Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2006, 15:07   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
Indeed. I was in North Sikkim (Yumthang, Yumsumedong) couple of months ago and it was beautiful (like the pics above).
We trekked in west Sikkim, Yoksum to D'Zongri and back. Amazing views, but it is a pity we can't capture the beauty as well as Rudra does.
Old 16th January 2006, 15:33   #32
Team-BHP Support

very nice pics Rudra. did you have any problems with the camera at -6 deg.
Old 16th January 2006, 16:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Ok, I was talking about regaining my touch. I got my first SLR in 1989, did lots of photography in early to late 90s.
Okie.. Okie... I back off...
Old 16th January 2006, 16:29   #34
BHPian

rudra sir, just two words... great pictures.

i find a few pictures of snow a tad under exposed, is that so, or do i need eye check up ???

would love to you meet you and get some tips on photography...
Old 16th January 2006, 19:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

No words to explain about the photos. Really stunning stills.

I was not able to have a full view of the picture by clicking it, it takes me to a page for uploading. Man help me to have a great screensaver in my notebook
Old 16th January 2006, 20:09   #36
Team-BHP Support

@ tifosikrishna:None of the pictures are undrexposed.However they can be surely improved in terms of tonal curve.
@ navin: No problem with -6 degrees. Both the cameras work normally upto -50 degrees. Or so Canon claims with a very loud voice. And I believe them.
@ gkrishn: What you mean by burnt is the result of 4 stages of spot metering. Again, this can be improved at raw processing stage.
@ Ajay Narayan: You don't need to ration your whisky and Manali is the last place to be dry. It's only I don't get me choice there and IMFLs are abnormally expesive.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th January 2006 at 23:27.
Old 16th January 2006, 21:04   #37
BHPian

Beautiful pics.....
Looks like you had a great time...
Old 16th January 2006, 21:32   #38
BHPian

beautiful pics some absolutely panoramic views of that valley ...somethin

which reminds me of the LOTR trilogy's picturisation of New Zealand..wanna go there once

and do a trailblaze with my Ford Endeavour...
Old 17th January 2006, 11:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
@ tifosikrishna:None of the pictures are undrexposed.However they can be surely improved in terms of tonal curve.
may be i wasn't able to articulate what i felt. to be more precise, in my opinion, i felt the snow in few of the snaps dint look as white as it should have looked.

regards
krishna.
Old 17th January 2006, 11:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manali
Is this place also called as "KULUMANALI" or thats a different place
Old 17th January 2006, 11:47   #41
Team-BHP Support

One needs clear sun falling on snow light to get bright white snow. That wasn't the case most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Kullu (also a valley) is one of the district in Himachal Pradesh and Manali is a small town in Kulu valley.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th January 2006 at 11:50.
Old 17th January 2006, 11:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Kullu and Manali are two different cities... But yes generally said in the same breath.
Old 17th January 2006, 12:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
One needs clear sun falling on snow light to get bright white snow. That wasn't the case most of the time.
i missed that point. thanks for your clarification.

regards
krishna.
Old 17th January 2006, 16:00   #44
Team-BHP Support

Brings back some good old memories, though i don't have a single snap half as good as yours. A mumbai-delhi-manali drive has been on my mind since ages now . . . the thought just got refreshed, time to do something about it.
How many kms is manali from delhi though (i had gone almost a decade back)?

manson.
Old 17th January 2006, 16:59   #45
BHPian

Dear Rudra Sir, wonderful effort. First, to share your travel experience and second, to share those wonderful shots of the Himalayas, a subject close to the heart of many like us.

With all due respect Sir, I have to say, couple of shots are a tad underexposed. Difficult to point out which ones as they are not numbered. However, if you notice the tonality, the snow in some shots is underexposed to the extent of 1/3rd or 1/2 stop. I think you had spot metered snow and had not opened up exposure by by 1-2 stops (depending upon the overall tonality of the photo considering all elements therein) in a few shots. In most cases, the shots are perfectly exposed, under the circumstances under which you had to shoot (overcast conditions). These shots can easily be improved in photoshop by slightly adjusting the curves and working with selective colours (as you must be already aware). Request you to do so, as these shall improve the otherwise beautiful shots a lot. I understand it is a question of time and effort again, but might be worth it. A great effort that is truly appreciated, but can be improved with little post processing.

The first rays on the peaks deserve special kudos. Were you shooting just digital or some film as well ? If film, do you shoot slides ? I have a projector at home and we can catch up sometime and relive the moments.

OFF TOPIC : Samurai, since you are so interested in the subject, maybe you can do some reading at this wonderful site : www.photo.net . It is a wonderful resource for anyone who is photographically oriented. I am a member there and should anyone feel interested, one can view my portfolio at
http://www.photo.net/photos/saikat.pathak . One may click on each photo to enlarge.

Rudra Sir, please don't get offended or even think I am trying to impose my views. I am much younger to you to do that. I know how difficult it is to control exposure at high altitude with varying contrast levels. This is a subject extremely close to my heart and hence could not avoid posting my views.

Once again, great effort.

Thanks & Regards

Last edited by S Pathak : 17th January 2006 at 17:12.

Most Viewed