Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2015, 10:23   #1996
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Do look at MRF Z.L.O's if he is ready to upsize to 195/60 R15 from the stock 185/65 R15 just like what I have done.
It would be a good idea to update this thread with your experience. I haven't read the entire experience at one place, so...
Old 5th November 2015, 10:55   #1997
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It would be a good idea to update this thread with your experience. I haven't read the entire experience at one place, so...
I have broadly put the links that'll take you directly to the posts where the main issues are highlighted.

1) Tyre Purchase:

Link to post of Purchase

This link contains all the data pertaining to the tyre purchase and fitment.
__________________________________________________ ___

2) Humming Noise Reported:

Humming noise

This post contains the humming noise that I have encountered between 40-50 kmph.
__________________________________________________ ____

3) Tyre Problem - Humming Noise:

Tyre is at fault - Humming Nosie

Visited one of the best wheel alignment guys in Hyderabad and asked him to analyse where it was found that the tyres are at fault.
__________________________________________________ _____

4) MRF's first response to the complaint filed by me:

MRF's first repsonse to complaint filed by me

The first response by MRF's team from Chennai when I registered a complaint on their website.
__________________________________________________ ______

5) Humming noise analysis by MRF's Technical Executive:

Analysis by MRF's Technical Executive

Here is the analysis and outcome that was carried out by MRF's Technical Executive.
__________________________________________________ ______

6) My R&D on the humming noise:

My R&D on Humming noise

I interchanged the wheels from another Swift just to zero down on whether the tyres are faulty or something wrong with my car. OUTCOME: My car is good but not the tyres.
Old 26th November 2015, 19:47   #1998
BHPian

Hi All
Just upgraded the tyres on my Swift Vxi (2010) model to Michelin XM2's. The stock JK tyres served me well, but had become slightly hard and were loosing grip under spirited acceleration and turns.

Upgraded from 165 to 185's, so still getting used the slightly different driving feel.

Had 2 queries
  1. Is there a certain no of kms to scrub / run-in new tyres?
  2. What tyre pressure do i need to maintain for this tyre? The dealer mentioned 32, but somehow feel its slightly higher.
Old 27th November 2015, 13:50   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Tyres will bed in between 500 to a 1000 kms

The air pressure sticker on the bottom of the A pillar gives the air pressures for both the 165 & 185 profile tires, refer the same for correct values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Had 2 queries
  1. Is there a certain no of kms to scrub / run-in new tyres?
  2. What tyre pressure do i need to maintain for this tyre? The dealer mentioned 32, but somehow feel its slightly higher.
Old 29th November 2015, 15:14   #2000
BHPian

@khoj - thanks for the response
Old 27th December 2015, 20:06   #2001
BANNED

Guys
Need an urgent help from you guys... I have been using Yokohama A Drives 195/65R14 which has run 64000kms in my 2010 Swift vdi. Now its time to change and I was looking for 15 inch or 16 inch ..
I am offered I20 Asta 16inch Diamond cut alloys with Apollo Alnac for 31000/-. What is your opinion guys? Shall I go with the purchase?
Regards
Dilip Kumar V
Old 28th December 2015, 02:58   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Are the PCD and the offset for the Swift and the i20 same?

If yes then it is a commercial decision

and

If they do not match, then walk away

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
I am offered I20 Asta 16inch Diamond cut alloys with Apollo Alnac for 31000/-. What is your opinion guys? Shall I go with the purchase?
Regards
Dilip Kumar V
Old 8th January 2016, 19:04   #2003
Lij
BHPian

I had some queries on the zero plus upsize for Swift VXi. Planning to change from OEM 165/80-R14 to 185/70-R14 (Michelin XM2).

1. Since the Swift VXi rim width is 5", will the 185/70-R14 tyres bulge out of the rims, tyresizecalculator.com says that 185mm is the maximum 5" rims can take while the ideal is 5.5 to 6"?
2. Should I continue to maintain the same tyre pressure as is recommended for OEM tyres?
3. There will be some speedo error, but will it also affect the distance calculated by the odometer since both are inter-related I guess?

Last edited by Lij : 8th January 2016 at 19:07.
Old 8th January 2016, 20:32   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
I had some queries on the zero plus upsize for Swift VXi. Planning to change from OEM 165/80-R14 to 185/70-R14 (Michelin XM2).

1. Since the Swift VXi rim width is 5", will the 185/70-R14 tyres bulge out of the rims, tyresizecalculator.com says that 185mm is the maximum 5" rims can take while the ideal is 5.5 to 6"?
2. Should I continue to maintain the same tyre pressure as is recommended for OEM tyres?
3. There will be some speedo error, but will it also affect the distance calculated by the odometer since both are inter-related I guess?
1. Though these tyres will be most comfortable on wider rims, 5" is also OK. I am attaching some pictures of my '15 Swift VXi when I got the same tyres you are looking at. I was very happy with the upgrade as the car became more stable. However, when I later purchased aftermarket alloy wheels (6 inches wide, one pic attached) handling became somewhat better with those tyres.

2. I continued to maintain the same pressure. No issues observed.

3. Very minor. Not enough to be noticed but then I didn't do any detailed testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1452265141288.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1452265225657.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1452265240472.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1452265309282.jpg  

Last edited by Darth Sid : 8th January 2016 at 20:36.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:20   #2005
BHPian

Don't know where to post this query, but posting here as the car in question is a Swift.

The spare tyre (used for first 2k kms, before 2 punctures happened) has some rubbery (but hard) substance coming out from the point on sidewall where 2 punctures were found earlier. It has been almost an year and 8k kms since I checked that tyre (checked it yesterday while cleaning the boot area) and it looks like the material which is used to repair punctures. It is brown-red colour and has come out like toothpaste comes from a tube.

Do I need to show this to a tyre shop or is it normal? I will post a photo in some time.
Old 18th January 2016, 15:36   #2006
Lij
BHPian

Got the below quotes from dealers (includes WB and WA) for replacing my Swift tyres. One of the dilemmas that I am in is should I go with 185 section tyres or stick to 165 ones since I might be replacing my car end of this year or next year so is it worth spending around 3.5 - 4K more?

185/70 R14:
Bridgestone Turanza - 4500/- each
Michelin XM2 - 4600/- each

165/80 R14:
Bridgestone B290 - 3500/- each (budget tyres but are these better than my current GY Duraplus?)
Michelin XM2 - 3900/- each
Yokohama Earth1 - 3000/- each (first thought I heard it wrong and checked again, didn't check the manufacture date)

Also would like to know if there are any freebies available, all dealers said no freebies from the manufacturer. For Michelin there is some lucky draw for which I need to register online.

If its the 165 section I would mostly go with XM2 since Turanzas are not available in that size, if 185 then I am a bit confused between the 2.
Old 18th January 2016, 15:56   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Don't know where to post this query, but posting here as the car in question is a Swift.

The spare tyre (used for first 2k kms, before 2 punctures happened) has some rubbery (but hard) substance coming out from the point on sidewall where 2 punctures were found earlier. It has been almost an year and 8k kms since I checked that tyre (checked it yesterday while cleaning the boot area) and it looks like the material which is used to repair punctures. It is brown-red colour and has come out like toothpaste comes from a tube.

Do I need to show this to a tyre shop or is it normal? I will post a photo in some time.
If the tyre has 2 punctures in the sidewall, put a tube inside the tyre and use it only as a spare all the time. Whenever you need to use this tyre, use it only till you get to the next puncture repair shop.

Had you put any puncture sealing liquid in the tyres in past?
Old 18th January 2016, 16:57   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
If the tyre has 2 punctures in the sidewall, put a tube inside the tyre and use it only as a spare all the time. Whenever you need to use this tyre, use it only till you get to the next puncture repair shop.

Had you put any puncture sealing liquid in the tyres in past?
Have a look at the pictures below. Actually the punctures were very small and not very far apart, the sticky thing has come out from those 2 punctures and has almost covered the portion between it. I gave it to the puncture repair guy and didn't inspect what he was doing; but the tyre looked normal after repair.

I just need to confirm if this is the puncture sealing liquid only or not. Is there any way to cure this without adding a tube?

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1453116412281.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1453116422083.jpg
Old 18th January 2016, 18:15   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
I just need to confirm if this is the puncture sealing liquid only or not. Is there any way to cure this without adding a tube?
That brown stuff is the cold mending rubber strip used to repair punctures in tubeless tyres. I am surprised it works in the sidewall. This tyre may not be as reliable as a regular one with only tread punctures. Tube might be the safer alternative. In any case it seems this tyre might only be suitable an emergency only spare. Others should comment on this too.
Old 18th January 2016, 18:19   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
That brown stuff is the cold mending rubber strip used to repair punctures in tubeless tyres. I am surprised it works in the sidewall. This tyre may not be as reliable as a regular one with only tread punctures. Tube might be the safer alternative. In any case it seems this tyre might only be suitable an emergency only spare. Others should comment on this too.
Yes I am using it as spare only. Can I remove this strip with some tool and get the tyre repaired again by some more experienced person?

My guess is that this brown strip is expanding due to heat (or with time) and thus came out. I was thinking of removing it entirely by a plier and getting the tyre repaired properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks