Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2010, 11:17   #1126
Team-BHP Support

Re: The official alloy wheel show off thread. Lets see your wheels!

Here you go -

It looks quite nice, but the flash on the chrome of the wheels make it look a little weird. In real life, it should look great.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-untitled1.jpg  

Old 29th December 2010, 23:19   #1127
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi,

I drive a Swift DZire VDi. I changed the stock 165 JK's to 185 Michelin XM1+

What is the right tyre pressure to be maintained. I have tried the stock recommended, however feel the bumpiness in the vehicle.

Please suggest.
Old 30th December 2010, 06:37   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Hi,

I drive a Swift DZire VDi. I changed the stock 165 JK's to 185 Michelin XM1+

What is the right tyre pressure to be maintained. I have tried the stock recommended, however feel the bumpiness in the vehicle.

Please suggest.
33 front and 29 rear cold pressure works best. if you fill after running a few kms fill 36 front 32 rear.
PS- Use your own well calibrated tyre pressure gauge as some of the tyre shop wallahs guages arent calibrated correctly.
Old 4th January 2011, 13:26   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Want to change my Dzire Diesel's tyres in the next 4 weeks as the car has clocked close to 37k and I believe 40k is the apt time to change tyres. The stock JKs were actually quite bad and the road grip was pathetic. Since my car does not have ABS, the wheels tend to get locked while driving in wet conditions { it has happened twice or thrice in 2.5 yrs, but has some close calls}. Now Im not looking to upgrade to R15s since the alloys alone would cost about 25k. Would 185/20/14 be the best option?
I have checked out Michelin and Bridgestone. Prices are similar, but bridgestone seems to have one option mentioned in their website which is supposed to offer better grip in wet conditions. Anybody here who has used these?
Also, apart from the visual appeal of Alloys is there a substantial difference in terms of braking or ride quality if I upgraded to R15?
Old 4th January 2011, 14:33   #1130
Distinguished - BHPian

If you upgrade to 15' you will lose some ride quality. I suggest you stick to 14. Get 185/70-14 in either Michelin or bridgestone or Yokohama or continental or Apollo. They will all do the job well.
Old 10th January 2011, 15:06   #1131
Senior - BHPian

I had been to a Michelin tyre dealer y/day and the two options he suggested was 185/70/R14 & 195/60/R14. Which would be ideal for Swift dzire VDI? Most of the folks here seem to have opted for 185/70/R14. Also, I'm somehow not sure whether to go in for Michelins or Yokohomas. Michelin is slightly more expensive but most of you seem to have a decent feedback on the same.
And what about bridgestone potenza / duranza? I read in their website that duranza is better in wet conditions, but one of the dealers were saying that it starts to become noisy after about 20k. Is this true?
Old 10th January 2011, 16:28   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I had been to a Michelin tyre dealer y/day and the two options he suggested was 185/70/R14 & 195/60/R14. Which would be ideal for Swift dzire VDI? Most of the folks here seem to have opted for 185/70/R14. Also, I'm somehow not sure whether to go in for Michelins or Yokohomas. Michelin is slightly more expensive but most of you seem to have a decent feedback on the same.
The swift/dzire comes with 5" width rims and as per Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 4 185 is the max one can go with 5". OTOH Some other team bhpians are riding 195/60 on OE rims. As far as Mich vs yoko is concerned I drove on both, one swift and other dzire, on the same stretch of road filled to 33 front 29 rear, and i find Michelin XM1+ to be more comfortable.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:39   #1133

Hey motorworks,

I upgraded the tires for my Dzire as I bought the car in October last year, I upgraded the stock 165/80R14's to 185/70R14 Michelin XM1+. I've run 3600kms so far & the ride quality / performance have been simply outstanding.

I would strongly suggest this tire as it is the best combination available in terms of durability & value for money.

Do let me know if you need any other details.

Cheers,

Nitin
Old 11th January 2011, 15:54   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
I got a quote varying from 3600 to 3900 across different shops in bangalore. No negotiations just direct quotes.

Also, after contemplating sticking with stock size of 165/80 on my swift vdi, finally went with 185/70 Yokos considering the advice from experts here at team-bhp wont go wrong. Really appreciate the reduced tire noise and smoothness compared to the stocks. Yet to take it to highway speeds.

There was a problem with alignment of camber out of spec. Had posted about this in detail in the alignment queries thread.
Hi Ramkris, I read through the thread and see that after lots of message exchanges and cajoling you had upgraded to 185/70. In fact I liked the points you had brought in defending stock sizes. Now that you are on A-drives for more than 4 months, what do you feel? Are you satisfied now that you had gone for 185/70 size? Just eager to know your thoughts now.

Hi All - After going through this thread, I am planning to buy 185/70 A-drives for my 2005 VXI. Is it ok to leave my 5th spare tyre as stock JK itself and buy just 4 A-drives? Or is it a must that I should go for 5 A-drives?
-Dinesh
Old 11th January 2011, 18:23   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Thank you goandude and Nitin. I have pretty much made up my mind to buy 185/70/14 and most likely to buy Michelin XM1. I have run 37k in my stock JKs at the moment and thinking of changing when I hit 40k which should be within the next 2 months. How is the XM1's response in wet conditions? I'm asking this because my dzire does not have ABS and sometimes the wheels get locked in wet condition. I know that the tyre will never make up for the lack of ABS, but do XM1s hold well in wet? I was also told that Turanzas perform better in wet conditions? Any idea about this?
Old 11th January 2011, 22:00   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thank you goandude and Nitin. I have pretty much made up my mind to buy 185/70/14 and most likely to buy Michelin XM1. I have run 37k in my stock JKs at the moment and thinking of changing when I hit 40k which should be within the next 2 months. How is the XM1's response in wet conditions? I'm asking this because my dzire does not have ABS and sometimes the wheels get locked in wet condition. therefore your brakes are better than the tyre I know that the tyre will never make up for the lack of ABS, but do XM1s hold well in wet? I was also told that Turanzas perform better in wet conditions? Any idea about this?
Added comments in bold.

I have yoko A drive and before my brake booster change I could never lock up my brakes. Thus my thinking is that the brake efficiency was not as good as the tyre efficiency. Now I have changed the brake booster and all 4 wheels lock up at extreme braking. Do I need grippier tyres??

Please do not take it that lock up of tyres is good, it is just my way of comparing friction between brakes vs discs and tyre vs road. After all that is what breaking is all about - friction.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:48   #1137

I had same problems with my Swift ZXi at 35000 km with JK Tyres OEM. Then got ContiContact3 (Continental) tyres. They are very good, in terms of road grip, stoppage, low noise, mileage and performance on wet surface too.
Old 13th January 2011, 02:21   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Re: The official alloy wheel show off thread. Lets see your wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Here you go -

It looks quite nice, but the flash on the chrome of the wheels make it look a little weird. In real life, it should look great.
Hey akshay1234,

I will be picking up the Swift's new wheels day after tomorrow. Thanks a ton for your PS trick, really helped me make up my mind. The search for Cedia's new wheels continues.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:29   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Added comments in bold.

I have yoko A drive and before my brake booster change I could never lock up my brakes. Thus my thinking is that the brake efficiency was not as good as the tyre efficiency. Now I have changed the brake booster and all 4 wheels lock up at extreme braking. Do I need grippier tyres??

Please do not take it that lock up of tyres is good, it is just my way of comparing friction between brakes vs discs and tyre vs road. After all that is what breaking is all about - friction.

Thanks for your reply. So how are your A drives? And can you pls tell me as to why you chose A drives over XM1 which too seems to be popular here. Im in a dilemma as Yokos work out atleast 3k cheaper than Michelins when you buy a set of 5, but I actually wouldnt mind paying a little more if I knew that the more expensive ones were better.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:26   #1140
Distinguished - BHPian

Yokos are as good as the Michelins. Both are good but if you are on a budget, go for the Yoko A Drives. You will not find any difference between the Michelins and the Yokos.

The only thing is, the Michelins will be marginally quieter but it will be so marginal, you might not even realise it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks