Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2015, 22:14   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This brings several questions to my mind regarding tire upgrade.

1. My car has done about 22K, and should be touching 30K in another 6 months time. The tires are Michelin P3ST 205/55/R16. What life can I expect from the P3STs? When should I plan to change the tires?
Import from the US or the UK. You will get fresh tyres, and maybe at a slightly higher rate than what you would pay for.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 16:25   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This brings several questions to my mind regarding tire upgrade.

1. My car has done about 22K, and should be touching 30K in another 6 months time. The tires are Michelin P3ST 205/55/R16. What life can I expect from the P3STs? When should I plan to change the tires?

2. If the supply situation of PS3's does not improve, then in 6 months' time, the same tires that are late 2011 manufactured would be 5 years old. Many online tire articles mention about manufacturer's recommendation to change any tires that are more than 6 years old. Some articles do claim that this is a conservative guidance and tires can last as long as 10 years if they are stored in right conditions. What is the next best alternative to Michelin PS3 225/50/R16's? Should I check out other brands? Or should I look at other sizes like 215/55 or 225/55?

It may be too early for me to be worrying about tire selection now. But I would like to be prepared with options when the time comes to change the tires.

Note: Moving the discussion to this thread as anymore tire discussions in Chethan's thread would dilute the thread.
Its way too early for you to worry about your tyre replacement! Your P3STs should last for atleast 40K kms. My PLCs (predecessor to P3ST) lasted 43K and they still had not worn down to the TWI mark.

Six months to 1 year down the line I doubt if Michelin themselves will sell these 2011 mfd tyres! They're too old to be sold as a Michelin Branded new tyre. If you are replacing tyres right now, I suppose its OK. But in 2016 buying 2011 manufactured tyres seems like stretching it too far.

This size is hardly available in other brands. Theoretically Yokohama has Advan Sport, but finding stock will be tough. I couldn't get it in Bangalore. So your best bet is 215 P3ST of 225/55 P3ST or look for direct import option like Akshay suggested. I hope you are lucky and fresh stocks of PS3s arrive by the time your tyre replacement is due.
Old 26th August 2015, 01:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Just got them installed this morning. A good ride is now even better. Thanks for the advice.
Hi Zahir,

provide an update on the tires. Have Yokos and want to change them. Confused between Turanza and P3S.

Anyone else would like to pitch in, please feel free. Need to use them on Jetta 2011 90k odo. Place: Gurgaon.

Regards, Sunil
Old 26th August 2015, 06:15   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Vivant View Post
Hi Zahir,

provide an update on the tires. Have Yokos and want to change them. Confused between Turanza and P3S.

Anyone else would like to pitch in, please feel free. Need to use them on Jetta 2011 90k odo. Place: Gurgaon.

Regards, Sunil
I do not have experience with Turanza. But as many members could vouch here, you could not go wrong with P3STs. They are super silent and have excellent grip. I have ridden them on some really bad roads in interior Karnataka (with a little respect though), and have not had any problem - touchwood - till now (22K Kms).
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 14:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to change the tyres of my new Jetta (yet to be delivered). Confused about these 2 options -

1. Pirelli P7 - 9k
2. Michelin P3ST - 9.9k

Sai Iyengar is offering to buy the NCT5's for 4.5k apiece.

Recommendations ?
Old 1st November 2015, 08:25   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am looking to change the tyres of my new Jetta (yet to be delivered). Confused about these 2 options -

1. Pirelli P7 - 9k
2. Michelin P3ST - 9.9k

Sai Iyengar is offering to buy the NCT5's for 4.5k apiece.

Recommendations ?
Finally upgraded to Pirelli P7's from Madhu's. Costed me 7.6k apiece and 5k buyback for the Stock NCT5's. Will report how it goes.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:09   #67
BHPian

Hi Guys

Its time for a shoe change for the White Phantom (Read: 2012 Jetta Comfortline).

She has been running on the stock NCTs and done 55k Kms. While the tyre looks like it could do another 5k for sure, I wanted to change it for sure as the ride is rough and not a pleasure as it used to be. I know there would be a sea of change when you change the tyre is change on the ride quality.

Definitely not the NCTs again for sure and have funnelled down to:

1. Conti Eco 5 - INR 8000
2. Pirelli P7 - INR 8000
3. Michelin ST - INR 8200

The car does Mumbai - Chennai and back, once a year, and hence safety and comfort are of utmost importance. I intend to keep the car for a couple of years and don't want to spend on tyres again, say for like 30000 Kms.

Also should I change 4 or 5 tyres? I have never changed 5 tyres till date in any of the cars but always done four. Please advice on any pros and cons on 4 vs 5.
Old 28th December 2015, 23:08   #68
Team-BHP Support

At 36K, my Goodyears were around 3 mm. Road nosie was increasing. Traction control light blinking, Braking a bit weak. A pending trip to Kerala meant a tyre change despite being half broke for Xmas.

After a bit of research, I fitted Continental Sport Contact 5. The car has transformed. Fitted new tyres on Xmas eve but only drove car on Monday to Cochin. Upto Salem, I was gentle as I was running in tyres

Road noise down significantly, my wife noticed this
Steering more direct, very little effort to turn in - almodt as if you use the Force to steer
Car feels very confident, I could maintain higher speeds
Braking improved but not as good as originally - brake pads have another 3000 km to go

As an all round tyre - highly recommended
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 00:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
At 36K, my Goodyears were around 3 mm. Road nosie was increasing. Traction control light blinking, Braking a bit weak. A pending trip to Kerala meant a tyre change despite being half broke for Xmas.

After a bit of research, I fitted Continental Sport Contact 5. The car has transformed. Fitted new tyres on Xmas eve but only drove car on Monday to Cochin. Upto Salem, I was gentle as I was running in tyres

Road noise down significantly, my wife noticed this
Steering more direct, very little effort to turn in - almodt as if you use the Force to steer
Car feels very confident, I could maintain higher speeds
Braking improved but not as good as originally - brake pads have another 3000 km to go

As an all round tyre - highly recommended
Thanks for the info ajmat
My jetta has just clocked about 23k and i am planning to change the tyres right after the second service coming in next month, Please do update a bit more once you drive around more. I was initially looking for the pilot sports 3 but as of now i am not very successful in getting a proper reply about its availability from a couple of dealers here.
Old 14th January 2016, 17:16   #70
BHPian

225/50 R16 Tyres

Hello All,

Just to give a headsup for Jetta/Laura/Octavia owners looking for upgrading to 225/50 R16. I think Michelin has relaunched the Pilot Sport 3 series in India in late 2015 (though Pilot Sport 4 has just recently been launched in europe). I hope this doesn't stop the import of PS3s to India. So ideally you should be able to get PS3s straight from your local Michelin dealer.

Now in the relatively small town of Calicut, I was able to source both Michelin PS3 (early 2012) and Yoko Advan Sport (April 2015) for our vRS, but only after escalating to the respective companies. I see the difficulty Santhosh had faced in finding a set of Advan Sport, even in Bangalore.

Both times, I had escalated to Michelin and Yoko stating they have the model listed in their website and still official dealers are not stocking them. They promptly replied and arranged to source the tyres through a dealer of my choice in Calicut. So if you are looking for a tyre (listed on mfr's website) and your local dealer is not stocking them or stating as unavailable, escalate to the company and you have high chances of getting them

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 10th April 2016, 19:22   #71
BHPian

Hi guys,
nice to see a thread for the VW/Skoda car tyres and specifically Jetta/Laura. I have a Jetta too and am looking to change the tyres of my car. So a lil background on it...
Jetta 2010, CrTDI 118Bhp, Driven: 136000+kms.
Tyres and Rim: Aftermarket Rim 7j, 215/55/16 BS Potenza Re01.

Now from my first change onwards, I have used 215s as the standard size, because I changed the OEM Rims with the Aftermarket Rims to 7j (you don't 6.5j in Aftermarket sizes). I have found the 215s to be very comfortable and grippy as per my driving requirement, and have previously used the BS Turanza GR90 and then the Potenza Re01.(I am a hardcore BS fan and always used BS Tyres on all my cars) Now recently my tyres need a major replacement as they have lived their life and threatening mine. lol Due to the Unique size I have very few choices and that too none from BS, so I need a feedback on the tyres that are available in 215/55/16:
1. Yoko DB ES501
2. Falken Ziex Ze 912
3. MRF Zlo
Now I have read bad and good reviews on all tyres and would like a feedback from people who are using such tyres in similar cars.
I would appreciate any feedback from you guys.
Thank you.
Kanboy

Last edited by Kanboy : 10th April 2016 at 19:31.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:57   #72
BHPian

Experts plz help!

205/55/ R16 in michelin P3ST is not readily available at the dealer and he can arrange for 9800 per tyre. Interestingly he suggests to go for michelin P3ST 205/60 R 16 92V, with 7600 per tyre. He says it will increase ground clearance by 5 mm, but no change in ride quality and silence. I am totally confused considering the price difference. he justifies that 205/60 R16 is a running tyre (goes with cruze, SX4, Octy and jetta) while the 205/55 R16 is specifically sourced for jetta and laura.

can experts point out pros and cons for shifting from 205/55 R16 to 205/60 R16?
Old 19th April 2016, 11:08   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Experts plz help!

205/55/ R16 in michelin P3ST is not readily available at the dealer and he can arrange for 9800 per tyre. Interestingly he suggests to go for michelin P3ST 205/60 R 16 92V, with 7600 per tyre. He says it will increase ground clearance by 5 mm, but no change in ride quality and silence. I am totally confused considering the price difference. he justifies that 205/60 R16 is a running tyre (goes with cruze, SX4, Octy and jetta) while the 205/55 R16 is specifically sourced for jetta and laura.

can experts point out pros and cons for shifting from 205/55 R16 to 205/60 R16?
Your handling will become a bit worse. Frankly if you don't need extra GC (the Jetta doesn't really scrape as it is), stick to the stock size.
Old 7th July 2016, 09:14   #74
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hi All,

Need advice on tire upgrade. My Jetta has done close to 31K with the Michelin P3STs and the tires have maybe another 5K life. I have three options.

1. Keep the same size 205/55/R16 and go for the same P3STs
2. Upgrade to 225/50/R16 Michelin PS3.
3. Upsize to 17" wheels and change to Michelin PS3 225/45/R17

As I will plan to go for a remap another one year down the line, I think I definitely need to go for wider tires, so I am keeping aside option #1. Also, I drive a lot in hills and love to throw the car around corners.

Keeping these in mind, I have some questions regarding #2 and #3. Please share your views.

1. What are the pros and cons of options #2 and #3? Which one would you go for and why?
2. I understand going for a 17" wheel would make the ride a little stiff. How much? Would it be so harsh that it becomes impractical? I am fine with a little harshness as the suspensions do a fantastic job in the Jetta. Also, with 17", I believe I will have to be very gentle on rough roads and potholes.
3. If I had to choose a 17" wheel, what are the parameters I have to look for? What is PCD and offset?
4. Is the below wheel a good option? Can you suggest some other good options as well?
VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-drone-evo.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.

Edit:
Chethan uses 225/50/R16 PS3's in his Jetta and has good reviews on this combination. I would like to understand how a 17" upgrade would compare to 225/50/R16 on stock wheels.

Last edited by graaja : 7th July 2016 at 09:33.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 10:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

No need for 17" wheels if you can find good 16" Borbet ones with 7" width, that will make installing 225/50/16 tyres much more easier and will improve grip tremendously.

If you upsize on the current rims of the Jetta, go for 215/55/16.

225/50/16 will be just a tad bit wide compared to the rim width. I am loving this tyre right now even after 25K kms on stock rims, looks good for about another 20K as of now. Stance of the car is wicked, tyre sticks to the road like glue.

If you really want to upgrade to 17" then the options are either 215/50/17 or else 225/45/17 or you could go even wider!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed