Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 09:33   #1366
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post

1. Michelin are atleast 20% more expensive than other brands. But does michelin do a good job of keeping the road noise to the minimum. Do michelin offer good road grip and enhance ride quality when compared to Yokos or Goodyear?

2. Are Yokos prone to pulling to one side and are they really noisy?
Michelin is the best money among the Michelin/Yoko/Bridgestone. If you can afford, get them.

Else consider the Yoko A drives. Its a kick a** product and true VFM.

Never let me down. Once, I almost crashed into an ambulance (irony of life!), if it weren't were for the Yoko A-drive, I would have surely crashed. Speed of 120kmph and stopped a good 20 feet from the ambulance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
How on earth will a tyre pull to one side? What happens when you do rotate your tyres.... will they now pull to the other side? It's amazing, the sheer BS some of these people come up with.

I've had Yoko A-drives on my Swift for 3 years, and done 43,000 km in them. They've got very good grip... I've never had a tankslapper despite frequent spirited driving (even more so now after getting the piggyback ECU chip) and have never had extended skating sessions when I've stood on the brakes. The FE never dropped either... I've somehow always managed 16kpl on my VDI since day one. You havent mentioned whether you're getting a diesel or petrol but the tyre upsize will not really drop your FE more than a couple of tenths, if at all.

Michelins are more expensive... I've had a friend who blindly followed the advice of his dealer and bought (much more expensive) Michelins and his car is no quieter or grippier than mine. We're both running 195/60/R15s.
+1 to this, Highway drives always yield me 17+ kmpl. 100% AC, 5 people on board 95% of the drives, speed between 80-110.

I will be happy if the tires last me 40k km.
Old 10th November 2011, 15:11   #1367
BHPian

Got Swift's tyre changed today to Michilin Energy XM1+ (185/70/14) (all 5) for my Swift ZXI, earlier was contemplating between Yoko's, Michilin or MRF ZLO but finally went in for Michilin based on the feedback recieved overall with its performance.

Yet to experience it in real life, will update in next few weeks on the experience part.

Also manage to get the phone (Samsung GURU) as a part of the existing offer of buying 4 Michilin tyres along with free allginment and balancing job and add one complementory Michilin Tissue Box

All in all great experience.
Old 10th November 2011, 18:31   #1368
BHPian

Ive jut upgraded to Yoko A Drive, 185 70 R14. Got a great deal from TyreStore, Chennai. MRFs were picked up at 2500/tyre and new ones costed 4080rs/tyre. Gave away 5 tyres and bought 4 yokos + 1 used spare. Total came upto rs 3800 rs after exchange. Great VFM! and superb service from Tyrestore. Will recommend tyrestore, greams road for anyone who wish to upgrade their tyres.
Old 11th November 2011, 09:01   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ive jut upgraded to Yoko A Drive, 185 70 R14. Got a great deal from TyreStore, Chennai. MRFs were picked up at 2500/tyre and new ones costed 4080rs/tyre. Gave away 5 tyres and bought 4 yokos + 1 used spare. Total came upto rs 3800 rs after exchange. Great VFM! and superb service from Tyrestore. Will recommend tyrestore, greams road for anyone who wish to upgrade their tyres.
Have you taken delivery of your VXI then? Please do put up an initial ownership report- there is almost nothing on the Swift Petrol yet. COngrats on your car!
Old 11th November 2011, 09:04   #1370
BHPian

Can anyone post the prices of Apollo Accelere 185/70/R14? A dealer in Kolkata quoted me 3890/- per tyre.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:32   #1371
Distinguished - BHPian

That sounds about right. Yoko is a little more at 4k.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:47   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Good move. Chances are the dealer would probably sell your MRFs as new tyres, so he's making a killing both ways, but that's not something in your control.

Treat your tyres right and they'll treat you right. Always check tyre pressures at a pump with a reliable air pressure gauge, or better still, spend a couple of hundred bucks and buy your own gauge. Make sure you do your rotations (and alignment / balancing if needed) every 4-6 months and your A-drives should last you 45,000 km easy.

Happy motoring.
Old 11th November 2011, 13:26   #1373
BHPian

Thanks Nikhil!!
Changed the tyres to Apollo Accelere 185/70/R14. The dealer quoted Yoko A drives for 4.2K.
I earlier used to maintain 36(F)/34(R) PSI (cold condition) for my Swift D.
Now what pressure should I maintain for the upgraded one - I tried 34(F)/32(R) today. Is it correct?

Also installed a TPMS .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Old 11th November 2011, 19:55   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Have you taken delivery of your VXI then? Please do put up an initial ownership report- there is almost nothing on the Swift Petrol yet. COngrats on your car!
Hello arindambasu, will do so. I need atleast 1 weeks time to compile the review. will do so next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Good move. Chances are the dealer would probably sell your MRFs as new tyres, so he's making a killing both ways, but that's not something in your control.

Treat your tyres right and they'll treat you right. Always check tyre pressures at a pump with a reliable air pressure gauge, or better still, spend a couple of hundred bucks and buy your own gauge. Make sure you do your rotations (and alignment / balancing if needed) every 4-6 months and your A-drives should last you 45,000 km easy.

Happy motoring.
Thanks ghostrider. *Dealer* yes we dont have control over what the dealer does. Thanks for the tips, I will for sure follow them.
Old 11th November 2011, 20:13   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, i drive a 2007 Swift VXI with OEM JK tornado(165/80 R14) and so far run around 37000 kms. looking at the tyre wear i think i might need change in say next 4-5000 kms(not much time considering i drive my car more now may be 3-4 months)

Now coming to my question, I am satisfied with the performance of these JK tornados. the grip in city as well as long drives, FE(i get around 12 in bangalore city, 15-16 on highways) and comfort level. I was seriously thinking of going for OEM options(like JK or mrf) But after going through this thread(and hearing about brands such as michilin, yoko or say bridgestone) I feel clueless

that is why i need your help in deciding my next set of wheels

My usage pattern:
1. About 10000 km per year. 60% in bangalore city and 40% on highways(trips of 400-500km long).
2. i typically drive within a limit of 80-120km on highways and dont exceed 70-80 in city limits.
3. Considering my car is getting almost 5 year old, i may not keep it for more than 2-3 yrs
4. Since i am not a performance user and heavy duty driver(low usage) my main criterion is road handling and FE.

Queries:

1. I see from these discussions that Yoko A drive,Michilin XM+ and Bridgestone ER60 are popular tyres. What would be my best bet ?

With so many people changing their OEM JK and mrf tyres after few hundred kms, i fear that i might end up getting a used JK or mrf tyre thats why avoiding these common brands.

Also came across goodyear GPS2, bridgestone potenza, Apollo accelere etc. but they are not as famous as above options. keeping grip and FE in mind, which one would be a decent option ?

2. I dont have any plans to change to alloys, so on the stock rims i can stretch upto 185/70 R14 i guess.

So will changing to 185/70 lead to reduced Fuel efficiency(since it will be about 2 cm wider tyre) ? considering the petrol prices of today, i dont want to mess with my already low(12 in city) FE figures. Unless there is any great reason, i feel i should stick to 165/80 R14, but i am open for suggestion.

3. Is there a need for me to change the rims as well ? i read somewhere that over a period of time, rims tend to rust(i dont see any rust on mine) and tubeless tyres may not be effective with old rims.

Time for the answers now.
Old 12th November 2011, 15:15   #1376
Distinguished - BHPian

See, go for the cheapest among Yokohama A drive, Apollo Acelere, MRF ZLO, Bridgestone ER60 and Michelin XM1+.

XM1+ will give you the best mileage. However, the difference will be so minute you may not notice. All these tyres are about even in all other parameters. The MRF ZLO is a good tyre but is very new in the market. It is priced very well but as of now is not tried and tested.

You dont need to change your rims unles they are in very bad shape. 185/70-14 will reduce your mileage a little but I dont think it will be noticeable.

None of these tyres will be available in 165/80-14. You will have to upsize to 185/70-14 if you want better tyres overall.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 21:13   #1377
Team-BHP Support

Among yokohama, what differentiates a-drives, a-drives advan etc? which is best for comfort and noise levels?

Same with michelin. Among primacy lc and xm1+, which is better option?
Old 12th November 2011, 21:22   #1378
BHPian

Changed the stock JK tyres to Apollo Acelere 185/70-14. Just saw on another thread that Acelere suffers from frequent punctures. Is it true or some isolated incidence?
Old 13th November 2011, 19:11   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
See, go for the cheapest among Yokohama A drive, Apollo Acelere, MRF ZLO, Bridgestone ER60 and Michelin XM1+.

XM1+ will give you the best mileage. However, the difference will be so minute you may not notice. All these tyres are about even in all other parameters. The MRF ZLO is a good tyre but is very new in the market. It is priced very well but as of now is not tried and tested.

You dont need to change your rims unles they are in very bad shape. 185/70-14 will reduce your mileage a little but I dont think it will be noticeable.

None of these tyres will be available in 165/80-14. You will have to upsize to 185/70-14 if you want better tyres overall.
Thanks. ZLO seems to be very new, so i would like to hear some reviews about this first

I think cheapest would be Apollo, but i see in few places about puncture incidences with these tyres, so tilting towards yoko,bridgestone or Michilin
Old 14th November 2011, 09:20   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Good news. now you can post some of your findings here and enlignten us as to how pressures change under varying conditions. Digital vampire has done some well controlled experiments in gearheads. Looking forward to your contribution.

Last edited by goandude : 14th November 2011 at 09:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks