Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 13:41   #1381
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
1. I see from these discussions that Yoko A drive,Michilin XM+ and Bridgestone ER60 are popular tyres. What would be my best bet ?
With so many people changing their OEM JK and mrf tyres after few hundred kms, i fear that i might end up getting a used JK or mrf tyre thats why avoiding these common brands.
Personally, Ive had bad experiences with MRF so I would never recommend them to anyone. JK tyres arent bad, but I'd recommend either Yokohamas, Michelins. I had a set of Bridgestones on my Ikon before I upgraded them to Yoko S-drives, and I always felt that they lacked a bit of bite under braking.

Quote:
Also came across goodyear GPS2, bridgestone potenza, Apollo accelere etc. but they are not as famous as above options. keeping grip and FE in mind, which one would be a decent option ?
From what I hear the GP2 and the Potenza tend to use a much harder compounds than their Yoko and Michelin counterparts, which means a slightly noisier and harsher ride. I've never used Acceleres but I know lots of people who have, and they all have good things to say about those tyres. I think you're better off choosing either between A-drives or Acceleres.

Quote:
2. I dont have any plans to change to alloys, so on the stock rims i can stretch upto 185/70 R14 i guess.
So will changing to 185/70 lead to reduced Fuel efficiency(since it will be about 2 cm wider tyre) ? considering the petrol prices of today, i dont want to mess with my already low(12 in city) FE figures. Unless there is any great reason, i feel i should stick to 165/80 R14, but i am open for suggestion.
You need to understand that upgrading from 165 to 185 will significantly increase (a) your grip (b) your handling and (c) your braking capacity, but the effect on your fuel economy won't be more than a couple of decimal points, max. The upsides far outweigh this minor loss, in my opinion - the safety of you and your family is probably the most important thing here.

Quote:
3. Is there a need for me to change the rims as well ? i read somewhere that over a period of time, rims tend to rust(i dont see any rust on mine) and tubeless tyres may not be effective with old rims.
You're the only one who can answer this, because it depends on the condition of your rims. Rust is one factor, but the other factor is the condition of your rims at the circumference. Steel rims tend to get chipped or misshapen at the circumference and this prevents a tubeless tyre from forming an exact seal with the rim. Your tyre-guy should be able to tell you if your rims are too damaged to take tubeless tyres.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 14:12   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Thank you ghostrider for the comments

I am almost set on A-drives now. will checkout accellere as well(if the price difference is too much)

I am keen on 185/70 because that is a decent size for swift and i know that it will improve the handling of the car. only concern was about FE, which if not hit by much, i am ok.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:22   #1383
BHPian

Hi All,

Please suggest an tyre upgrade for Swift VDI , currently running on factory shoes JK 165/80 R14 tubeless.These have run 50,000 KM so I am looking to change .

My requirement in is following order

1) Soft ride ( current ride feels little harsh due to stiff suspension )
2) Grip
3) Durability

* I am not keen to upsize if it reduces mileage.
** Can I identify the year/ month of manufacture of the new tire ? if so will it be prudent to wait for till next Jan ( year) ? to get fresh / new set of tyres ?

Please pardon the noob questions.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:34   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you ghostrider for the comments

I am almost set on A-drives now. will checkout accellere as well(if the price difference is too much)

I am keen on 185/70 because that is a decent size for swift and i know that it will improve the handling of the car. only concern was about FE, which if not hit by much, i am ok.
Please post your experience so far on the upgrade.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:31   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Good news. now you can post some of your findings here and enlignten us as to how pressures change under varying conditions. Digital vampire has done some well controlled experiments in gearheads. Looking forward to your contribution.

Sorry for late reply.

Here is today evening's update:

At start after office.
Ambient temp. : 21 deg C
Tyre pressure: 33 PSI front, 31 PSI rear (was set to 34/32 at 28 deg C about 2 weeks ago)
Tyre temp. : 21 deg C all.

After a run of 40KM. first 30KM at around 60-80KMPH, last 10KM through heavy traffic and lots of braking.

Tyre pressure :35 F/32 R PSI
Tyre temp. : 36 deg C (F), 30 deg C (R).

Tyre : Apollo Accelere 185/70/R14.

Last edited by archat68 : 30th November 2011 at 20:33.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:49   #1386
Senior - BHPian

My replies in bold, hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
My requirement in is following order

1) Soft ride ( current ride feels little harsh due to stiff suspension )
Don't upsize
2) Grip
3) Durability
Michelin's XM1+ 185/70 R14 unless budget is an issue, else Yoko's are a little cheaper, Bridgestone's Turanza's are good too but not certain about the cost.
* I am not keen to upsize if it reduces mileage.
** Can I identify the year/ month of manufacture of the new tire ? if so will it be prudent to wait for till next Jan ( year) ? to get fresh / new set of tyres ?
New year doesn't necessarily mean fresh set of tyres in the market. You can identify the manufacturing date by looking at the 4 digit dot code on the sidewall. First 2 digits are week of the year and last 2 are the year itself.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-your-car.html

Please pardon the noob questions.
fine69 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:26   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Please post your experience so far on the upgrade.
I have checked my tires and was advised that it can safely run another 5K. so pushing my decision to next quarter

If you are looking to change in the near future, here is a summery of what i read:
At this point of time, its a toss between Yoko A drive or Apollo accelere, may be whichever is cheaper. 185/70 R14 would be ideal up size and i am going for that.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:55   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Sorry for late reply.

Here is today evening's update:

At start after office.
Ambient temp. : 21 deg C
Tyre pressure: 33 PSI front, 31 PSI rear (was set to 34/32 at 28 deg C about 2 weeks ago)
Tyre temp. : 21 deg C all.

After a run of 40KM. first 30KM at around 60-80KMPH, last 10KM through heavy traffic and lots of braking.

Tyre pressure :35 F/32 R PSI
Tyre temp. : 36 deg C (F), 30 deg C (R).

Tyre : Apollo Accelere 185/70/R14.
Inference: 1 psi fall every 2 weeks, a 15 degree increase in temp causes pressure to increase by 2 psi and 9 degrees by 1 psi, fronts get hotter than rears. Thanks for sharing.
you could try a longer run, change in pressure with ambient temp e.g. morning vs afternoon, like mentioned here Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure, Temperature Fluctuations
Old 4th December 2011, 12:31   #1389
BHPian

hi...

i m looking for change my swift tyre from stock jk.

i have neo alloy wheels with 14 x 5.5J Size.

i mainly looking for comfort and good handling.

i short listed A - drive, XM1+, Potenza GIII and GY Assurance.

i should stick with 185/70/14 or i go for other sizes.
Old 4th December 2011, 13:03   #1390
Senior - BHPian

OK Now I have run some 200 odd Km with the new setup here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2554599
and am very disappointed with the ride quality. at 33 psi F and 30 R the ride is VERY STIFF and I can feel every crack in the road. Not yet tested the grip levels but the ride sucks big time.

With my previous setup OE Steel rims with 185/70/14 Yoko A drives with 33/30 psi. I used to wonder "why are cars going so slow over rough roads, it doesn't feel so rough to me". Now I can understand what they were feeling.

What to do? try with 30 psi F 28 R or change to something else (wife will kill me). Could it be because of the 14 to 15 upsize?

Any one has similar experience with MRF ZVTV 185/65/15 ?
Old 4th December 2011, 13:20   #1391
BHPian

My change was Michellin XM1+ and my next changes will be Michellin XM1+

Superb control, reduced tyre noise, Enhanced braking, nice tyre roll.
Old 4th December 2011, 15:34   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK Now I have run some 200 odd Km with the new setup here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2554599
and am very disappointed with the ride quality. at 33 psi F and 30 R the ride is VERY STIFF and I can feel every crack in the road. Not yet tested the grip levels but the ride sucks big time.

With my previous setup OE Steel rims with 185/70/14 Yoko A drives with 33/30 psi. I used to wonder "why are cars going so slow over rough roads, it doesn't feel so rough to me". Now I can understand what they were feeling.

What to do? try with 30 psi F 28 R or change to something else (wife will kill me). Could it be because of the 14 to 15 upsize?

Any one has similar experience with MRF ZVTV 185/65/15 ?
15'' alloys with 33 psi will surely make the ride super stiff.

I have put 195/60/15 for my Ritz with MRF ZLO tyres and filled them up with 30 psi on all tyres and i swear the ride quality is simply superb compared to the stock JK which i have been using with 36/33 psi .

So dont worry , simply try 30 on all the tyres , i guess your Dzire has a DDIS heart otherwise 28 should be perfect .

Also i guess any of the new ZDI swift owners can confirm the PSI recommended by maruti for these tyres .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
hi...

i m looking for change my swift tyre from stock jk.

i have neo alloy wheels with 14 x 5.5J Size.

i mainly looking for comfort and good handling.

i short listed A - drive, XM1+, Potenza GIII and GY Assurance.

i should stick with 185/70/14 or i go for other sizes.
If vitamin M is not a concern. then XM1+ all the way, otherwise you can check the newly launched ZLO also.
Also if you want a little bit of looks also, compromise a little bit of ride quality you can try 195/60/15, otherwise 185/70/14 is PERFECT.

Hope it helps .

Cheers

Last edited by Schoudhury : 4th December 2011 at 15:39.
Old 4th December 2011, 15:39   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Could it be because of the 14 to 15 upsize?
Yes and add to that downgrade from Yoko to MRF.

Last edited by archat68 : 4th December 2011 at 15:58.
Old 4th December 2011, 20:03   #1394
BHPian

I can vouch for the Michelin XM1+ (185/70 R14). This is the tyre I have been using for the last two changes on my Swift (run 1,25,000 KM so far in 6 years). The car has been on XM1+ since 47,000 KM.

Excellent wear, driveability and control, albeit at a slightly stiff price.
Old 4th December 2011, 20:33   #1395
BHPian

Apollo accelere is a good tyre too. Much better than the stock JK but not as good a Michelin or Yoko.
I had Michelins in my Zen and they offer super ride quality. But I suffered side wall cut within a month and decided not to for them this time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks