Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 11:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi Folks

With Leh trip in mind , can you recommend some better A/T tires for Fortuner . I want to keep the OE alloys .

Thanks for the help in Advance .
Old 26th May 2011, 11:50   #2
BHPian

re: Tyre Upgrade for FORTUNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hi Folks

With Leh trip in mind , can you recommend some better A/T tires for Fortuner . I want to keep the OE alloys .

Thanks for the help in Advance .
Try the Yokohama Geolander AT/S. I have heard some good reviews. Also BF Goodrich has very good off-road reviews. Both are LT rated (I think) and hence make for good on & off road usage.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thanks , Yokohama - somehow i dont like - very bad experience about 10 years back -

BF Goodrich - any idea from where I can pick in Delhi NCR or Chandigarh

I came across this - any experience - BK Tires in Delhi is Quoting around 16,500 Each - & Michelin recommends this for LC Prado

Michelin Latitude Cross
Old 26th May 2011, 12:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks , Yokohama - somehow i dont like - very bad experience about 10 years back -

BF Goodrich - any idea from where I can pick in Delhi NCR or Chandigarh

I came across this - any experience - BK Tires in Delhi is Quoting around 16,500 Each - & Michelin recommends this for LC Prado

Michelin Latitude Cross
A colleague picked up the BF Goodrich's from Reliance AutoZone in Ambience Mall, Gurgaon. He bought them for Rs. 6500/tyre.
Just a word of caution; when you pick them up (if you do), please check on the valves and the surrounding areas very carefully.
No experience till date with michelin or BK Tiers. You may try contacting tsk13. He might have a fair idea.
Alternatively, try Delhi NCR - Team-BHP
rideon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 14:24   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tyre Upgrade for FORTUNER

Samurai, Jaggu & Khan Sultan swear by the Yokohama Geolander. It's a great on-road & off-road tyre; Leh means bad roads, plus the Fortuner can manage some mild offroading too. I'd pick this tyre without a second thought.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 14:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Samurai, Jaggu & Khan Sultan swear by the Yokohama Geolander. It's a great on-road & off-road tyre; Leh means bad roads, plus the Fortuner can manage some mild offroading too. I'd pick this tyre without a second thought.
Even Jay who has a Safari changed to Yokohama Geolander AT/S if I am not wrong. Though a different thread (only for safaris), but this still might help you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ari-tyres.html

And, a graph for which I might be helpful:

Consumer Survey Results By Category

Also, you can have a look at Michelin LTX AT/2.

Last edited by bantejas : 26th May 2011 at 14:41.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

i would strongly suggest Goodyear Wrangler !!

that tyre is known for serious off roading !!

this link might help you !!
http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/gymtr99/mtshot.jpg
Old 26th May 2011, 21:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to everyone ,

I went to Relianace Autozone in Ambi Mall and bought 4 of Michelin Latitude Cross (Michelin Latitude Cross ) - I am kind of Michelin fan besides Tread of Yokohama were little solid for my taste . More details as I drive however I can feel a change in Height of Car already may be because of ' lightness' of Wallet ! @ Rs 16,500 each not very cheap and that too only after negotiations - Yes never think that Reliance guys have fixed rates - the guy quoted around 18200 and I kind of walked out before he agreed to 16500 but the sales guy was direct Import from Kashmere Gate / Karol Bagh - he gave reasons about high rates citing that these tires are manufactured for Indian road conditions whereas in Market these will be Grey Imports and may not be suitable for Indian market and blah blah so my advise will be to check rates at at least 2-3 places before buying , 1000 X 4 = nice dinner in Leela...
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 20:45   #9
BHPian

You have made a nice choice there. The Latitude Cross have quite an interesting pattern.
Just a little query, Do the tyre's have "ISI" mark on them? I recently switched from JK's to Geolander's for my Scorpio, and the tyre guy told me that now it is mandatory for each and every tyre brand to have "ISI" mark.
Old 19th September 2012, 16:54   #10
BHPian

How good are stock tyres though? Does it make sense to replace them after delivery ?
Old 12th April 2013, 22:31   #11
BHPian

The best tyres / tires for a stock Fortuner

Hello everyone. Its time to change the tires / tyres on my Fortuner. Could someone suggest the best as per their experience.

I have had the Dunlop AT that came with the vehicle. I heard from Toyota that there is an option with Bridgestone but these tires are not AT and then again there is the logic that most of the cars never venture off road and are on city roads and highways which is very true with my car but since I never had an issue with the Dunlop AT's and have read some really disheartening stuff on tbhp where people have tried to venture with new companies for their second set of tires and have had terrible stories to tell, I'm hoping that this could be the tread that will be conclusive and comprehensive for all Toyota Fortuner users when time comes for the second set of tires.

I've tried to see if there is any specific thread for this and since I could not I have started this. Mods, please direct me to the ones that are similar.

I have read the chronicles of few tbhpians but haven't come away convinced as too which is the best second set, so please help!
Old 13th April 2013, 09:09   #12
BHPian

Re: The best tyres / tires for a stock Fortuner

You could consider the Yokohama Geolandar AT/S in 265/65/R17 size. Good on the highway and for mild off the road driving too.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 09:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@Wasava Tyres,
How do you compare AT/S vs HT/s, for regular use ?
Will AT/S give more protection for our conditions ?
Will AT/s be noisier than HT/S ?
Old 13th April 2013, 10:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Kindly stick with the stock OE DUNLOPS's for the Fortuner. These are Made in Japan and provide the best results for our road conditions.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 10:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

A friend is using Geolanders from day one that he got his Fortuner, and has been very happy with them. Having said that, the stock tyres are also perfectly nice. Guess it is your call
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed