Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 22:48   #1
BANNED

Travelogue : West, North and Central India

Hi

I love driving and specially Long-long drives. So, last year I started thinking of doing some long travel thru Road and even finalized the thing but unfortunately my plan did not materialize and I curtailed my trip vto half of the destinations because my parents informed me last year that they will visit me but this year I decided that in any case, I've to do this trip covering 9 staes and 1 Union Territory.

The whole planning took almost 4 months and I specially thank HVK Sir, who helped me a lot in giving final shape to my plans by providing detailed routes alongwith Hotel details etc.

Now not to stretch preface too much, coming to the real plan.

My plan started with discussion with my wife and kids that this year we will go to our parental place DELHI by Road from Bangalore and I promised them that we will try to cover as many places and will try to gather as much information which can be useful for them in their future studies.

So, the final plan which shaped well is :

Departure from Bangalore and cover Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Jaipur, Delhi, (Vaishno Devi and Amritsar [ mother feels comfortable], Dehradun, Agra, Gwalior, Jhansi, Khajuraho, Bandhavgarh, Jabalpur, Nagpur, Hyderabad and then back to Bangalore.

The whole trip is stretched to 24 days.

Passengers : 4 (Me, My Wife, My 6 Yr. old Son, and my Nick TV Super Star - Vanshika - My Daughter
Vehicle : Logan DLS fully loaded
Entertainment : almost 31 Gb of Movies, 15 Gb of Songs from Rafi, Kishore, and hits of 2010
Imaging Solution : My 2 Nos. Canon DSLRs, Canon Prime, Sigma Zoom and Tokina Wide Angles (to shoot all types of images, landscape, architecture, portraits, family, and off course Wild)
Mobile : Equipped with MyMyIndia Navigation System - latest version
Vehicle fitted with MicroVBB Security system

Now the day has come and all the luggage is packed and tomorrow is the day, when we will embark and cruise NH4 to our first destination MUMBAI -- The Tinel Town

Will continue.....

Last edited by micrographics : 5th April 2011 at 22:53.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Travelogue : West, North and Central India

Wishing you all the best for your trip, and we look forward to live updates as you make progress. With HVK guiding you, investing in the GPS Navigation system is pretty much useless!

Happy and safe motoring!
Old 5th April 2011, 23:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rakesh, at last the big journey begins. Have a safe drive, please do call us in case you need any help.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rakesh,

All the very best. Take care and drive safe. Looking forward to your experiences.
Old 7th April 2011, 22:02   #5
BHPian

Rakesh,

Have a safe trip. And keep posting as you progress. I am planning a trip on the same route till Udaipur. So anxiously waiting for some details.
Old 7th April 2011, 22:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post

Departure from Bangalore and cover Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Jaipur, Delhi, (Vaishno Devi and Amritsar [ mother feels comfortable], Dehradun, Agra, Gwalior, Jhansi, Khajuraho, Bandhavgarh, Jabalpur, Nagpur, Hyderabad and then back to Bangalore.

The whole trip is stretched to 24 days.

Passengers : 4 (Me, My Wife, My 6 Yr. old Son, and my Nick TV Super Star - Vanshika - My Daughter
Vehicle : Logan DLS fully loaded
Entertainment : almost 31 Gb of Movies, 15 Gb of Songs from Rafi, Kishore, and hits of 2010
Imaging Solution : My 2 Nos. Canon DSLRs, Canon Prime, Sigma Zoom and Tokina Wide Angles (to shoot all types of images, landscape, architecture, portraits, family, and off course Wild)
Mobile : Equipped with MyMyIndia Navigation System - latest version
Vehicle fitted with MicroVBB Security system

Wishing you a very safe trip.

This is a very long road trip that you have planned all in 24 days Looks like touch and go in the cities.

I think you forgot to mention one gear - Laptop with datacard. That would ensure that we would get regular updates
Old 12th April 2011, 15:06   #7
BANNED

Thanks to all for their Wishes.

I've completed my first section of the trip and have reached Delhi safely.

Sorry not many images to upload but will upload once I transfer the images to my laptop. Meanwhile, I'm sharing my experience on first section of my trip i.e. from Bangalore to Delhi.

Day 1 : 6th April 2011

We started at 5.30 a.m. from our home and hit the NH4 at Yeshwanthpur by 5.45 p.m. and headed towards our first destination Pune.

The road surface is fantastic and we did not faced any problem.

As suggested by HVK Sir, I decided to have lunch at Belgaum at Hotel Sankam but could not find it and even the localited were not aware of its exact location.

Secondly, there are two left service roads for Belgaum from Highway which made it slightly difficult to locate.

We reached Pune at 7 p.m. and stayed at Hotel Ginger. Good rooms but costly. Very slow Wifi Internet connectivitiy.

Day 2 : 7th April, 2011

We started off at 6.30 from Pune and headed to Mumbai and then our next Destination Udaipur

We hit Western Express Highway by 10.00 a.m. and my first experience with under construction roads and enumerable diversions started and lasted till Surat.

For those who are planning to go on NH8 on this particular stretch must keep some extra time to cover this stretch.

The road from Surat to Udaipur is fantastic.

We stayed at Sneha Resort at Udaipur - best place to stay. Good ambience and clean rooms.

Day 3 : 8 April 2011 : Udaipur to Jaipur

We started at 7.30 from Udaipur and reached Ajmer at 1.00 p.m. but due to Friday Namaz, we were not able to enter the Holy shrine and returned without visiting the pplaced and headed to Jaipur.

We reached Jaipur by 2.30 p.m. and we checked into Hotel Arya Niwas at Sansar Chandra Road. The hotel is having goood rooms and food is extra ordinarily cheap but quality is very good.

Day 4 : 9 April, 2011 : Jaipur - Sightseeing and Shopping

Day 4 : Jaipur to Delhi

We started from Jaipur at 3.30 and as per my expectation we were supposed to reach Delhi in 5.30 hours but due to continuous diversions, it took almost 2 more hours and we reached at Delhi 9my parents place) at 10.30 p.m.

On the way, we stoped at Sagar Ratna (approx. 110 kms from Delhi). The food was good and tasty.

Will continue.....
Old 12th April 2011, 16:39   #8
BHPian

Nice Travelogue micrographics. Enjoy your journey and have a great trip.

Wishing you a very safe travel. Awaiting for your latest updates and Photo !!!
Old 18th April 2011, 19:34   #9
BANNED

Continue from last post :

April 15-18 : Delhi-Dehradun-Delhi

I started from Delhi to Dehra Dun to visit my Inlaws house on April 15 around 6.15 a.m. and reached Dehradun around 12 noon.

Now after crossing Hindon River you need not have to go to Ghaziabad to take left turn for Meerut, instead you can take left turn approx. 200 mts. after Hindor Bridge and this road is recently laid one and is 4 laned. The exit is somewhere nr. Murad Nagar.

Further, Meerut Bye pass is almost complete express one Bridge over th Railway Crossing and another after Modipuram.

The road from there onward is fantastic and Muzzafarnaga Bye pass is complete though as of now it is not a tolled road but most probably by April End of Mid May it will e converted into Toll Road and Toll Charges for Car/Jeep will be Rs. 50/-

Road after Muzzaffarnagar is in bad shape because of doubling work till Roorkee.

Further the road fom Roorkee till Jawahar Tunnel in Rajaji National Park is in extremely bad shape and anyone may face occassionally lont traffic jams. I also got stuck in JAM while returning from Dehradun for alm,ost 4 hours.

Will continue my next legt when I'll start for Agra on Saturday.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

@micrographics - Were you able to download the pics to your laptop? It would be great if you can upload the snaps as well. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:43   #11
BANNED

Amit

I've transferred images to my laptop but unfortunately my laptop is not having Photoshop installed so unable to process. I'm exoecting to get a copy of Photoshop in next few days then I'll process and upload.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:35   #12
BHPian

wish you godspeed.
Do let me know incase you need any assistance while in central india - bandhavgad, nagpur, etc....
Why not plan a few drives in Pench if you are wildlife oriented while passing through this area?

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 19th April 2011, 12:37   #13
BANNED

Abheek

I'll plan for Pench separately, most probably in Dussehra Holidays and at that time I'll trouble you.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Best of Luck Rakesh. Godspeed
I must also saw that I admire your dedication of traveling and updating the travelogue at the same time. Great work.
Cheers
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post

Road after Muzzaffarnagar is in bad shape because of doubling work till Roorkee.

Further the road fom Roorkee till Jawahar Tunnel in Rajaji National Park is in extremely bad shape and anyone may face occassionally lont traffic jams. I also got stuck in JAM while returning from Dehradun for alm,ost 4 hours.

Will continue my next legt when I'll start for Agra on Saturday.
4-laning work only between Muzaffarnagar & Roorkee? What about the Muzaffarnagar-Meerut-Ghaziabad sector?

Jam for 4 hours near Dehra Dun - why?

Most Viewed