Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2006, 15:20   #16
BHPian

Nice pics samurai. How in the world did you manage to sight so many animals? All that I have managed are the usual spotted dear and monkeys! No matter what time I take the safari

Aaah! The Nanajangud - Chamrajnagar section! 5 minutes after I took that turn to Chamrajnagar (the first left when going from mysore, the one that passes through the temple) I hit my first killer pot hole! The road was so bad that the car skidded on the loose gravel as I braked. It slid into the pothole at 15 kmph I guess. A loud BANG! My front skirt was torn away from the bumpers :(

Incidently it was the same strech that ripped up my free flow exhaust a year back. Dad was driving it. Some over brilliant villager happened to place a huge stone in the midst of the hay stack to prevent it from flying off! He went over it without seeing the stone covered by the husk. Literally tore apart the exhaust! BTW after that happened the car returned a milege of 5kmpl!
Old 17th January 2006, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Somebody recently said on this forum that Mysore road is 90% complete. No freakin way. There are still many bridges to be built, many town stretches to be made. Unless they were talking about 90% as in software projects. The first 90% take half the time and remaining 10% takes remaining half time.
I said that, but dont mind me - I drive a Safari so I dont notice the other sections as much as you would in your Baleno.

Nice report, nice pics and you and I seem to share a hobby - weekend outings....hopefully we'll make it a pair one of these weekends.
Old 17th January 2006, 18:55   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I said that, but dont mind me - I drive a Safari so I dont notice the other sections as much as you would in your Baleno.
I guess you won't notice that hay either, those villagers will love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Nice report, nice pics and you and I seem to share a hobby - weekend outings....hopefully we'll make it a pair one of these weekends.
Sure, let me know which weekends you are around Bangalore, we can plan something. We are already thinking about the next destination. Need at least a week's notice since these places need advance booking.

Just visit the web site for all the package details. The tariffs are given here.

How to go to K Gudi from Bangalore (for non-SUV owners):

1) Take Mysore road all the way to Mysore Ring road. This comes few Kms after crossing srirangapattana.

2) At Mysore ring road turn left. The ring road ends after a while and you are forced into some city road. Keep going on it, choose left whenever you come across T junctions. The idea is not to enter Mysore city. You'll see couple of left turns towards B.R hills, that will be through Kollegal, don't take it. Keep looking for Ooty or Nanjanagudu turn and take it. After this you'll come across at least 2-3 forks with no signs. This is the most tricky part, ask for directions to Nanjanagudu or Ooty and get through it.

3) After about 20 Kms you'll reach Nanjangudu after crossing a bridge. You will see one arch regarding their famous temple where there is a left turn. Take that left turn.

4) After couple of Kms, you'll come across a fork (with no sign boards), you'll see a bus stand on the right side. Take the road on the left, which goes towards the temple. After a KM, you'll pass the temple on the right. Keep going on this road towards Chamarajanagar, 42 Kms from this point.

5) Once you hit Chamarajanagar, keep looking for a HP petrol station on your left at a major traffic junction called Pachappa circle. Turn left at the petrol station and you are 35 Kms from the Jungle Lodge. You can't miss from this point.

Food:
Your best options for food is on Bangalore-Mysore road, once you leave this road, your choices are very limited. There is Kamat Lokaruchi after Ramanagara, Cafe Coffee day and Indradanush after Channapattana, Amaravathi just before Mandya, and Nandini Deluxe in Mandya (on the right side). After Mandya, you won't find anything good on the highway. If you want to enter Mysore, you have lots of options, but make sure you carry a Mysore map or remember how you entered.

For SUV owners like Steeroid, there is a shorter way, reduces nearly 30-40 KMs. Take Kanakapura road from Bangalore (go south at Family Mart Signal at Outer Ring Rd). Go through Kanakapura, reach malavalli, take a left towards Kollegal. On the way you can even checkout the shivanasamudra dam or Gaganachukki water falls. This road will go along the river Kaveri for a while. After Kollegal take the road towards yellendur, B.R Hils and finally K Gudi.

See this Map.
Old 17th January 2006, 20:13   #19
BHPian

"We are already thinking about the next destination. Need at least a week's notice since these places need advance booking." - Samurai

Try our dear Krishnagiri-Jwalarpet route and proceed to Yelagiri. Just went there on 11th. As you know, great drive and Yelagiri provides some decent hotels. 14 hair-pin curves uphill. Small neat place. At the moment, not carrying the contacts of one of the hotels - Hotel Hills, would try to send the contacts from home sometime. Try that place, more so because of the drive. Go on an early Saturday morning and return on Sunday afternoon, post lunch. 310 kms up and down from Koramangala.

Thanks for posting K Gudi travelogue, I would think twice before helping the villagers remove grain from the hay . Good effort with the pics.
Old 17th January 2006, 22:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Food:
Your best options for food is on Bangalore-Mysore road, once you leave this road, your choices are very limited. There is Kamat Lokaruchi after Ramanagara, Cafe Coffee day and Indradanush after Channapattana, Amaravathi just before Mandya, and Nandini Deluxe in Mandya (on the right side). After Mandya, you won't find anything good on the highway. If you want to enter Mysore, you have lots of options, but make sure you carry a Mysore map or remember how you entered.
You forgot Maddur Tiffany's....my favourite idli-vada joint. That miniature coffee is to die for, too! WAH!
Old 4th March 2006, 01:27   #21
BHPian

superb writeup samurai.
Old 18th April 2006, 09:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey Cool pics buddy,
I cant resist myself now it seems; I'm going to ask one more family to join me for the trip. I'll soon be checking with the JLR at Forum Mall.
I'm waiting on to buy an IR flash for my camcorder with which I can probably capture 100 Mtrs during the night as well.
I'll share the trip report as soon as I'm done. I guess I should book one very soon as monsoon is not too far now.
Old 18th April 2006, 09:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

We too did a Yelagiri trip thanks to sudden closure of the bangalore city on thursday (13th april)...and came back on 14th... This was my second trip there... We were put up in Hotel hills...very nice hotel...relished the dosas on the road side hotel opposite to the hotel...also did some trekking surrounding the lake...

BTW: nice explanation Samurai, will really help me when I plan for K Gudi...
Abhi
Old 18th April 2006, 11:30   #24
BHPian

Samurai,
As usual a good trip report with nice pics, specially the pictures of animals.

cheers
Old 7th August 2006, 16:07   #25
BHPian

Hey Samurai,
Thank you for the lovely trip that you took us on to K Gudi! Hope to do it someday soon! Excellent coverage of all activities, with links where needed!
Old 3rd March 2007, 13:53   #26
BHPian

Hi Samurai
Neat pictures.
We have been to all the Jungle Lodges resorts (except the one near Hubli).
BR Hills is the most relaxing and beutifull, as it is up in the foothills. It is also less of a "hot destination" among the JL resorts, therfore you tend to get bookings easily. Kabini is the most popular (maybe over hyped). The guest population at Kabini is huge (I think at least 150-200 capacity). You sometimes get 3-4 jeeps at one place in the jungle. Kabini is supposedly rated as one of the best wildlife resorts in the world, so dont miss it.
Try the Karwar beach resort in winter, your son will love it. Also the Mangalore - Karwar drive is a dream (B.lore - Mangalore especially the ghat section after Hassan is nightmare).
One last point, the schedule/food at all Jungle Lodges resorts are identical. (not to say that the food is bad).
Old 6th March 2007, 22:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
After walking about half KM my son started acting very tired and wanted to take the safari instead. Others were giving us looks for bringing him along.
I guessed he was faking it even as i was reading it..

Kids I tell you..
Old 7th March 2007, 08:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Shiradi ghat has improved....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_Rau View Post
Hi Samurai
(B.lore - Mangalore especially the ghat section after Hassan is nightmare).
One last point, the schedule/food at all Jungle Lodges resorts are identical. (not to say that the food is bad).
Shiradi ghat is improved now...it is not a nightmare as it used to be...got this feedback from a friend who did mangalore last weekend, he did Neelamangala to Pumpwell circle in 5 hrs in the night....

Abhi
Old 7th March 2007, 09:04   #29
BHPian

awsome pics and very good description. I heard one needs to book very early to get a reservation. How safe is to go there with kids
Old 8th March 2007, 23:02   #30
BHPian

Hey Samurai , nice write up and nice pics too, i loved the flowers one awesome looking photograph dude.One day ill also visit this place thanks for the thread.
Karan

Most Viewed