Old 15th February 2011, 18:26   #1156
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Need some help on my tyre upgrade for dzire VDI. I have shortlisted the below:-

1) B/stone Potenza 185/70/R14 88H
2) Michelin Energy XM1+ 185/70/R14 88H
3) Yokohama--not figured out yet, but I think it has to be C drives with the above spec.

Im looking for excellent grip in wet and dry. I was told that the michelins have assymmetric pattern which is not existent with other companies in 14". Is this going to help in better road grip? I'm also looking at decent durability, hence would like the tyres to last atleast for 40k. Is the potenza up to it, since I have heard that Potenzas wear out quickly.

Thanks.
Potenza GIII will give you the best grip but it's noisy and hard. The Michelin would grip well and give you a comfortable ride and is the most silent.

C Drives are not available in 185/70 R14. Only A Drive is there and is a steal for that price. XM1+ is 4.3k and A drive is 3.7k. Definitely the A drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I saw a Swift sporting 195/65 Hankooks here in Trivandrum. This is also a correct size for the Swift. No idea on their performance though.

I have 205/60 Potenza GIII's on my Swift. They have done around 39k and except for 1 tyre all the rest look good for another 10k. My previous set of Potenza's did around 40k as well.

205s make the steering heavier and take away some of the agile feeling in the steering. Also the initial pickup and top speed is a bit blunted due to the higher friction and larger contact patch. But they give a superb grip around corners. Make your compromise.

I have used both 195s and 205s. 205s give the Swift an awesome look and tremendous road grip but I feel the 185 give you the best compromise in terms of handling, steering effort, and sharp steering.

That said - what am i going for next? - 205s

Drive on,
Shibu.
195/65 R15 is the wrong size. The correct size would be 195/60 R15 and then 205/55 R15.
Old 20th February 2011, 13:22   #1157
BHPian

Hey Guys,

So here I am with my tiny experience on changing the Tyres and Alloys of my Swift Vxi with ABS.

I was looking for alloys as well as tyres as the used car i bought a few weeks, had 2 bad rear tyres, for which i made the dealer (Mahindra first choice) reduce the price by 10k at the time of purchase.

I was not happy with the tyres as I could feel the car had a side roll at speeds around 60-70kph. I had to change the tyres for sure, so i thought why not the alloys be replaced too. So went to a few stores in koramangala, Bangalore to get quotes.

The most reasonable/inexpensive prices were quoted by AutoFusion. So asked him to replace the tires with Bridgestone Potenza G3, Set of 5 and Handsome Alloys (Set of 5). G3 are 195/60/R15 - "H" Rated. Alloys are Silver coated (not sure if this is the right term) with 4 holes. Looks great on the car. Here is a pic of the car with the new tires and alloys.

So I paid a total of 41k for the tire and alloy set.

Yesterday I had been to a place near Bangalore, (Ghati Subramanya Swamy Temple) about 120kms round trip from my place. Roads were generally neat, and some patches of bad roads as well, and nowhere did the car make me feel less confident of the corners or overtaking etc. No noise as claimed by other so far, I was doing 80-100 kmph most of the time except on bad roads, cornering was amazing, car felt kissing the road all of the time, even at high speeds.

Overall, I feel I bought a good set of wheels and alloys.

Something off topic --- Right after I bought the car, after driving a few kms, I felt confident of the brakes on the car, they felt firm and a slight touch and the car would respond to bring the speed down, I really like it that way, Now after a few days of buying the car, I gave the car for servicing at maruti authorized service center, now after the servicing I felt the car slips even when I apply the brakes a little harder, which initially made me feel that they must have washed the brakes or applied oil or something. But I still face the same issue, I am wondering if they replaced the new brake pads that were installed by Mahindra with some old ones, Please advice on how to check the brake pads and also any good after market brake pads that may go well with the Swift? I want good brakes on my car, any help is highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0342.jpg  

Old 21st February 2011, 16:15   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nikhil, one final question, Michelin XM1+ have this assymetric trad pattern whereas I figure that Yoko A drives dont. Is this assymetric pattern an advantage in wet conditions? Also I assume that tyres with such patterns cannot be turned 'inside out' which is usually done after 25-30k or so. Is this correct?
Old 21st February 2011, 19:08   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Hey Guys,

The most reasonable/inexpensive prices were quoted by AutoFusion. So asked him to replace the tires with Bridgestone Potenza G3, Set of 5 and Handsome Alloys (Set of 5). G3 are 195/60/R15 - "H" Rated. Alloys are Silver coated (not sure if this is the right term) with 4 holes. Looks great on the car. Here is a pic of the car with the new tires and alloys.
Congratulations on the car and the great looking wheels

So I paid a total of 41k for the tire and alloy set.
Could you please give us the breakup tyres and rims separately.

Overall, I feel I bought a good set of wheels and alloys.
Have added my comments / request in bold
Old 21st February 2011, 20:23   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Have added my comments / request in bold
Thank You Dude, This is my Baby, I always loved cars, but could never afford one, and this one simply is amazing....

Tire Size 195/60/R15 Potenza GIII
Alloys - Handsome (Honestly never heard of this company and not sure if these are good, but they look strong, so opted for these) - 8 Sprocketed, 4 holes.

Initial Quote 46500
Minus - 4000 for the old tires & Rims (they were not in a good shape), Maybe I gave the tires and rims away at a throw away price.
paid 4650 Per tire, (Set of 5)
Paid 19k for the Alloys (Set of 5)
Total 42500
Minus - 850 (Saved 2 percent charge on swiping through a card, Paid Cash)

I got the Nuts, Nozzles, Balancing & Alignment free (Bought a Spanner for 200 bucks to fit the Allen Key, to remove the tires)
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:37   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
C Drives are not available in 185/70 R14. Only A Drive is there and is a steal for that price. XM1+ is 4.3k and A drive is 3.7k. Definitely the A drive.
I want to know, is there unidirectional rubbers available in 185/70 R14 size .
Something like this
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-goodyeareaglef1gsd3lg-1.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2011, 13:24   #1162
BHPian

Re: Tyre Upgrade for my swift 1.3 TC

I desperatley need an upgrade on my tyres after the recent upgrade on my drive. My current Nankag set ( 205/15/R15) has lasted be a good 30k Kms. I am loosing pressure during high speeds. Guess I need to get something stronger to take the power of the drive. I have a few shortlisted.
Potenza GIII- 215/55/R15-90V
Potenza GIII- 205/50/R15-86V
Advan-A048-205/50/R15
Yoko S.drive-205/50/R15
Tyre gurus kindly guide me get the right one for my turbo charged swifty.
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:06   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre Upgrade for my swift 1.3 TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
I desperatley need an upgrade on my tyres after the recent upgrade on my drive. My current Nankag set ( 205/15/R15) has lasted be a good 30k Kms. I am loosing pressure during high speeds. Guess I need to get something stronger to take the power of the drive. I have a few shortlisted.
Potenza GIII- 215/55/R15-90V
Potenza GIII- 205/50/R15-86V
Advan-A048-205/50/R15
Yoko S.drive-205/50/R15
Tyre gurus kindly guide me get the right one for my turbo charged swifty.
Thanks in advance.
I think Advan will be the best , but im sure guru will be able to advise better.
Also i hope you recognize me , we meet @ a traffic signal in the airport road on 12th feb .

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:13   #1164
BHPian

A tire dealer near my residence in chennai quoted 3850 for Yoko A drives (185/70 R14). He claims that price has gone up recently. Is it true? I remember it was around 3550 around a month or two back.
Should I go for bargain hunting with other dealers?
Price updates from chennai BHPians are welcome.
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:03   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
A tire dealer near my residence in chennai quoted 3850 for Yoko A drives (185/70 R14). He claims that price has gone up recently. Is it true? I remember it was around 3550 around a month or two back.
Should I go for bargain hunting with other dealers?
Price updates from chennai BHPians are welcome.
The guy i bought the tires from also said the same, not sure if there's a tyre mafia ..LOL
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:17   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Need some help guys. Since Michelin's prices are going up now, I have my final question which may help in deciding between yoko A DRIVES and michelins XM1+.
Michelin XM1+ have this assymetric tread pattern whereas I figure that Yoko A drives dont. Is this assymetric pattern an advantage in wet conditions? Also I assume that tyres with such patterns cannot be turned 'inside out' which is usually done after 25-30k or so. Is this correct?
Old 4th March 2011, 01:42   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some help guys. Since Michelin's prices are going up now, I have my final question which may help in deciding between yoko A DRIVES and michelins XM1+.
Michelin XM1+ have this assymetric tread pattern whereas I figure that Yoko A drives dont. Is this assymetric pattern an advantage in wet conditions?
Yes that is right and in noise reduction too.

Quote:
Also I assume that tyres with such patterns cannot be turned 'inside out' which is usually done after 25-30k or so. Is this correct?
This is obviously taken into consideration and compensated for when the tread is designed by the respective manufacturer.

Further you are comparing apples with oranges

Michelin XM1+ > Yokohama A drive

Michelin XM1+ = Yokohama C drives.

Hence if you need all the advantages of the XM1+ at a more reasonable price point get the C drives.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:38   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Khoj for your feedback. I have almost made up my mind to buy Michelin XM1+ 185/65/14. I cant seem to find good dealers for Yokohoma in Bangalore even if I did want to go in for c drives. Anyways, I will try to buy them this month since Michelin is increasing their tyre prices by 12% from 1st April.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:22   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Khoj for your feedback. I have almost made up my mind to buy Michelin XM1+ 185/65/14. I cant seem to find good dealers for Yokohoma in Bangalore even if I did want to go in for c drives. Anyways, I will try to buy them this month since Michelin is increasing their tyre prices by 12% from 1st April.
Hi,
Contact Yokohama at [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']customercare@yokohama-india.com They had responded to me earlier providing dealer information and locations in chennai.[/FONT]
Old 12th March 2011, 11:24   #1170
BHPian

I changed to 185/70/R14 Bridgestone Turanza ER60 on the stock rims right after taking delivery of my Swift VDi. So far done about 7500 Kms. No issues whatsoever. Perfectly stable even at 120 Kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks