Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:51   #1
BHPian

Modifying original Banded Steel rims for the Classic muscle car look

Dear Bhpians,

I stumbled upon this site while searching for painting options for stock rims for my Conti. I just loved these really stand out as they add to the classic profile of the car.

Could any of the experts shed some light on the same and how these are customized, how they perform. I am wondering if i can get the same sort of job done on the stock rims which will result in the dish type look yet, retain the charm of the steel rims.

I tried searching the forum for these banded rims , however, could not find much info on the same, hence, starting this topic.

Here's a link with a Corsa running the said wheels:

CAR FEATURE>> VAUXHALL CORSA W/ BANDED STEELS - Speedhunters

And some details i found on the VW fourm. It seems a lot of UK, US custom car manufacturers used these wheel for the classic builds. I am intrigued by the same and would appreciate if any pointer can be given as to where i can try/experiment out to do this on a spare rim i have.
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying original Banded Steel rims for the Classic muscle car look-banded_steels_009.jpg  

Modifying original Banded Steel rims for the Classic muscle car look-band-thickness.jpg  

Modifying original Banded Steel rims for the Classic muscle car look-images.jpg  

Old 24th May 2011, 12:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Modifying original Banded Steel rims for the Classic muscle car look

How safe would it be? The wheels are the only point of contact the car has with the ground, hence it is important to know if they would pose any risk during driving.
If so, it is better to spend a little more on getting good rims, then trying to save a little here and risking a lot more.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:45   #3
BHPian

Re: Modifying original Banded Steel rims for the Classic muscle car look

Dear Lambo,

I agree with you on the concern for safety part. However, i am quite curious ( not because of the cost saving) however, due to the fact that there are quite a lot of companies even selling/customising the same for race car usage.

In concept, it seems interesting and it may be a useful add on for cars with hard to find lug patterns or offsets.

On further research on the same, i also ran across posts wherein the current rims centers are unwelded and rewelded on a MIG/TIG jig to change the offsets !! And the rims manufacturing also involves heating the outer ring and pressing the centre into the rim followed by welding it in place. If this can be duplicated, the deep dish wheel design rims can be remade (example: at specialized wheel manufacturing companies eg TVS etc)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks