:17.
Old 24th March 2011, 07:29   #48

This is fantastic. This TL should be read by all those who are going thorough a so called mid-life crisis or who believe that "that it, that all life has to offer" and their biggest challenge in life is to get to work.
Sir with at-most respect i stand up and salute you and ma'am. Today you have become my personal super hero.
VBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 07:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Simpy loved that photograph with the tripod. Two intrepid bikers contemplating the road ahead. And the T-Shirt caption "Just Ride"
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 09:22   #50
BHPian

!! Mackenna's Gold !!

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-mackennas-gold.jpg
Old 24th March 2011, 09:41   #51
BHPian

Sir,
Amazing pics, please keep updating soon.
5* to mam and the log
regards
Old 24th March 2011, 09:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
!! Mackenna's Gold !!
Actually its more than that, the spirit and the photograph with Mrs. there.
Among so many others, you can safely add Coolcat21, SSTraveller and myself to your fan list.
Regards,

Last edited by Stratos : 24th March 2011 at 10:16. Reason: Quote Tag Fixed
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 10:21   #53
BHPian

Don’t have words to express. This is super amazing fantabluos. Keep showering us with great pictures and fantastic narration. Rating 5*
sanjaykaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 10:49   #54
BHPian

HIGH ALTITUDE MOUNTAIN SICKNESS

This is a serious affliction and some people can get dangerously affected by this syndrome. Luckily for Medini, the Military Docs are the best experts at HAMS. They said she should be ok to ride again after next 2 days.

KHARDUNGLA (K-Top)

While she recovered I rode off to Khardungla, the highest motorable pass in the World. This place is just 40 kms from Leh, the roads are alright.

Tis a Zen thing for Mobikers to visit K-Top.

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-k-top-nandu.jpg

I quite enjoyed photographing people and getting myself photographed behind this fancy red board.

In the biker people world if you done K-Top you done it all!

Not really true, there is a World beyond K Top. Ladakh is too big a place to finish in one trip. You need to be there 3 months to cover just 40 % of Ladakh. It is that BIG.

I rode off some kms away to get a pic of my bike against the back drop rusty brown. I have saturated the pic to make it look the way it looks.

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-avenger-ladakh.jpg

After K-Top I returned to Leh. Come evening I took her to the city for a small ride. We returned at nite and again she started to feel dizzy. Immediately I gave her Oxygen, pumped in some medicines and slept off.

The next morning I took her to the Military Hospital. The Docs said, she CANNOT ride to Nubra/Pangong Tso/Manali.

I asked what will cure her from HAMS. They said she has to be flown out of Leh to Delhi and that is the only cure.

Huh? What ? Effectively, Medini's Ladakh sujorn had an abrupt end.

She was DEVASTATED !!

Next morning I put her on a Jet Airways flight ...she was weeping....

I told her "Baby, this is not over yet. I will bring you back to Ladakh!"

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 24th March 2011 at 11:01.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:11   #55
DKG
Senior - BHPian

More than the place its the fact that both of you went on this amazing adventure together and here you are sharing that tale with us all which is heartwarming. I admire and deeply value such a spirit. Wishing you both the very best
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 11:34   #56
BHPian

tsk1979, Mod T-Bhp, his thread 5000 kms and 12 Passes, 20 day wild wild ride....

For me that Trip Log is a WINNER!

I am reading his story and studying his photography and finding it hard to finish my trip log ...

Rgds
Old 24th March 2011, 11:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Me too, me too.

You guys can ask for a dance with the Commander. I've already been given permission to dance with the Commandress... Greater fan of her to have biked all the way to Leh.

Felt very bad that her further journey got cut short due to HAMS..

Commander, a small query. When we went to Leh-Ladakh in June 2009, we carried small canisters of oxygen with us in case HAMS struck us. Due to rarified air at that altitude the body goes into a shock syndrome due to immediate lack of oxygen. That is why it is said that asthamatics are better suited, because of the constricted trachea, they breathe deep.

No, I'm not a doctor.

We did the Manali-Leh route. After we reached Manali and stayed for a night, I strictly instructed my wife and daughter to keep on taking very deep breathes periodically and sip water every hour through the entire onward journey. The dry air also causes dehydration. We successfully did our trip without ever needing the oxygen canisters.

Did you not carry oxygen with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

Actually its more than that, the spirit and the photograph with Mrs. there.

Among so many others, you can safely add Coolcat21, SSTraveller and myself to your fan list.

Regards,

Last edited by gd1418 : 24th March 2011 at 11:50.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

oh my salute to you Commander. You are one awesome some duo.
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 12:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Me too, me too.
Felt very bad that her further journey got cut short due to HAMS..

Commander, a small query. When we went to Leh-Ladakh in June 2009, we carried small canisters of oxygen with us in case HAMS struck us. Due to rarified air at that altitude the body goes into a shock syndrome due to immediate lack of oxygen. That is why it is said that asthamatics are better suited, because of the constricted trachea, they breathe deep.

Did you not carry oxygen with you?
Guru, we did not carry Oxy with us because when you do Srinagar -Leh route, the climb is gradual. On the other hand Manali to Leh you may get HAMS at Sarchu which is at 15 thou ft. Leh is only 13 thou ft or so.

In addition to what you have stated, better to start taking DIAMOX tablets starting at Manali or 3 days before arriving Manali.

Best thing to do is take NOTHING. There are many Army Medical Detachments all along Manali Leh route. They attend to all tourists and travellers with any Medical issue 24x7, free of cost.

Surprisingly people aged 70 and above dont suffer so much as younger folks from HAMS syndrome.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Capt / Commander. You are a true inspiration. I have no words to describe the feeling I got when i read the entire TLog. Hats off to you and the missus. More to the missus for going through this. Even on plain city roads, that we have in Pune, riding as a pillion is exhausting. i cant even imagine what she must have gone through. Once again- RESPECT!

Rating the thread (and you) a well deserved 5 stars.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 24th March 2011 at 12:42.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks