Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 23:40   #1351
BHPian

I have a 2009 zxi and as per the tyre pressure card, the recommended pressure for 185/70 R14 is 29 psi.
Old 30th October 2011, 15:20   #1352
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

i currently have 195/60R15 on my swift Ddis, they will last for another 10K kms,i was going through the michelin website, the 195/50R15 is available in the pilot sport 3 range. Is this an appropriate tyre size ? The overall diameter will come down by 1.536 inches. What is the price of this tyre in Pune ? In case this is not the correct size then what size would you suggest.
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:27   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavalkar View Post
i currently have 195/60R15 on my swift Ddis, they will last for another 10K kms,i was going through the michelin website, the 195/50R15 is available in the pilot sport 3 range. Is this an appropriate tyre size ? The overall diameter will come down by 1.536 inches. What is the price of this tyre in Pune ? In case this is not the correct size then what size would you suggest.
Don't put the 195/50 R15 on the Swift. It will be a disaster. The G.C. will reduce quite a lot.

Stick to 195/60 R15. But I think you'll get only Primacy LC from Michelin in that size.
Old 7th November 2011, 19:17   #1354
BHPian

guys, i am extremely confused. I would be taking delivery of my all new swift this week. I plan to change the OE - MRF ZV2K (165 80 R14) to 185 70 R14 or 195 60 R15 (upsize). Been to a few dealers, 3 our of 5 don't recommend Yokohama A drive since one says tyres are prone to pulling to one side and the other says extreme tyre noise. Many seem to recommend Michelin & Goodyear (GP3 or mileage max). The doubts I have are as follows:

1. Michelin are atleast 20% more expensive than other brands. But does michelin do a good job of keeping the road noise to the minimum. Do michelin offer good road grip and enhance ride quality when compared to Yokos or Goodyear?

2. Are Yokos prone to pulling to one side and are they really noisy?

3. How good is MRF ZLO - One dealer says they are the best performance tyre available at the market at present? kinda confusing!

4. Are pirelli tyres made of soft compound rubber? will they suite indian road conditions?

5. If I upsize to R15, will the FE drop? I am asking this because SWIFT Zxi has R15. I hope you understand my concern.
Old 7th November 2011, 19:27   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
guys, i am extremely confused. I would be taking delivery of my all new swift this week. I plan to change the OE - MRF ZV2K (165 80 R14) to 185 70 R14 or 195 60 R15 (upsize). Been to a few dealers, 3 our of 5 don't recommend Yokohama A drive since one says tyres are prone to pulling to one side and the other says extreme tyre noise. Many seem to recommend Michelin & Goodyear (GP3 or mileage max). The doubts I have are as follows:

1. Michelin are atleast 20% more expensive than other brands. But does michelin do a good job of keeping the road noise to the minimum. Do michelin offer good road grip and enhance ride quality when compared to Yokos or Goodyear?

3. How good is MRF ZLO - One dealer says they are the best performance tyre available at the market at present? kinda confusing!

4. Are pirelli tyres made of soft compound rubber? will they suite indian road conditions?

5. If I upsize to R15, will the FE drop? I am asking this because SWIFT Zxi has R15. I hope you understand my concern.
I don't know about the other brands but I am super happy with michelin . I had XM1+ 185/70/14 on my swift with stock rims. Lasted me 64k kms + 2 track days ! And it still had thread for another 5k kms !
Changed recently to 195/60/15 primacy lc . Have run 4000kms on them till now, very happy ! Very quiet and has surprising amount of grip for a comfort tyre !
My car has lost the 'crisp' feel to the steering. But i think its because of the softer tyre . Overall, ill say its worth the premium .
vibhu_f430 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 20:11   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
I don't know about the other brands but I am super happy with michelin . I had XM1+ 185/70/14 on my swift with stock rims. Lasted me 64k kms + 2 track days ! And it still had thread for another 5k kms !
Changed recently to 195/60/15 primacy lc . Have run 4000kms on them till now, very happy ! Very quiet and has surprising amount of grip for a comfort tyre !
My car has lost the 'crisp' feel to the steering. But i think its because of the softer tyre . Overall, ill say its worth the premium .
Thanks Vibhu. tyrestore quoted me 4700/tyre for 185 70 R14 and buyback was 2500/tyre for the MRF ZV2K. Do you recommend any other dealer in chennai?
Old 7th November 2011, 20:38   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vibhu. tyrestore quoted me 4700/tyre for 185 70 R14 and buyback was 2500/tyre for the MRF ZV2K. Do you recommend any other dealer in chennai?
2500/ tire is a good rate for those MRFs . I am not aware of the current XM1 rates, but i paid 5800/tire for primacy lc.

I have never been to tyrestore. So i don't know how good the place is. I have bought both sets of tires from LAL on Lloyds road. He has a big fancy shop and always has stock. I have also been to the other LALs behind sathyam cinemas and Raja tires next to EA. But ended up going back to Lal lloyds road. I feel he has the best balancing/ alignment machines around compared to the others. I don't think he will give you the best buy back prices though . He's very difficult to bargain with
vibhu_f430 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 21:20   #1358
BHPian

Thanks Vibhu. Will check out other shops and hopefully I should get the best deal in-exchange for the stocks. I will visit Lal in lloyds road this week to get his quote
Old 8th November 2011, 13:16   #1359
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,
I bought Yoko A drives for my Vxi 6 months back and am happy. Have not experience the pulling problem so far. And I do feel tyre noise is bit higher than Michelins.
You have will very negligent FE drop on upsizing to R15 which is not an issue.
ndinesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 13:34   #1360
BHPian

Quote:

How on earth will a tyre pull to one side? What happens when you do rotate your tyres.... will they now pull to the other side? It's amazing, the sheer BS some of these people come up with.

I've had Yoko A-drives on my Swift for 3 years, and done 43,000 km in them. They've got very good grip... I've never had a tankslapper despite frequent spirited driving (even more so now after getting the piggyback ECU chip) and have never had extended skating sessions when I've stood on the brakes. The FE never dropped either... I've somehow always managed 16kpl on my VDI since day one. You havent mentioned whether you're getting a diesel or petrol but the tyre upsize will not really drop your FE more than a couple of tenths, if at all.

Michelins are more expensive... I've had a friend who blindly followed the advice of his dealer and bought (much more expensive) Michelins and his car is no quieter or grippier than mine. We're both running 195/60/R15s.

I have a personal bias against MRFs from disappointing past experiences and I haven't used them in 5 years on any of my cars, so I'd be ill-equipped to comment on them.

In short, they're tough, they're hassle-free, they offer great grip, and they last long if you maintain your tyre pressures well and do your rotation/aligment/balancing every 4-6 months.*
I would recommend blindly getting the A-drives. You won't regret it.

Last edited by ghostrider : 8th November 2011 at 13:36.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 20:19   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
Hi,
I bought Yoko A drives for my Vxi 6 months back and am happy. Have not experience the pulling problem so far. And I do feel tyre noise is bit higher than Michelins.
You have will very negligent FE drop on upsizing to R15 which is not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
How on earth will a tyre pull to one side? What happens when you do rotate your tyres.... will they now pull to the other side? It's amazing, the sheer BS some of these people come up with.

I've had Yoko A-drives on my Swift for 3 years, and done 43,000 km in them. They've got very good grip... I've never had a tankslapper despite frequent spirited driving (even more so now after getting the piggyback ECU chip) and have never had extended skating sessions when I've stood on the brakes. The FE never dropped either... I've somehow always managed 16kpl on my VDI since day one. You havent mentioned whether you're getting a diesel or petrol but the tyre upsize will not really drop your FE more than a couple of tenths, if at all.

Michelins are more expensive... I've had a friend who blindly followed the advice of his dealer and bought (much more expensive) Michelins and his car is no quieter or grippier than mine. We're both running 195/60/R15s.

I have a personal bias against MRFs from disappointing past experiences and I haven't used them in 5 years on any of my cars, so I'd be ill-equipped to comment on them.

In short, they're tough, they're hassle-free, they offer great grip, and they last long if you maintain your tyre pressures well and do your rotation/aligment/balancing every 4-6 months.*
I would recommend blindly getting the A-drives. You won't regret it.
Thanks Dinesh and Ghostrider. Your replies are seriously reassuring for people like me. When a reputed dealer says Yoko cause trouble, i felt it will need to ask the experts.

I agree that Michelin is expensive and for sure will for the VFM yokos.

Do you guys have any feedback on Pirelli?

Thanks once again
Old 9th November 2011, 12:41   #1362
BHPian

how much are the 195 60 15 yoko a drives costing now?

I need to change my tyres from the current es100's which have run around 33,000 kms.

thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 19:05   #1363
BANNED

I am planning a Tyre upgrade for swift VDI and planning to move on 195-60-15 Primary LC, while reading this thread I understand using steel rims of Honda city is a good option.

Let me know how comfort is a ride and performance
Old 9th November 2011, 22:05   #1364
BANNED

[quote=MutantX;2570443]guys, i am extremely confused. I would be taking delivery of my all new swift this week. I plan to change the OE - MRF ZV2K (165 80 R14) to 185 70 R14 or 195 60 R15 (upsize). Been to a few dealers, 3 our of 5 don't recommend Yokohama A drive since one says tyres are prone to pulling to one side and the other says extreme tyre noise. Many seem to recommend Michelin & Goodyear (GP3 or mileage max). The doubts I have are as follows:

I have michelin in my swift and done 5k kms as on today,there is no road noise.the grip is amazing but i felt that the ride is little on the rough side after upgrade.

I would also suggest Goodyear and apollo accelere-vento&polo have it as OEM so i cannot be bad

2. Are Yokos prone to pulling to one side and are they really noisy? Yes i heard that they are noisy.I initially thought of going for it but dealer told me that he will not take back the tyres if i complain later on noise.so went for michelin
joshguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 22:17   #1365
BHPian

@Joshguy - thanks ram. Will check other options. Tyrestore does not have apollo accelere. I will call them tomorrow so that I an decide on the upgrade ASAP.

Most Viewed