Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2006, 17:11   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Pathak

With all due respect Sir, I have to say, couple of shots are a tad underexposed. Difficult to point out which ones as they are not numbered. However, if you notice the tonality, the snow in some shots is underexposed to the extent of 1/3rd or 1/2 stop.

hey, i had the same feeling and he also concurred that some tonal adjustments can be done. read the previous posts.

Quote:
The first rays on the peaks deserve special kudos. Were you shooting just digital or some film as well ? If film, do you shoot slides ?
if i am right he own rolls royce of camera... canon eos 1d.

on the same token, i visited your gallery and the photos were excellent.
keep it up. are you a professional photographer or is it just a hobby?

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 17th January 2006 at 17:25.
Old 17th January 2006, 17:53   #47
BHPian

"hey, i had the same feeling and he also concurred that some tonal adjustments can be done. read the previous posts." - tifosikrishna
Have read the previous posts. Just humbly request Rudra Sir to take some time out and work on the curves. Human eyes love contrast

"if i am right he own rolls royce of camera... canon eos 1d." - tifosikrishna
Oh yes, how could I forget that...he has the kings of digital and film cameras. But not too sure what he carried in this trip (or missed it maybe), hence asked.

"on the same token, i visited your gallery and the photos were excellent.
keep it up. are you a professional photographer or is it just a hobby?" - tifosikrishna
Thanks for the appreciation. It is just a hobby.

Last edited by S Pathak : 17th January 2006 at 17:55.
Old 17th January 2006, 18:19   #48
BHPian

THAT was simply awesome ...
I envy you Rudra Sir .. your Photographs look like some pictures out of National Geographic magazine .. simply superb.. your great pictures make me feel like making a trip to Manali ...
did you get to drive on thick snow or just on some patches ?/? did you reduce your air pressure in tyres ???
Old 17th January 2006, 18:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With all due respect Sir, I have to say, couple of shots are a tad underexposed. Difficult to point out which ones as they are not numbered. However, if you notice the tonality, the snow in some shots is underexposed to the extent of 1/3rd or 1/2 stop.
half second at f9. 100ISO. Aperture Value. No Exposure Value compensation. I got what I saw. These cameras (used EOS 1V for few B&W) have never given me any doubt on exposure. This is exactly how the weather was.
Quote:
I think you had spot metered snow and had not opened up exposure by by 1-2 stops (depending upon the overall tonality of the photo considering all elements therein) in a few shots.
No use of going for spot metering. It'll work against me in a situation like that.
Quote:
These shots can easily be improved in photoshop by slightly adjusting the curves and working with selective colours (as you must be already aware). Request you to do so, as these shall improve the otherwise beautiful shots a lot. I understand it is a question of time and effort again, but might be worth it. A great effort that is truly appreciated, but can be improved with little post processing.
Yes there can be an so called improvement, I agree. But the question is if I want to do that. Since you're in the same city, request you to come home to see some prints (once they're ready) from them. I don't really think that one should correct it to that extent of changing it from what it was.
Quote:
one can view my portfolio at
http://www.photo.net/photos/saikat.pathak . One may click on each photo to enlarge.
Seen them. Fantastic.
Quote:
Rudra Sir, please don't get offended or even think I am trying to impose my views.
I'm not offended and you're not imposing your view.
Quote:
I am much younger to you to do that.
Learn from everybody..that's what my father told me long back.
Quote:
know how difficult it is to control exposure at high altitude with varying contrast levels.
It was not difficult at all. Most of the time it was huge gray mass.
Old 17th January 2006, 18:43   #50
BHPian

I understand, the overcast weather is sad for outdoor photography, but great for potraits, product. And I agree with your apathy towards "so called" improvements. All photographers detest that. So do I and just try matching my posts against my slides, nothing more. If you have got what you saw, then let them be as they are.

"No use of going for spot metering. It'll work against me in a situation like that. " - Not too sure about that. Anyway, as long as any metering technique works for the photographer, there is not much to debate.

"Since you're in the same city, request you to come home to see some prints (once they're ready) from them. " - Would just love it Sir. Just let me know when they are ready.

"It was not difficult at all. Most of the time it was huge gray mass." - I know, in that weather, one cannot expect anything else.
Old 17th January 2006, 18:57   #51
BHPian

I was very vague when I said burnt out. But pathak was more to the point. But yeah, I also completely missed to take into account the heavy clouds. Great going guys. Keep your discussion coming… its lot more informative.

Quote:
can easily be improved in photoshop by slightly adjusting the curves and working with selective colours (as you must be already aware)
No. I am not aware of this. Please explain. If this is too much off topic, then we can have a seprate thread on "how to improve pic using PS"...
Old 17th January 2006, 19:03   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
No. I am not aware of this. Please explain. If this is too much off topic, then we can have a seprate thread on "how to improve pic using PS"...
I would love to play around with PS on my older photos, but I find it too expensive. Why pay so much for PS when I would barely use 10% of it's abilities.

Pathak: Your gallery was amazing. I see you are still using Film based SLR, any thoughts on upgrading to dSLR? Hmm, I think I know the answer, it is probably impossible to replace the F3 with any dSLR below 3 lakhs.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th January 2006 at 19:12.
Old 17th January 2006, 19:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Why pay so much for PS when I would barely use 10% of it's abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

Pathak: Your gallery was amazing. I see you are still using Film based SLR, any thoughts on upgrading to dSLR? Hmm, I think I know the answer, it is probably impossible to replace the F3 with any dSLR below 3 lakhs.
You nailed it Samurai. People who know what F3 is, would know I cannot afford a digital equivalent :(. That said, I am looking forward to D200. Thanks for the appreciation.

As regards PS, let's meet up and I shall give the PS7 written in a CD, of course for free. Use it bindaas. It makes sense to master it if you are after digital, or even if you shoot film and wish to post in a website.

"can easily be improved in photoshop by slightly adjusting the curves and working with selective colours (as you must be already aware)" - This indeed shall be OT. PM me sometime and I shall try to explain.

In fact, the entire discussion is going OT. Let's stick to the travelogue discussion here.

Last edited by S Pathak : 17th January 2006 at 19:37.
Old 18th January 2006, 08:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Great pics Rudra!

Wish I had 1/10 of your talent.
Old 18th January 2006, 18:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Rudra, truly awesome. How about a thread on tips for budding camera men?

Last edited by typeOnegative : 18th January 2006 at 18:24.
Old 19th January 2006, 10:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Rudra sir, I was spellbound by those amazing pictures, what beautiful places, you have captured them so well....
Old 19th January 2006, 15:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Samurai]I would love to play around with PS on my older photos, but I find it too expensive. Why pay so much for PS when I would barely use 10% of it's abilities.
[quote]

Samurai, If you are sure that you don't need all the features of PS, go for PS Elements. I believe it is the best software for the hobbist photographers who feel PS is too expensive for their requirements...

Last edited by satish_appasani : 19th January 2006 at 16:08.
Old 19th January 2006, 16:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Rudra sir
Great travelogue. I knew if a thread is started by you, it's a master piece.

From my very little knowledge, i can understand how difficult it is to expose the bright snow and dark mountains in a single frame.
Old 19th January 2006, 16:33   #59
Joz
BHPian

Awesome pics and writeup Rudra. How i wish i was a tenth as good as you are with the camera!!! Really cool.

OT: Would love to see some fresh (stuning) pics of your Amby.
Old 24th January 2006, 18:02   #60
BHPian

MIND BLOWING pics Rudra sir!!

reminding you on that photography tutorial

Most Viewed