Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 20:06   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

I've already made my feelings clear on your alloys earlier! . I love OZ. I dont think you should downgrade to some other alloy!

Anyway, it is your car afterall and YOU should be happy with it irrespective of others.

I wouldnt suggest 16 unless you use the car only as a chick magnet!

Stick to 15" and keep the current tyre size.
Old 10th April 2010, 23:50   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I've already made my feelings clear on your alloys earlier! . I love OZ. I dont think you should downgrade to some other alloy!

Anyway, it is your car afterall and YOU should be happy with it irrespective of others.

I wouldnt suggest 16 unless you use the car only as a chick magnet!

Stick to 15" and keep the current tyre size.
Hi Nikhil,

No. I will not be using the car as a chick magnet and I dont think chicks know much about rims anyway unless they are Prada . Going in for 16" rims is purely for the looks and eventhough many have advised against them due to the lack of ride quality, I just drool everytime I see a Swift with 16" and above.

I feel the same about the OZs but as I mentioned that I do not want to spend 50k on a new set of rims as i will not be keeping the car for more that 2 yrs and I am sure, no one who buys my car will pay me extra bcoz of my rims. And besides, my current OZ are not as appealing as they were due to the chips, scuffs and scratches on the rims and hence the decision to change them. Are Momos not in the high end alloy bracket? Can they not be compared to OZs?

However, if you had to choose between the two Momos, which ones would you choose for a Silver Swift?

Last edited by Epic : 10th April 2010 at 23:53.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:39   #1008
BHPian

I have changed the tyre into bridgestone turanza ER60(185/70/14) in salem ( new shop Bridgestone). The cost is 3370/tyre, and i have pain rs 700 for new mouth,wheel balancing, alignment and nitrogen.
The tyre having excellent grip even 100 km/hr, no rattling noise and good mellege also.No need to spend another rs/1500 to 2000 for Michelin XM1.Very good tyre for Swift owner's.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:51   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Hey Arun keep rollin'. Congrats.

PICS PLEASE !!
Old 16th April 2010, 13:50   #1010
BHPian

When to change tyres - SWIFT VXI?

hi all,
I am looking for an answer to a very basic query - When to change the stock tyres on a car. I have a SWIFT VXI 2007 model and have done around 29000 on the ODO. Is it the right time to change my tyres? Is there any small test which i can perform to know if the right time to change tyres has come? Please help

Sorry if this question has been answered before - I searched but could not find an answer to this specific question
Old 16th April 2010, 19:12   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
hi all,
I am looking for an answer to a very basic query - When to change the stock tyres on a car. I have a SWIFT VXI 2007 model and have done around 29000 on the ODO. Is it the right time to change my tyres? Is there any small test which i can perform to know if the right time to change tyres has come? Please help

Sorry if this question has been answered before - I searched but could not find an answer to this specific question
Look at the tyres, there will be a tread wear indicator on it. Its in the form of a small arrow pointing towards the thread, once the thread surface reaches the point, you can change them. There is no hard and fast rule to change the tyre at a particular km. Your tyres can easily last another 14-17k km provided they are maintained well.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:48   #1012
BHPian

Hi , i have booked my swift VDi and i will be upgrading tyres to 15 inch . Please recommend me what profile of tyre i should opt for i.e 195 60 R15 or 205 60 R15 .

Tyres i will be opting for Michelin .
What make of alloys should i go for i.e Lenso , Plati , Neo .

What i need performance plus comfort .I also want my Vdi should look like a toy . I think most of you have known by now that what i want . After going the thread i came to conclusion for Michelin Primacy LC . Bhpian's what you suggest .
Old 19th April 2010, 17:19   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Hi , i have booked my swift VDi and i will be upgrading tyres to 15 inch . Please recommend me what profile of tyre i should opt for i.e 195 60 R15 or 205 60 R15 .

Tyres i will be opting for Michelin .
What make of alloys should i go for i.e Lenso , Plati , Neo .

What i need performance plus comfort .I also want my Vdi should look like a toy . I think most of you have known by now that what i want . After going the thread i came to conclusion for Michelin Primacy LC . Bhpian's what you suggest .
Hi,

You can opt for the 195/60/R15 which is the perfect upsize for the Swift and is the best in providing equal performance and ride comfort.

However, if u want the car to look a little more sportier, you can go in for the 205/55/R15 profile which will increase performane but will be a little harsher on the ride comfort.

With regards to the alloys; all the above brands mentioned by you are good. I personally like Lensos though.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:45   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi,

However, if u want the car to look a little more sportier, you can go in for the 205/55/R15 profile which will increase performane but will be a little harsher on the ride comfort.
How exactly will it increase performance ? Can you please explain .
Old 19th April 2010, 23:02   #1015
Distinguished - BHPian

He means cornering ability will be better with 205/55 R15 due to the wider contact patch.
Old 20th April 2010, 21:59   #1016

Poor Performance of Swift ZXi OEM Tubeless tyres

Hi Folks,

I have a Swift ZXi (2007 , done 44000 km). This car is great expect for a problem that I faced with its original tubeless JK Tyres. After I clocked 30000 km, I started experiencing a strange noise problem. I took the car to MSM Chennai and explained about the grinding noise. During the first meeting, the Technicians convinced me that the problem is with over inflation of the tyre. However, I could not test the car for noise in busy roads at high speed. I assumed that the problem has been addressed. Then again, when I crossed 50 kph speed, the noise was very pronounced, even in a good quality road such as the OMR stretch.

Again, when I took the car for service to MSM, I was advised to change the bearings. They changed 3 wheel bearings in one shot and promised the noise would reduce. There was no improvement even after this. Finally I was fed up, then I took it to a tyre dealer to check whether it a problem of tubeless tyres, after doing some research in the web. There were few reports about tubeless tyres causing such noise problem, particularly after the tread getting hardened. Someone has even attempted to file a patent to address this issue.

Finally, when I changed my tyre with Continental Contact3, the noise got drastically reduced. I may say it is almost nil. Now, I have crossed 44k km. The performance of the car engine is great. It gives me 13 kpl in City and 19 kpl in highway. I drive about 2000 km a month, in mix of city roads and highway.

I don't know, why Maruti use better quality tyres for such a great machine?
BTW, what could be the optimal time for changing the tubeless tyres, 30k km or 50 k km. Earlier I have used my Wagon R / Maruti 800 / Esteem till I clocked 60k km. But then they were tyres with tube.

Any feedback and experience on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bala
Old 21st April 2010, 14:01   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Look at the tyres, there will be a tread wear indicator on it. Its in the form of a small arrow pointing towards the thread, once the thread surface reaches the point, you can change them. There is no hard and fast rule to change the tyre at a particular km. They last anywhere between 40-50k km and at times even more
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_chennai View Post

BTW, what could be the optimal time for changing the tubeless tyres, 30k km or 50 k km.
Any feedback and experience on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bala

I hope this answers your query

Last edited by sachinj12 : 21st April 2010 at 14:03.
Old 25th April 2010, 00:47   #1018
vdi
BHPian

Hi friends,

Read about the use of silica in apollo tyres in the latest editions of ZW & ACI. What are the pros and cons of using silica? Does bridgestone, michelin and YOKO use this? Can someone throw more light into this.

Thnx,

Rajesh
Old 25th April 2010, 15:40   #1019
Senior - BHPian

@vdi

All three manufacturers that you mentioned use silica compound in their tires and advetise it in a big way. Infact Michelin's XM range's extra mileage campaign is based on the use of silica compound.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:43   #1020
BHPian

Best stock aftermarket tyre for swift vdi

Hi,

At 25000 kms 2 of my stock JKs are totally busted due to incorrect alignment at last service at the dealer.

Now I am planning to change all the tyres and am looking for the best stock option 165/80 R14.

I want to stick to the 165's to maintain the fuel efficiency and ride comfort compared to lower profile tyres. Also, the maruti recommends using 185/70 s only with 5.5J rims which are not the stock ones. So dont want to take the risk on that as well.

I see most of the Bridgestone Turanza/Michelin XM1+/Yokohomas which are recommended in the earlier threads come in 185/70 only. Which leaves me with the JKs, MRFs and Bridgestone S322s.

Please suggest good aftermarket tyres in the 165/80 R14 size. Also suggest where I can get good prices for this in bangalore.

Thanks

Most Viewed