Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:38   #1066
Senior - BHPian

I will be getting the delivery of my vdi by this friday(most probably),and will be changing the tyres the next day.Has anyone tried Bf goodrich,i am surprised as i cant find anyone recommending it.Has anyone used them.Will be sticking to stock size.
Should i go in for the michelin xm1 or bf goodrich,please advice.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:44   #1067
BANNED

hi guys , i want to change upgrade the tyres of my swift VDI.

I would want to go for the stock ZXI size so can you ppl let me know the price for michelin ?

Also please let me know some feedback on the yokohama ,i ve not heard of it much.
Old 28th August 2010, 17:55   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Also please let me know some feedback on the yokohama ,i ve not heard of it much.

This thread is a testimony for A-drives

have budget, get Michelin. Else buy A-drives. Happy with A-drives, no complaints whatsoever.
Old 28th August 2010, 19:45   #1069
vsh
BHPian

i have done around 26000km on my yoko-a drives in dzire vdi. these are good tyres and serving well.
Old 29th August 2010, 00:22   #1070
BHPian

My 2007 Dec Swift VDI is still running on the stock JK Tornado on my stock rims. The car has done 61K KM as on today with a max of 4 punctures. The tyres still have tread left for another 10K at least. I generally have 60% city (Kolkata) and 40% highway and rural bengal drives.

City driving is in the speed range of 40 to 60 kmph while in the highways I easily do 120kmph.

My questions are:

1) It is safe to keep using the stock JK's beyond 60km?

2) In case if I should change / upgrade what is the best tyre for me considering the following facts:
i) My budget is 16K for 4 tyres on stock rims
ii) I need to do drive through country side (mud, gravel roads, kaccha roads)
iii) Have around 40% highway drive
iv) Care for FE and Comfort.

3) I was considering 185/70 R14 for my upgrade. Is it the right choice for size? Will my speedo and mileage meter start showing wrong figures after this upgrade?

4) XM1+, BS Turanza E60, Yoko A... which brand and which size?

I am planning a trip to Dooars (North Bengal) this November hence would need to take care of this issue asap.

Look forward to expert advice and suggestions.
Old 29th August 2010, 14:19   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
i) My budget is 16K for 4 tyres on stock rims
ii) I need to do drive through country side (mud, gravel roads, kaccha roads)
iii) Have around 40% highway drive
iv) Care for FE and Comfort.

Michelin fits your budget. Go for it. Next follows Yoko and Bridgestone for comfort.

3) I was considering 185/70 R14 for my upgrade. Is it the right choice for size? Will my speedo and mileage meter start showing wrong figures after this upgrade?

No significant difference. Upgraded from 165 profile to 185 profile on my Dzire. No problems whatsoever.

4) XM1+, BS Turanza E60, Yoko A... which brand and which size?

XM1+>Yoko a-drives > BridgeStone in terms of comfort.

I am planning a trip to Dooars (North Bengal) this November hence would need to take care of this issue asap.

Look forward to expert advice and suggestions.

My replies are in bold.
Old 29th August 2010, 22:14   #1072
BHPian

Thanks Sachin for your suggestions / advise.

However, after going through the various threads in T-BHP it looked like that Michelin XM1+ was great for comfort but had a trade-off in terms of durability in bad road conditions. I do face quite a few bad roads (potholes, mud, gravel, stone chips, rocky surfaces) and hence was skeptical if the Michelin would be able to take the abuse of West Bengal State Highways and the forest / village trips that I keep doing.

I was considering Bridgestone Turanza EM-60 for that matter because it looked like that people considered that it has stronger side walls and can take quite a bit of abuse.

Would you still recommend Michelin for me?

Thanks again.
Old 29th August 2010, 22:27   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sachin for your suggestions / advise.

However, after going through the various threads in T-BHP it looked like that Michelin XM1+ was great for comfort but had a trade-off in terms of durability in bad road conditions. I do face quite a few bad roads (potholes, mud, gravel, stone chips, rocky surfaces) and hence was skeptical if the Michelin would be able to take the abuse of West Bengal State Highways and the forest / village trips that I keep doing.

I was considering Bridgestone Turanza EM-60 for that matter because it looked like that people considered that it has stronger side walls and can take quite a bit of abuse.

Would you still recommend Michelin for me?

Thanks again.
You got it right pal, Michelin offers the best in class comfort (at a cost!). Nothing like it. But, the downside being the durability and the softer sidewalls. There have been few instances where fellow BHpians have complained about sidewall bulge/tear. Its for this sole reason I didn't buy it. At little lesser than 4k, its expensive. If you face too much of bad roads, rocky surfaces, you better stay away from Michelin ( as a precautionary measure). You can consider Yoko or BridgeStone. BS being harder than Yoko. BS has a little harsher ride compared to Yoko. Choose b/w these two. All the best in your tyre hunt

Last edited by sachinj12 : 29th August 2010 at 22:28.
Old 29th August 2010, 23:32   #1074
BHPian

Ok, I think Yokohamna A Drives 185/70 R14 would be my choice then.

Thanks
Old 30th August 2010, 20:55   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I think Yokohamna A Drives 185/70 R14 would be my choice then.

Thanks

Go ahead you won't regret it.

Please do post your initial feed back.

Happy motoring.
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:36   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Ok so after 30k KMS on my Michelin XM1+ tyres i finally decided to dump them and go for something different to suit my swift with CAI and FFE.

The Michelin's were looking totally out of place.

After giving into the monopolistic attitude of New Bharath Tyres [the staff are quite friendly though], got myself yokos 205/60/14s [Michelins were 180/70/14s].

yet to do some serious driving to note down differences but my ride sure looks good now

Anyways my question to the experts out here is, what would be the correct air pressure to be maintained for this tyre profile?

thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:43   #1077
Senior - BHPian

@deathwalkr: Though I can't really help you with the right air pressure for your Yokos but would you mind sharing what pressure you were maintaining on your Michelin 185s? I have XM1+ 185/70 R14 on my swift too but never got the answer to what the correct tyre pressure should be for these. I was always told that it'd be whatever suits me. The guy from the tyre dealer shop (Jitesh, BK Tyres) told me to maintain 30 psi but I keep it varying from 32-34.

Also, how does your tyre tread look horizontally. I mean is it worn out evenly or more from the centre (over inflation) or more from the shoulders (under inflation)? The info on this and the tyre pressure you maintained would really help.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:48   #1078
Senior - BHPian

used to keep it at 29 dude.

and as for wear well really cant help you out there as i just changed them because i felt like it and not because i had to.

hope that helps
Old 4th September 2010, 10:43   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
@deathwalkr: Though I can't really help you with the right air pressure for your Yokos but would you mind sharing what pressure you were maintaining on your Michelin 185s? I have XM1+ 185/70 R14 on my swift too but never got the answer to what the correct tyre pressure should be for these. I was always told that it'd be whatever suits me. The guy from the tyre dealer shop (Jitesh, BK Tyres) told me to maintain 30 psi but I keep it varying from 32-34.

Also, how does your tyre tread look horizontally. I mean is it worn out evenly or more from the centre (over inflation) or more from the shoulders (under inflation)? The info on this and the tyre pressure you maintained would really help.
I see you have a DDIS, for DDIS and 185/70/R14's the perfect tyre pressure I have found out after 31 thousand km of use is . 32 in the front and 30 behind. Gives a perfect balance between ride and handling. Try it out.

30 up front is too low for the DDIS
Old 4th September 2010, 11:20   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have XM1+ 185/70 R14 on my swift too but never got the answer to what the correct tyre pressure should be for these.

IF you had read the previous few pages, you would have found out the answer. Its 32 for front, 29 for rear. See the driver side door panel, there is a sticker which gives out the recommended figures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks