Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2011, 18:28   #1
BHPian

Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip

It’s been quite some time now that I had joined xBHP. In this period I had developed a couple of very good friendships. Now I have always had a desire for a group long ride and that to preferably to hills. But because of one reason or other I was not able to fulfil this desire.

But this time all the stars had aligned. After riding in town with me for more than 1 year now my wife had become comfortable on the bike, the finance part was also there and of course this time I had perfect company also. Hence we decided for the ride to the mountains.

It was a 4 day ride. The itinerary:
1st day: Delhi – Chindi (450 Km)
2nd day: Chindi – Shoja (100 Km)
3rd day: Shoja – Naldera (110 KM)
4th day: Naldera - Delhi (420 Km)

The Participants:
1) Rachit and Pooja (Karizma)
2) Raktim and Sushmita (FZ16)
3) Rakesh and Seema (FZ16)
4) Shivanshu (R15)
5) MJ (R15)

After almost one month of planning, meeting and preparations the day had come 9th April. I will admit that India winning the world cup also helped us pass this one month as to pass time before the ride was very difficult because of anxiety.

Anyways me and Pooja started from Gurgaon at 3.15 in the morning. We met the rest of the group near IIT at around 3.45. From there we went to Sarai Kale Khan bus stand. There we waited for Rakesh who because of some misunderstanding got slightly late. In the end finally I guess we pushed of around 4.45. It was cool, weather seemed perfect and as agreed we all rode together under strict speed limits. Till murthal I guess it was clean eventless ride as we all expected because of the plain highway and our eyes so desperate for the twisties. At murthal we had our first break. Everybody was full of energy and spirits were really high.

First Pit Stop around Murthal:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0288.jpg

Once we started from here, we slightly increased the pace because things were looking comfortable and we still had a long way to go. The next stop was Jhilmil Dhaba at Karnal.
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0290.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00805.jpg

After quite a heavy breakfast we started towards Zirakpur. We didn’t go to Chandigarh. We straightway turned towards Shimla from Zirakpur. We encountered heavy traffic Jam in Kalka as it was the Navratras and there is a famous temple in Kalka. It was the first test of the bikes or I would say torture specially to the clutch as it is uphill and stop go traffic. By the time we got out of that mess, the bikes were running real hot. Our plan was to have tea at me friends place in Parwanoo. We reached parwanoo and took a decently lengthy break as everybody was relaxed that boring highway was done and next was the twisties.

From there started the real journey. Everybody started really joining. Riders were enjoying Riding and pillions enjoyed Vistas.

Somewhere on the way:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00832.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01599.jpg

Then we reached Solan. There we again took a break. We took a lot of frequent breaks it was the first such long ride for the ladies. From Solan onwards we started to look for a place to have lunch.
Finally managed a small Dhaba type place and stopped there. The food was amazing. Some photos of the place:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0299.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0300.jpg

After Solan, the road widens, the tarmac was smooth and the turns were flowing one after another. By this time ladies were also comfortable being pillion on the hills. That gave us a chance to increase our pace slightly and enjoy the leans. I was having big trouble just to keep up with all other Yamahas because of their wonderful handling and nice sticky tyres. Even my power advantage was not helping me much. From there on it was continuous workout for me to keep up.

Then we reached Shimla, tanked up and moved ahead. From Shimla to Naldera the roads are smooth and the turns are sharper but the tone was set and se reached Naldera in no time. There we took a break at a hotel where it would be our third night stay.

Some photos from the hotel:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01602.jpg

From there we had to go around 60 kms more and it was already 6.30 in the evening. All the pillion and at least me were slightly tired. But we had to move further. From there the roads were slimmer and not that smoother. It was constant fight to keep the tyres away from gravel and keep on going. Finally we reached our first night halt at around 9.15. On seeing the rooms we were might impressed.

Some clicks of the hotel:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00850.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0305.jpg

This was the First Day’s log. I apologise for less clicks as this day we were riding most of the time.
I promise better clicks for the next day’s logs.

A trailer of the Next Day:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00963.jpg
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2011, 22:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip

Interesting.
Read about your trip on the other forum.
Post more pics.
I am off to Jalori,this coming Good friday with 60 odd people.
How much snow was present around Jalori?
Old 17th April 2011, 23:38   #3
BHPian

@Akshay: Yeah! My friend told me about the BCMT meet happening at Shoja. When we reached Jalori, there was some snow. The night we were there it rained and in the morning we had some fresh snowfall at Jalori. It wasnt much but yes there was snow.

The second day we woke up and found the weather to be cloudy. Had breakfast and got our Raincoats out. We set out for Shoja.

Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0316.jpg

Although the distance to be traveled today was only 100 km but continuous mild rain, narrow roads and regular masti/photo breaks actually made us take 7 hours for the journey.

Some photos en route:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00893.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00899.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0319.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0322.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0326.jpg

We found a Water Fall en route and everybody went crazy:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0324.jpg

Then moving ahead, we were making decent pace when when we actually saw the sutlej river and we got naughty. We took the bikes to river bed and got some taste of Heavy Sand.
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00922.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00926.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00930.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00933.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00936.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0041.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0341.jpg

From there we started the climb uphill. Around 15 kms before Jalori pass the incline became higher and the drop along the road was massive. I have a mild vertigo and just looking at drop on my side of the road gave me shivers. From there I rode in the middle of the road slowly and avoided going left. Just Exactly 6 km before Jalori the incline becomes even more steep and tarmac gives way to broken road. We had to negotiate this part completely on 1st & 2nd gear. But once we reached Jalori everybody went silent.
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0348.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0343.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0350.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0353.jpg

Then the steep decline of 5 km to Shoja. The decline was also pretty steep hence it was 2nd gear from me all the way down.
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00962.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00963.jpg

And finally around 6 in the evening we reached Shoja. Had some rest.
Old 18th April 2011, 06:50   #4
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Rachit thats lots of snow even at this time. We didn't get time visit Naldehra in our recent trip in March. i am hooked to your log.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:48   #5
BHPian

@V&V: Thank you so much!! Yup!! There was snow at Jalori Pass even at this time of the year.

The 3rd day, my eyes opened at around 7.30 in the morning. I looked out of the window and it was sunny. Didnt feel like getting up so kept lying on the bed. Suddenly within 15 minutes I heard noises like it was windy outside. I ignored as how can it be possible as it was sunny 15 mins ago. But the noises grew and suddenly it felt like it has started raining outside. Then I looked out of the window and voila!! it was raining. I was shocked. Even being a Himachali I have never seen weather change so quickly. I came out of the room and boy was I stunned. Thank You God for that lovely dance of clouds in front of our eyes. We all were stunned. It was beautiful.

Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01009.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01010.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01015.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0363.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0364.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0365.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0366.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0367.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0368.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-img_0369.jpg

Our Bikes parked:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01005.jpg

We leaving to get the petrol:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01032.jpg

We could see that its snowing at Jalori hence we waited for sometime so that couple of vehicles pass through the road and break any ice present on the road.

We started at around 2 in the afternoon from Shoja. The destination today was Naldera. The distance to be covered 110 Km.

Victims of Hills:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc00977.jpg

When we started our ascend towards Jalori, we could see the fresh Snowfall. Thankfully there was no ice on the road but it was still very slushy, very steep and hence very slippery.
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01608.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01609.jpg

A Video of the ascend:

One video of the downhill from Jalori:

Thankfully on the other side of the Jalori there was no snow. We maintained a very slow and careful pace.
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01046.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01053.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01070.jpg

We received some rainfall on the way also. On the way back we took some different route. This was all along Sutlej River and the road was not in the best of conditions.
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01104.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01118.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01139.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01152.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01612.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01615.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01639.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01145.jpg

We took a lot of breaks and kept moving. Finally reaching Naldera at around 8.30 in the night. Todays ride was very tiring but very satisfying.
Old 18th April 2011, 14:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff man - bring it on!

You guys didnt go to Serolsar lake?

Why not complete the loop?
Old 19th April 2011, 00:41   #7
BHPian

@phamilyman: Thank You Sir. Honestly I am not aware of Serolsar lake. Also already our trip had so much riding that I guess we were in no position to do any other place. Probably Next time.

As for the 4th and the final day log there is not much to write.

When we all woke up in the morning we all were sad about the feeling of going back. Nobody wanted to leave. Also we all were skeptical about the fact we had to ride more than 400 Km that day and our bodies were in no shape to take that beating.

But we had to leave. So we started around 9.30 in the morning from Naldera. Didnt get much traffic in Shima. Maintained some pace some distance before Solan we hit heavy rainfall. Still we kept moving. Took a break at solan. From solan onwards it was dry. We reached Zirakpur by 3. Had lunch took some rest and started our journey. After riding for hills for 3 days straight highway was very boring and the pain in our butts was also adding to the misery. After every 1 hour we had to stop because our backside was not able to take it. Somehow we managed to reach delhi by 9.30 in the night. It was a long and very tiring day but what made us happy was we all successfully completed the trip without any hiccups.

Some pics:
Shimla
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01647.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01646.jpg

Petrol break at Solan:
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01170.jpg

Probably some new train or some minister's baraat
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01168.jpg
Delhi - Jalori Pass - Shoja - Delhi 4 days Bike Tip-dsc01169.jpg

Thank you guys for reading. It was a very special trip for all of us. The fact that it was difficult and very tiring made it even more special.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:26   #8
BHPian

Firstly many congrats for a safe completion of a wonderful ride. The hills are indeed the best destination for bikers. And your pics and TL has made me envious of you all (in all good senses). It was surely great to see the wonderful areas and you all seem to have thoroughly enjoyed the rides. Do post as to how did the bikes perform and any special care that you took for the bikes.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:49   #9
BHPian

Thank you very much justwheels. I agree that we are blessed in the sense that we have hills though some distance from here but still atleast they are approachable.

As for how did the bikes perform. We they performed flawlessly. I had some issues with my tyre grip on wet but that was just a tyre issue. Apart from that no hiccups at all.

Apart from Hill Riding precautions I guess we just tried to be smooth with the machinery. Also the fact that we had to stop at regular intervals made sure bikes had time to cool down. Another thing that we made sure was the chain lube. We used to lube the chains every morning and just kept a check at tyre pressure. Nothing very serious or critical.

Most Viewed