Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 12:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Potholes that I love. A summer trip to Kukdi River Potholes at Nighoj, Ahmadnagar

The farm - what are these plants with the white flowers? We actually forgot to ask the farmer. I think these are coriander plants. Can someone confirm?

The White Flowers are Ainse (Saunf) and the pink and white are Calotropis Gigantean/Lilac Arka.

I just cant remember the red and yellow flowers you have asked for will let you know when I remember

RoS
Old 19th April 2011, 13:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Potholes that I love. A summer trip to Kukdi River Potholes at Nighoj, Ahmadnagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
The White Flowers are Ainse (Saunf) and the pink and white are Calotropis Gigantean/Lilac Arka.

I just cant remember the red and yellow flowers you have asked for will let you know when I remember

RoS
Thank you RoS. Those are indeed Anise (aniseed) flowers. And contrary to my belief the Lilac Arka plant is a highly valued medicinal plant. I did not know that.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
First of all lovely pics.

The purple flowered one is suppose to be offered to Lord Shiva during prayers, still can't get the name though.
and the white one which you feel is coriander, looks like the filler flowers used in bouquets.
Like i said we aren't experts, but worth a shot anyway
Looks a little like Datura :-), since you mention Lord Shiva it kind of makes sense.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Opened this expecting brilliant photos and not disappointed. Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have had a strong association with these in my childhood. There were plenty of these (mostly along the fences of properties) along our trail to the school. We would eat the berries and play with the flowers.
+1 to this. Nostalgic. Called arippoo in Malayalam, but it is an import - a weed actually called lantana.

For me the Calotropis also has a strong childhood association - they host a caterpillar for a beautiful Butterfly. During schooldays, I used to bring these caterpillars home along with the leaves to 'raise' it at home in a basket. After few days, it becomes a pupa and then a beautiful butterfly, which I release outside happily. And thats why I still remember the name Calotropis, though I was very weak in Botany

Thanks for bringing back those memories
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 11:24   #20
BHPian

Some really nice pics there, who knew one day we would actually like potholes
How bad is the stretch on way to Nighoj ? and what is the average travel speed we can expect, because i plan to take a visit to this place after seeing the pics but want be sure to choose the right bike for the trip
Old 26th April 2011, 14:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
The farm - what are these plants with the white flowers? We actually forgot to ask the farmer. I think these are coriander plants. Can someone confirm?

RoS
Remebred now. those are called Lantana. Thanks for letting me help.
RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 10:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Some really nice pics there, who knew one day we would actually like potholes
How bad is the stretch on way to Nighoj ? and what is the average travel speed we can expect, because i plan to take a visit to this place after seeing the pics but want be sure to choose the right bike for the trip
Thanks Shridhar. If you are going on a bike, the roads are not a problem. You can simply dodge around the potholes on the roads. Start early in the morning to beat the sun. You can safely do 40-50 kmph once you leave the Nagar highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks