Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 12:46   #31
BHPian

re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am looking to change my stock Goodyear NCT 5 tyres. They have done close to 45K kms but were showing significant signs of wear since 35K.

So my options are as follows-

Michelin 3ST - 9000 per tyre
Yokohama A drive R1 - 7000 per tyre
Bridgestone Potenza - 8500 per tyre

I am inclined towards the Michelin because I have had a really good experience with them on my other cars.
The Yoko R1 is out for sure.
I have got the Yoko C's on Mercedes which I have found to be pretty silent and tough. So I am in a bit of a dilemma now.

What do you guys suggest ? Yoko C or the Michelin 3ST or the Bridgestone ?
Old 10th September 2014, 15:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
I am looking to change my stock Goodyear NCT 5 tyres. They have done close to 45K kms but were showing significant signs of wear since 35K.

So my options are as follows-

Michelin 3ST - 9000 per tyre
Yokohama A drive R1 - 7000 per tyre
Bridgestone Potenza - 8500 per tyre

I am inclined towards the Michelin because I have had a really good experience with them on my other cars.
The Yoko R1 is out for sure.
I have got the Yoko C's on Mercedes which I have found to be pretty silent and tough. So I am in a bit of a dilemma now.

What do you guys suggest ? Yoko C or the Michelin 3ST or the Bridgestone ?
I would stay away from Potenza (I assume you are talking about G III). I had them on my optra and the tyre noise is high after a while.

Can't say about Yoko, but have heard good things about Michelin P 3ST. I have them on my GT TSI. they are comfortable and absolutely quiet. but, to be honest have run them less than 1000 km till now.

My suggestion would be to also check out Vredestein Sportrac 5. they are good, and I currently have them on my Laura. Have run for 15k km. They are quiet and the dealer guaranteed that they will last too. I wanted to get them for my GT also, but could not find a 2014 manufactured set when I went to the dealer in gurgaon. So, bought Michelins instead.

btw, I bought the Vredesteins in Chandigarh.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:12   #33
BHPian

I think you can also look at the perillis. They have good ratings on some of the sites abroad and I can say they are absolutely silent even at high speeds.
Old 10th September 2014, 16:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I would stay away from Potenza (I assume you are talking about G III). I had them on my optra and the tyre noise is high after a while.

Can't say about Yoko, but have heard good things about Michelin P 3ST. I have them on my GT TSI. they are comfortable and absolutely quiet. but, to be honest have run them less than 1000 km till now.

My suggestion would be to also check out Vredestein Sportrac 5. they are good, and I currently have them on my Laura. Have run for 15k km. They are quiet and the dealer guaranteed that they will last too. I wanted to get them for my GT also, but could not find a 2014 manufactured set when I went to the dealer in gurgaon. So, bought Michelins instead.

btw, I bought the Vredesteins in Chandigarh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I think you can also look at the perillis. They have good ratings on some of the sites abroad and I can say they are absolutely silent even at high speeds.
Thanks a lot for the input.

I saw the Vredestiens as well, lalittalwar, and the dealer told me that they will be cheaper than the Michelins but I didn't ask for an exact price as I wasn't aware of their performance.

Can you please tell me where in Chandigarh you bought them from?

I have heard good reviews about the Pirelli as well, mav2000 but unfortunately there aren't authorised distributors for Pirelli in Chandigarh and I don't wanna take a chance with the other un-authorised resellers.
Someone also told me that the Pirellis are soft and prone to punctures. Would you agree with that?
Old 10th September 2014, 16:54   #35
BHPian

They are not very soft, but not very hard either. I think you can surely look at them as they are very good for the money. In fact in some of the reviews its scored better than the Michelin Primacy and the CPC2's.
Old 10th September 2014, 16:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Thanks a lot for the input.

I saw the Vredestiens as well, lalittalwar, and the dealer told me that they will be cheaper than the Michelins but I didn't ask for an exact price as I wasn't aware of their performance.

Can you please tell me where in Chandigarh you bought them from?

I have heard good reviews about the Pirelli as well, mav2000 but unfortunately there aren't authorised distributors for Pirelli in Chandigarh and I don't wanna take a chance with the other un-authorised resellers.
Someone also told me that the Pirellis are soft and prone to punctures. Would you agree with that?
I bought them from Onkar Tyres in sector 27, and they are slightly cheaper than Michelins by about Rs 300-500. and the dealer is very good. I get regular calls from Onkar tyres to get the tyres rotated and get alignment done etc. Have been buying tyres from them for a long time now. Just that I took delivery of my GT in Gurgaon, hence had to change tyres in Gurgaon itself. could not wait to to go to chandigarh.

I have never used Pirellis, but there are many people who have. search the forum for their feedback.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 13:48   #37
BHPian

I posted this on another thread but felt this thread was more appropriate

I'm considering an upgrade for the 205/55 R16 stock Goodyear but keeping the same size. I'm being quoted the following

Goodyear buyback - 6k each
Michelin Primacy LC - 9.8k each
Continental MC5 - 9.3k each

For 50% rough roads - 50% average roads, which one is a more recommended tyre. Price difference seems negligible

Appreciate the help
Old 27th February 2015, 12:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
I posted this on another thread but felt this thread was more appropriate

I'm considering an upgrade for the 205/55 R16 stock Goodyear but keeping the same size. I'm being quoted the following

Goodyear buyback - 6k each
Michelin Primacy LC - 9.8k each
Continental MC5 - 9.3k each

For 50% rough roads - 50% average roads, which one is a more recommended tyre. Price difference seems negligible

Appreciate the help
Primacy LC is still available? If you are considering these, then why not P3STs? Definitely an improvement over LCs and lot of positive reviews on the forum. People are running these on Jettas, Lauras etc.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Primacy LC is still available? If you are considering these, then why not P3STs? Definitely an improvement over LCs and lot of positive reviews on the forum. People are running these on Jettas, Lauras etc.
Thanks Aston. What's the full form of P3ST? My tyre guy hasn't heard of them. Are you referring to Michelin Primacy 3?
Old 27th February 2015, 14:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aston. What's the full form of P3ST? My tyre guy hasn't heard of them. Are you referring to Michelin Primacy 3?
That's right Zahir. Michelin Primacy 3 Silence Tuned. Definitely worth checking out. !
Old 27th February 2015, 14:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
That's right Zahir. Michelin Primacy 3 Silence Tuned. Definitely worth checking out. !
Super. Will do. Braking distance seems much better on wet roads. How is the ride quality & durability on bad roads(read lots of small stones)?
Old 2nd March 2015, 15:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Super. Will do. Braking distance seems much better on wet roads. How is the ride quality & durability on bad roads(read lots of small stones)?
Braking is definitely very good. These tyres are excellent in wet conditions. Also these are super smooth on concrete roads where many others fair pretty badly.

Michelins are known for their ride quality. Durability I think its too early to comment on it but being a softer compound they are more prone to damages, punctures etc but the ride is never harsh. It soaks up bad patches, small stones really well.
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Braking is definitely very good. These tyres are excellent in wet conditions. Also these are super smooth on concrete roads where many others fair pretty badly.

Michelins are known for their ride quality. Durability I think its too early to comment on it but being a softer compound they are more prone to damages, punctures etc but the ride is never harsh. It soaks up bad patches, small stones really well.
Just got them installed this morning. A good ride is now even better. Thanks for the advice.
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 13:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Just got them installed this morning. A good ride is now even better. Thanks for the advice.
I'm glad I could be of help. And congrats on your new ride. Happy Revvin
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 15:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I'm glad I could be of help. And congrats on your new ride. Happy Revvin
Thanks! Quick question, the car is running 205/55 R16. The company recommends 35psi (a la fuel lid). Isn't that too high?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks