Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2016, 07:25   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post

Since I won't remap Jetta for at least next 20 months (20-25K) to maintain extended warranty, is it really worth to upsize tyres, given that PS3 costs 1.5x of P3ST (12K vs 8K)?

With the stock map (140BHP/320Nm) Jetta, upsizing to 225's should still be perfectly fine. The car has enough power and torque to not feel underpowered due to the upsize. You will see better grip and cornering ability.

However, I am not able to comment on what will happen post the software update by VW. Based on Tanveer's review and many other inputs, it looks like the car looses mid and high band power. Under those circumstances, 225's many not be of much use.

So if you are not planning for a remap and do not drive much on ghats, my personal opinion would be stick to stock size and go for P3ST. If you go for a remap, then 225's will definitely make sense.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 16:05   #107
BHPian

Graaja,

Thanks for patiently helping me through out the process. I have decided to go with P3ST for now, will get them by Saturday as I have a trip planned to Rajasthan next week. I will save PS3 for the next upgrade along with Pete's remap & Bilstein (Thank you Chethan ). The way she is performing, I intend to keep her at least for next 5-6 years (touchwood).

I will get tyres from the shop suggested by Mission_PGPX in his ownership thread, thank you brother.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 12th December 2016 at 16:15.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 18:33   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

So here goes the debate. I seriously don't understand what's wrong with my parents. From Michelins to bridgstones.

My dad thinks 9K for the Michelins is way too high. He now says I should consider Indian brands instead. Someone please help me out with this dilemma.

- Bridgestones

- Apollos

- Ceats

Personally speaking, I am out of this. My dad wants a 20+ lakh car to have cheap R16 tyres, which is just not acceptable. Can someone please suggest a better company at a reasonable price too? If any of you have used any of these brands, please advice me on which one to go for. I don't want any of these tyre brands but I have been forced to consider them. I always wanted Michelins or Pirellis.

Please drop in with your suggestions.

Regards,
vishy
Old 4th April 2017, 18:44   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
So here goes the debate. I seriously don't understand what's wrong with my parents. From Michelins to bridgstones.

My dad thinks 9K for the Michelins is way too high. He now says I should consider Indian brands instead. Someone please help me out with this dilemma.

- Bridgestones

- Apollos

- Ceats

Personally speaking, I am out of this. My dad wants a 20+ lakh car to have cheap R16 tyres, which is just not acceptable.
Why dont you try yokohamas?

While selecting tyres, the most important is the speed rating. So, select tyres which have same or higher speed rating.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 18:44   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Remember, If you think your dad will agree for a remap anytime soon, Tyre change plays an important role right now, Don't expect the car to behave very well if the car doesn't have proper shoes.

Quote:
Honestly I would pay a couple of grands more and get the best tyre available, Bhpian iliketurtles recently got Pilot sports 3 for 12.5k per tyre which is surely superb, But yeah his car is remapped so he needs such tyres, In your case if remap is not planned anytime soon, Then I would say atleast stick to bridgestones, Comparing by manufacturer's i would surely select these over and above apollos and ceats, Though Jetta surely deserves better tyre, Try and convince your parents.

Quote:
Personally speaking, I am out of this. My dad wants a 20+ lakh car to have cheap R16 tyres, which is just not acceptable. Can someone please suggest a better company at a reasonable price too? If any of you have used any of these brands, please advice me on which one to go for. I don't want any of these tyre brands but I have been forced to consider them. I always wanted Michelins or Pirellis.
My view is totally in line with yours, Also check change mytyre.com for some more pricing reference.

Please note : I am no where related to the above website or advertising it.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 4th April 2017 at 18:50. Reason: Grammar
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 11:13   #111
BHPian

Re: Tyres for Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Well my Jetta is the older generation one (MK5) so I dunno how to go about the whole spare being just a rim situation. I guess it should be ok for you to get just 4 new tyres.
There is an authorized Michelin store in HSR layout but that I guess that would be far you. I only mention this because I had bought tyres from them when I was staying in Bangalore and got real good service. But I am sure there must be others. I think Koramangala has one as well. Not sure though.
The roadside 'puncher shops' can fix a tubeless but they won't be particularly good at it.
I would like to mention here that tubeless puncture repairs are not done professionally in India. Most places I have seen do a quick repairs by pulling out the nail and plugging the injury from outside. This method is a 'Chalu' method and not recommended for long term repair due to

1) the tyre should be removed from the rim and the inside (band ply) should examined for possible damage that could have happened to the carcass structure as the tyre may have travelled considerable distance in low pressure condition

2) Just by plugging the injury , the ingress of moisture into the injury is not prevented. Moisture ingress will cause the steel belts to rust and the tyre may blow out at a future date.

Hence, pls do try to go to a good place which uses a Mushroom patch for the puncture repair. In this method, the tyre is removed from the rim , carefully examined for 'run flat' damages, then the injury is attended to after applying rubberised solutions and the patch is inserted from inside. The tyre and rim assembly has to be properly balanced again so that a smooth ride is ensured.

Unfortunately most 'punchure wallahs' do not offer the kind of services as above.
Dead Head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 19:45   #112
BHPian

I am looking to change the tyres on my Jetta as well. Currently I have Pirelli P7s 215 60 R17. These looked almost new when I purchased the car about 20 months ago. Now, after 25k kilometers, they are nearing the end of their life. The original tyres on the car were Goodyear 205 55 R16. I wonder which combination would be better? Is it better to stick to what the manufacturer chose or to replace them with the larger size?

I would also welcome any suggestions regarding brands. Currently I am getting the Pirellis for around 7K and Goodyear for around 7.5k. Cheaper options are Acelere (is this by Appolo?) for around 5k. Has anybody used these tyres? How would they compare with the other brands in longevity, road noise and performance? I am a very sedate driver and never ever push my car.
Old 29th September 2017, 20:59   #113
BHPian

Hi guys,
My 5 year old jetta needs a change of tyres as the current ones, even though have tread left, have become hard. Just wondering which ones would be good, 205 55 R16 or 225 50 R16. My jetta is remapped and I think 225s may be a better option. Also which brand of tyres are good. Thanks.
Old 30th September 2017, 08:59   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Hi guys,
My 5 year old jetta needs a change of tyres as the current ones, even though have tread left, have become hard. Just wondering which ones would be good, 205 55 R16 or 225 50 R16. My jetta is remapped and I think 225s may be a better option. Also which brand of tyres are good. Thanks.
Michelin P3ST for 205/55/R16, and Michelin Pilot Sport 3 for 225/50/R16.

The P3ST is more comfort/silence oriented, but with very good grips. I had them earlier and loved them for the fantastic balance between comfort and performance.

PS3 is performance oriented, but silent at the same time. I have these on my Jetta which have run about 10,000 kilometers and are still quite silent. But I have read reviews that these tires become noisy after 15K to 20K kilometers.

If your main requirement is comfort and silence, then go for P3ST. If you love pushing the car and take it fast in the corners, and also as your car is remapped, PS3 would be a good choice.

I believe Michelin has introduced PS4 as well recently. Though I do not have first hand experience with these, I think these are purely performance tires. Check these as well.
Old 28th December 2017, 16:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

So its time for my 2015 Jetta 2.0 DSG with 24k kms on the odo to get a new set of shoes. The current stock 205/55/R16 Goodyear NCT 5 tires are crap and are starting to get on my nerves as the ride is a bit hard and vibrations are starting to creep in. The tire pressure I maintain is 35 psi as recommended by VW.

I intend to keep the stock rims. I think they one of the best OEM designs offered on a car. Since the car is going in for a remap, the tire specs will be 225/50/R16.

The question now is, which tires. My aim to to have a balance between comfort and performance.My tire options are:

Brands:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Currently have this on my Polo in 205/50/R16 & I love them)
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Pirelli P7
Continental MC5

Any suggestions?
Old 29th December 2017, 07:11   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The question now is, which tires. My aim to to have a balance between comfort and performance.My tire options are:

Brands:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Currently have this on my Polo in 205/50/R16 & I love them)
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Pirelli P7
Continental MC5

Any suggestions?
I would go for Pilot Sport 4. I have read reviews that the PS4 is several notches higher than PS3 in performance. You should have already experienced this on your Polo. A few other points to consider:
  1. I have PS3s on my Jetta and they are fantastic when it comes to performance and very silent at the same time. But last time when I talked to my tire dealer, he said they don't get any new stocks of PS3 anymore. Most of the stocks are from late 2015.
  2. I have Continental MC5s on my Polo GT, and they became noisy just after 10K. Not sure about how noisy PS4 may get, but the PS3s on my Jetta are still silent after 12K km.
  3. I don't have any first hand experience with P7s. But I have seen a couple of users here reporting side wall damages, and the general opinion that P7s are prone to sidewall damages.
Old 29th December 2017, 09:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Like graaja mentioned, PS3s simply aren't available in fresh stocks anymore. I'd recommend you plump for the PS4's. I'm very happy with my Michelins and will surely stick with them when the time comes to switch tyres. They just age better and aren't as prone to punctures as the Pirelli's, a big plus on our roads.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 11:52   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
  1. I have PS3s on my Jetta and they are fantastic when it comes to performance and very silent at the same time. But last time when I talked to my tire dealer, he said they don't get any new stocks of PS3 anymore. Most of the stocks are from late 2015.
That's because the PS4 is the replacement for the Pilot Super Sport, which replaced the PS3.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would go for Pilot Sport 4. I have read reviews that the PS4 is several notches higher than PS3 in performance. You should have already experienced this on your Polo.
I like the PS4 on my Polo but can't really gauge them as they are an upsize (205/50/R16) as compared to the stock 185/60/R15. The ride is obviously a bit hard but not uncomfortable. I previously used the Continental MC5 in 205/55/R15 and loved them but used them for just over 10k kms and moved to 16".

Quote:
[*]I don't have any first hand experience with P7s. But I have seen a couple of users here reporting side wall damages, and the general opinion that P7s are prone to sidewall damages.[/list]
Had spoken to iliketurtles and he had many punctures with the Pirellis. So they are definitely not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
That's because the PS4 is the replacement for the Pilot Super Sport, which replaced the PS3.
The PS3s still show on the Michelin India website but I am guessing this is a lack of update from their end.
Old 13th January 2018, 20:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would go for Pilot Sport 4. I have read reviews that the PS4 is several notches higher than PS3 in performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Like graaja mentioned, PS3s simply aren't available in fresh stocks anymore. I'd recommend you plump for the PS4's.
So after checking around, I have been told that the PS4 is not available in 225/50/R16 and only available in 205/50/R16. That is a shame really for such a fantastic tire.

However the 225/50/R16 is available in the PS3ST and the 215/50/R16 in the PS3. What is the difference between these two?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks