Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 14:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Tirthayathre: Kukke-Dharmasthala-Udipi-Murudeshwar-Kollur-Sringeri-Hornadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrives View Post
hi godeepdive
The Kollur to Sringeri stretch via Agumbe ghat was an excellent enjoyment to the one who live to drive(team bhpin)
The drive took us around 3 hours We started after breakfast in Kollur and were there at Sringeri for lunch . we trvelled slowly enjoying the beauty of the ghat.
Thanks crazydrives. . Few additional questions
1. Are there enough sign boards on the road between Kollur and Sringeri?
2. Do the temples in Sringeri close down around lunch time. We would probably be doing the same like yourself - leave after breakfast from Kollur.
3. Our plan is to spend few hours in Sringeri and then drive further on to Karakala and then to Udupi. Any views on whether this leaves us enough time for darshan at each of these places ?
Old 18th May 2011, 13:29   #17
BHPian

Yes you can easily trace the route and try to enjoy the ghat drive to the maximum.
you can have your lunch at Sringeri matt and go for darshan there. if possible you can stay there that night because the "chandra mouleeswara aaradhana" performed by the mathadhipathi is believed to be very powerful. That commences at around 9 PM in the Guru Nivas. Just being able to watch it is a great chance and is spiritually very powerfuland energising. The rooms of devasthan are availabla at quite cheap rate and are definitely manageable for a night's stay.
If you dont want that stay there, just proceed as per your plan and available time.
Old 19th May 2011, 04:59   #18
BHPian

Thanks crazydrives. Our plan is to reach Udupi by the evening - hence won't be able to stay back at Sringeri. However thanks for the suggestion - maybe another time it would be put to use.

I got a suggestion for another route from Kollur to Sringeri (and posted a similar question in another thread. Are you aware of the other route which goes via via Nagara, Thirthahalli, Koppa (SH52 and NH13 combination)

Any advise on the road conditions - how one compares to the other.
How is the ghat section in the Nagara/Koppa route ?
Old 26th May 2011, 18:14   #19
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply but i don't have any idea of the route u asked for
if you happen to get any details, please let me know
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply but i don't have any idea of the route u asked for
if you happen to get any details, please let me know
hi, unfortunately my trip did not materialize this time as my wife fell sick. I do hope to do this sometime in future. Thanks for your help and details.
Old 12th September 2013, 18:10   #21
BHPian

Hi, Though there are no recent posts to this thread, i am posting this as I plan to visit most of the places mentioned in this travelogue.
In the first week of October, I am planning a road trip (Honda City) from Bangalore with my family to various places in coastal Karnataka. This would be my first time visit to this area so need suggestions on itinerary, route map and road conditions.
Here is the plan
Day 1 - Bangalore to Horanadu (stay) (route via: Hassan, Belur, Mudigere, Kalasa)
Day 2 – Horanadu-Sringeri to Udupi (Stay) (route: need suggestions? - Agumbe or Karkala?)
Day 3 - Murudeshwar (stay)
Day 4- Gokarna / Jog falls (stay) (road condition? Route?)
Day 5 - Jog and Back to Bangalore (route via: Shimoga)

I am planning the trip with lots of breaks and want to make it bit more relaxing as I will be travelling with my mother, wifey and 2 little kids
Thanks in advance,
ark_rover
Old 17th June 2018, 18:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
is this for real? I never realized this was being done in mass scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
isn't the food served on floor is Sringeri ?
Quote:
you will have the option of eating in plates too in a different batch
Have visited Udupi a couple of times but never had the prasada there, for reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread.

Serving food on the floor or rather eating food served on the floor is a practice that is prevalent in many temples. It is actually a form of offering worship / fulfilling a vow or penance to the reigning dieties. In temples where mass annadana is not done, devotees gather firewood and small rocks to set up a rudimentary hearth, cook the food, offer it to God and then and eat it off the bare floor.

PS: I realise that this is a five year old, dormant thread. Nevertheless, I thought it prudent to comment in order to share a piece of vital information.

Last edited by dailydriver : 17th June 2018 at 18:12.

Most Viewed