Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
Dear all,

I own a Toyota Fortuner Petrol AT, bought in June 2020. My truck would be going for third paid servicing soon and I have a question regarding tyre-rotation regime. The service advisor said that tyres need to be aligned, weight balanced and rotated every 10K service. Is that the true picture? I owned an XUV earlier and would align every 5K kms and weight balancing every 20K kms. Tyre rotation only when required. Please guide regarding the ideal interval for the Fortuner .

Thanks in advance.
You are the best person to decide whether wheel balancing or alignment is required or not.

If you feel steering vibrations at any particular speed, go for balancing.

If the car drifts to one side without any input to steering, it requires alignment.

Don't listen to SA. Secondly, if you decide it needs alignment or balancing, get it done outside in tire shops. Not with dealers.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th June 2021 at 07:48. Reason: Quoted post edited
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:07   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Don't listen to SA. Secondly, if you decide it needs alignment or balancing, get it done outside in tire shops. Not with dealers.
Thank you for your inputs. And what about tyre rotation? Any prescribed interval?
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
Thank you for your inputs. And what about tyre rotation? Any prescribed interval?
During regular service, the ASC will do wheel rotation. FL ->FR ->BL->Stepney -> BR->FL

Or some other standard order. This can be done every 5k kms
Old 22nd May 2021, 14:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During regular service, the ASC will do wheel rotation. FL ->FR ->BL->Stepney -> BR->FL

Or some other standard order. This can be done every 5k kms
OP - Tell the ASC not to do any of this, do it at a good tyre shop. Alignment check every 5k, balancing + alignment every 10k is best. Of course if you feel problems such as described in Gkveda's reply then go at once, don't wait for 5k or 10k intervals.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 12:08   #95
BHPian

Upgraded to the Yokohama Geolandar G015's a couple of days back. After having run on the Ceat Czar AT's for 6000 kilometres, there's a world of difference. Have driven around 700 Kilometres(including a trip to Nashik when I was able to test the grip on wet roads and when I also took a few hits to the sidewalls because of the potholes but the yokos persevered), I am very happy with my decision. Will continue to update this thread as I munch more miles. Attaching a few pics below
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210708_122842.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20210701wa0022.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20210701wa0020.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20210702wa0012.jpeg  

KK2001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 23:18   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
OP - Tell the ASC not to do any of this, do it at a good tyre shop.
In general, for aged Fortuners, is it good to continue with A.S.S. for periodic maintenance and scheduled service. Or are there good 3rd party service houses?

Asking because - Mine is 9 years old, and on recent servicing the SA wanted to add everything under the sun - wheel alignment, wheel balancing, engine decarbonizing, EGR cleaning, bacteria treatment, etc etc - in addition to normal stuff like oil change.
RoadFiend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:29   #97
BHPian

Sticking to the ASC is generally a good idea(My 2010 fortuner's always serviced at one of the Toyota service centres in Mumbai- Madhuban toyota, Millennium Toyota or lakozy Toyota, though I am not very happy with Lakozy. The key is to maintain a relationship with a service advisor.
KK2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 15:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
In general, for aged Fortuners, is it good to continue with A.S.S. for periodic maintenance and scheduled service. Or are there good 3rd party service houses?

Asking because - Mine is 9 years old, and on recent servicing the SA wanted to add everything under the sun - wheel alignment, wheel balancing, engine decarbonizing, EGR cleaning, bacteria treatment, etc etc - in addition to normal stuff like oil change.
I moved to a 3rd party service center (ArodhanaSynergy) for my 7+ year old Fortuner couple of years back. I found their service better than A.S.S and cheaper. Owner of this place used to head Nandi Toyota Service division on Kanankpura road, they also have a tie-up with Toyota for spares and various other aspects.
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 17:10   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I moved to a 3rd party service center (ArodhanaSynergy) for my 7+ year old Fortuner couple of years back. I found their service better than A.S.S and cheaper. Owner of this place used to head Nandi Toyota Service division on Kanankpura road, they also have a tie-up with Toyota for spares and various other aspects.
This is good to know. Can you please PM the contact number of SA you know here.

I would like to have my car serviced here. Just general service.

Please let me know if they do service for automatic transmission cars
Old 13th July 2021, 19:07   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is good to know. Can you please PM the contact number of SA you know here.

I would like to have my car serviced here. Just general service.

Please let me know if they do service for automatic transmission cars
I will PM you the contact, feel free to quote my name (Bobby) when you connect.

They take care of AT, mine is also an AT Fortuner
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 22:40   #101
BHPian

Took the Toyota Fortuner for wheel alignment and balancing to Straight Line at Santacruz west(which is owned by Mr Trevor Pimenta). The complementary alignment and rotation,when I got the geolandars last month, wasn't done properly. But Trevor and his team did an excellent job!
Attaching some pics below
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20210724wa0010.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20210724wa0012.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210724_160712.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 14th August 2021 at 07:30. Reason: T-Fort = Toyota Fortuner. Please type the make / model name in full. Thanks.
Old 16th August 2021, 14:32   #102
BHPian

Hi Everybody.
I Need help. Am confused a lot.
I have a 2014 4wd Fortuner. Am going to change the original Dunlop tyres at about 63k kms & have settled for BF Goodrich KO2 265/65 R17- same original size.
Now tyre weight of the all 4 BFG is around 30kgs more compared to Dunlop - will it affect( wearing out,etc) the suspension or any other parts long term .
Any advantages or disadvantages I should be looking out for? A bit of Increased Road noise , harder steering, increased FE I can settle for.
Concerns are harder/ bouncier ride , aquaplaning issues & if there will be increased wear & tear on suspension or other parts due to increased weight.
I go to Ladakh ,Spiti 1-2 times a year. Rest of the time tarmac.
Please advise.

Last edited by Nariman : 16th August 2021 at 14:42.
Old 16th August 2021, 14:39   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post

Desperate SAs looking to pad their commissions is a fact of life. You are not obligated to authorise anything that is not mentioned in the service manual.

Alignment and balancing requires much better / state of the art equipment than most dealerships will have with them. See if the balancer is Hunter Roadforce at any of your nearby tyre stores (nearby = in the same city at least), just use that. I learnt a bad lesson when using random alignment / balancing led to premature wear on a very expensive set of Michelins on a previous car, despite sticking rigidly to the 5k / 10k alignment and balancing checks at a supposedly reputable tyre store.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 14:50   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nariman View Post
Hi Everybody.
I Need help. Am confused a lot.
I have a 2014 4wd Fortuner. Am going to change the original Dunlop tyres at about 63k kms & have settled for BF Goodrich KO2 265/65 R17- same original size.
Now tyre weight of the all 4 BFG is around 30kgs more compared to Dunlop - will it affect( wearing out,etc) the suspension or any other parts long term .
Any advantages or disadvantages I should be looking out for? A bit of Increased Road noise , harder steering, increased FE I can settle for.
Concerns are harder/ bouncier ride , aquaplaning issues & if there will be increased wear & tear on suspension or other parts due to increased weight.
I go to Ladakh ,Spiti 1-2 times a year. Rest of the time tarmac.
Please advise.
Since you do Ladakh, Spiti every year, you should go with BFG eyes shut. Folks who have been using are really loving it. On road performance might not be as good as best HT tire but will be comparable to a good HT. There is no competition come offroad. I haven't heard people complain much about road noise or grip.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 14:52   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Since you do Ladakh, Spiti every year, you should go with BFG eyes shut. Folks who have been using are really loving it. On road performance might not be as good as best HT tire but will be comparable to a good HT. There is no competition come offroad. I haven't heard people complain much about road noise or grip.
Would you any idea about the increased weight affecting the suspension long term? I wouldn’t like to mess that up.

Most Viewed