Team-BHP - VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/102311-vw-jetta-tyre-wheel-upgrade-thread-12.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmed26 (Post 4869226)
What did you get? I need to replace Michelin p3st. Anyone here using blueearth?

Apologies for the ridiculously late reply.

I finally installed Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 (215/55 R16) Got an amazing deal, around INR 4,750/- per tire, changed all 4. This size is slightly wider (10 mm) and higher (sidewall up by 7 mm)

Overall, I am super happy, looks much better, extra clearance helps, and on high triple digit speeds its a tad bit more stable.

Since this is a VW, the difference in Dynamics isn't as pronounced as say a Hyundai or Maruti.

So I have been going nuts since the past 02 weeks trying to find a new set of tyres for my 2015 Jetta DSG (remapped).

I moved from the stock Goodyear 205/55/R16 to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ST in 225/50/R16 around 3 years ago and they have been fantastic! They are now due for a change and I do not want to look at anything else beyond Michelin. The problem here is that there seems to be no stock of Michelin in Mumbai.

I have been recommended Yokohama BlueEarth AE51 but I am pretty sure that they will not be a match to the Michelins in terms of performance. I have been told that new stock of Michelin tyres are usually available in the month of December every year. Not sure if this is true though. Any thoughts on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 5198916)
So I have been going nuts since the past 02 weeks trying to find a new set of tyres for my 2015 Jetta DSG (remapped).

I moved from the stock Goodyear 205/55/R16 to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ST in 225/50/R16 around 3 years ago and they have been fantastic!

@Epic, Michelin (and others) more or less discontinued the 225/50/16 size in India entirely since 2017/8.

I'd suggest picking up fresh stocks of the Michelin Primacy 4 ST in 215/55/16 which is within the (+/-) 2% range, and is better suited to the OEM alloy rims on the Jetta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 5198916)
I moved from the stock Goodyear 205/55/R16 to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ST in 225/50/R16 around 3 years ago and they have been fantastic! They are now due for a change and I do not want to look at anything else beyond Michelin. The problem here is that there seems to be no stock of Michelin in Mumbai.

I'm in a similar boat. Michelin at present seems to be nearly impossible to source. I've been trying a size(225/55/R16) very close to what you're using. I've knocked on all possible doors but to no avail. The next bet is Continental but supply issues are there too with this size. I've been getting good feedback on MRF Perfinza. Though it can't be compared to Michelin, it seems to be a good bet. Yokohama Blueearth GT AE51 is another option I'm contemplating. If I fail to source Michelin, this would be my first non Michelin set of tyres in last 15 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 (Post 5206300)
I'm in a similar boat. Michelin at present seems to be nearly impossible to source. I've been trying a size(225/55/R16) very close to what you're using. I've knocked on all possible doors but to no avail. The next bet is Continental but supply issues are there too with this size. I've been getting good feedback on MRF Perfinza. Though it can't be compared to Michelin, it seems to be a good bet. Yokohama Blueearth GT AE51 is another option I'm contemplating. If I fail to source Michelin, this would be my first non Michelin set of tyres in last 15 years.

Also check out the Yokohama Advan V105. I changed from Continental CSC5 RFTs to Advan 105s in my BMW 3GT. I found these to be almost similar to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 I had in my Jetta in terms of performance and at the same time having a balance in comfort as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 (Post 5206300)

So I couldn't source a set of Michelin's 225/50/R16 anywhere in Mumbai as I believe they have stopped producing this size. I went ahead with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in the stock 205/55/R16 and pretty happy with them so far.

I was searching for tyres for my Jetta and the prices on Amazon seem to be way lower than in offline stores. is there some reason for this? is it safe to order from Amazon?

Pleasantly surprised to see Yokohama 225/50/16s on Amazon. Wasn't aware this size was at all available in India:

https://www.amazon.in/Yokohama-BluEa...s%2C401&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.in/Yokohama-V103-...s%2C401&sr=8-1

My 2012 Jetta wheels are bent and the tires are long due for a replacement as well. Volkswagen wheels are close to 2L and that just doesn't make sense. Looking for after market wheels and I am quite confused. My tire dealer happened to have mint condition Superb 17" wheels. This car is used just for within city commute, so I'd rather have the 16" wheels with slightly bigger sidewall on the tires.

Stock is 205/55/16. Planning to get 215/55/16 or 205/60/16, that if I'm sticking to the stock 16" size. If I'm upgrading to 17", I might have to go for 205/50/17. That will reduce 10mm in the sidewall and comfort might be compromised within the not so good Hyderabad roads.

Any suggestions?

Folks, I am looking to upgrade my stock tyre size to 225/50/R16. Mine is a remapped Jetta. Could you tell what is the tyre scene now (I suppose, Michelin PS3 and PS4 are not available). What specific tyre brand/model tyre would you recommend?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voyager-1 (Post 5645128)
Folks, I am looking to upgrade my stock tyre size to 225/50/R16. Mine is a remapped Jetta.

Would like to update on this. I made calls and did some digging on the internet as well.

Continental doesn't have this size. The closest they have is 225/55/R16 which is more than 3% difference. Same with Vredestein as well.

The only brands that have this size are Yokohama BluEarth AE51 and Bridgestone Turanza. I am not convinced about these brands for Jetta.

So am left with the option of sticking to the stock size and going with Continental UC6. Such a bummer Indian market is!

My 2015 Jetta TDI DSG was running on Continental UC6 (Stock size) since 50000 km odometer reading. Now at 70000 km, one of the tyres got punctured and sidewall got damaged. I was advised to change two tyres by a known tyre shop friend. Got it replaced with Bridgestone Sturdo as my friend did not have continental. I have driven around 1000 km since then including highways. I am pleasantly surprised to say that Sturdo rides very silently and highway handling is also very good. Not sure if it is due to the new tyre effect. I have got the new tyres installed in the front.