Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 21:02   #1651
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Precisely my thought. The sizes mentioned above are the most common upgrades on the Swift. Never knew that a 185-65-14 is also available in XM2.
185/65R14 is available for XM2 as it is the stock size for i20 Asta.

@Shashank,
I don't think it is the correct size for swift as there is considerable difference in the rolling diameter when compared to OEM spec. I would suggest you to check with the dealer if there is any chance you can exchange the set with 185/70R14 as you wouldn't have run much on the new tyres yet.

Last edited by zenren : 31st December 2012 at 21:25.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:26   #1652

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Precisely my thought. The sizes mentioned above are the most common upgrades on the Swift. Never knew that a 185-65-14 is also available in XM2.
Thanks guys....I somehow got the specs mixed up....went and changed my tyres today....had to settle for Apollo Acelere in 185/70 since the guy did not have Michelins in the required size. Net cost of 4200 per tyre....Can't complain though
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:50   #1653
BHPian

I have a Swift ZDi, which came shod with MRF ZVTV tyres. So far, the car has done 22,000 kms and during alignment the mech's said, it would last for another 10,000 kms with the minimum required thread remaining.

My experience from the OE tyres that came with the car was - they were pretty poor from a grip perspective initially, and then improved, went through a cliff kind and now, again to square one - poor grip. (Did I sound like Steve Slater, talking about the Pirelli tyres on the Merc F1 car???)

I am looking for a 185/65R15 tyres which gives me the good grip, comfort, long life, low noise and good FE in that order.

I was told of Michelin Energy XM2, Bridgestone MY02 (I am not sure if it is available in the stock size). Does anyone have any experience with MY02. I could not get any detailed review on MY02 anywhere.

Are there any other tyres available? Any idea on the prices, pros and cons of those.

I am not looking at upsizing, as I was told by a Maruti engineer from the Kochi RO, that they note these during routine services as an unapproved fitment, and can, in the future affect the warranty of the car.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by scuderiaferrari : 2nd January 2013 at 13:03. Reason: Missed the question on Bridgestone MY02.
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:33   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
I was told of Michelin Energy XM2, Bridgestone MY02 (I am not sure if it is available in the stock size). Does anyone have any experience with MY02. I could not get any detailed review on MY02 anywhere.

Are there any other tyres available? Any idea on the prices, pros and cons of those.

I am not looking at upsizing, as I was told by a Maruti engineer from the Kochi RO, that they note these during routine services as an unapproved fitment, and can, in the future affect the warranty of the car.

Thanks in advance.
Michelin XM2 should be around 5k and I guess you don't have many choices if you are not planning for upsize.

Bridgestone, Yokohama, Apollo Acelere and MRF ZLO doesn't seem to be available in this size as per their official sites.

www.changemytyre.com gives most of the available options and the approximate prices, though I've seen the prices quoted to be a little higher (~200-300) than the market rates. It is still a good place to search the available options for a specific size.
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:02   #1655
BANNED

Guys, i have been using Yoko A drives 185/70 R14 for over 55,000 kms now and i am thinking of change. Though i like the grip and comfort level with this tyre, i am not happy with the tight steering having these heavy tires. Which one do you suggest for next tyre change? i am running on 14"alloys
Old 3rd January 2013, 00:24   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Guys, i have been using Yoko A drives 185/70 R14 for over 55,000 kms now and i am thinking of change. Though i like the grip and comfort level with this tyre, i am not happy with the tight steering having these heavy tires. Which one do you suggest for next tyre change? i am running on 14"alloys
Can't go wrong with the Michelins. I have the XM 1+ on my Swift and Qualis. Very comfortable. Been on Michelins now about 7 years on the Qualis and 1.5 years on the Swift.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:41   #1657
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for 185/65 R15 XM2. Not available in many shops here. It was available in DBS, but they want 5400 per tyre.

The rate given by CMT.com is very good. 5075 per tyre (for 4 tyres) with free shipping, fitting, nozzles and balancing (need to pay for the weights) at a CMT.com authorized fitment center. But there are no authorized CMT.com fitment centers in Cochin and the nearest one is in Coimbatore.

So, looking for other options now.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:13   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I am looking for 185/65 R15 XM2. Not available in many shops here. It was available in DBS, but they want 5400 per tyre.

The rate given by CMT.com is very good. 5075 per tyre (for 4 tyres) with free shipping, fitting, nozzles and balancing (need to pay for the weights) at a CMT.com authorized fitment center. But there are no authorized CMT.com fitment centers in Cochin and the nearest one is in Coimbatore.

Dealers seem to be enjoying the Michelin monopoly, considering there aren't any good alternatives to XM2 for this size. I think you might get better deals for 195/60R15 if you don't mind +1 upsize. All brands have tyres in 195/60 and hence the prices are more competitive.

Last edited by zenren : 3rd January 2013 at 10:22. Reason: typo
Old 4th January 2013, 02:24   #1659
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am not an expert , have in stock tyres and has done 25000 kms , now the tyres has gone flat and want to change badly, Please suggest me something which will last more, had a preliminary enquiry of price, Bridgestone quoted 4.7k whereas MRF 3.2k. Please Guide me.
Old 4th January 2013, 06:48   #1660
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Dealers seem to be enjoying the Michelin monopoly, considering there aren't any good alternatives to XM2 for this size. I think you might get better deals for 195/60R15 if you don't mind +1 upsize. All brands have tyres in 195/60 and hence the prices are more competitive.
185/65R15 itself is an odd size, and barring the Swift Z variants, I haven't seen any other cars coming with this odd size on OEM fits. That size is very rare in all brands, and it is only natural that no shops want to stock dead, non-moving sizes in their inventory.

I agree with zenren here. 195/60R15 is a more universally available size, fits the stock 15" alloys of the Swift perfectly and will perform well. Even the sidewall height isn't going to be much different. 65% of 185 = 120.25 and 60% of 195 = 117. The 3mm decrease is hardly perceptible in ride quality difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
Hi Guys, I am not an expert , have in stock tyres and has done 25000 kms , now the tyres has gone flat and want to change badly, Please suggest me something which will last more, had a preliminary enquiry of price, Bridgestone quoted 4.7k whereas MRF 3.2k. Please Guide me.
Which variant of Swift is this? Do you have 165/80R14s? Do you mean tyres have gone bald? 25000 is a pretty low mileage for that to happen!
You can even try Apollo Aceleres in addition to the choices you mentioned.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th January 2013 at 06:52.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:38   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Get the 195/60 R15, you have got lot of good options in this size. The Pirelli P6, A-Drive, C-Drive, AVS-DB, ZLO. Thats quite a good list of options. Do get rid of those stock alloys of the Swift if possible, there are lot of very good options available for the 100PCD spec of the Swift.

Chennai is another location where CMT delivers, think about it as well

Quote:

Old 4th January 2013, 08:28   #1662
BHPian

I went ahead and got Michelin XM2. I've done about 200 Kms post that.

Came to approx 5100 per tyre and on too of that they took my current set of MRFs for 1000. Which works out to 4850 per tyre after deduction of the price for the old tyres.

I would say they are pretty good tyres with minimal road noise and as advertised lower rolling resistance. You can really make the difference when you let the car coast and in the average FE indicator as well.

One thing which I am not so happy about (probably based on my past experience with Potenza's in my other cars earlier) is the handling. It sure is better than the MRFs I changed. But, in my opinion, they are nowhere close to Potenza's.

So much for Maruti giving larger tyres in the top end version. Just that there are no real options or choices in that size.

I will definitely keep availability of tires in the market in the stock size when I buy my next car.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:09   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
Hi Guys, I am not an expert , have in stock tyres and has done 25000 kms , now the tyres has gone flat and want to change badly,
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Which variant of Swift is this? Do you have 165/80R14s? Do you mean tyres have gone bald? 25000 is a pretty low mileage for that to happen!
I agree with Karthik here. 25k is too less for any tyre. In fact, the stock 165/80 R 14 tyres on my Swift lasted for 47000 kms. I ran them till I reached 50k before I changed to 185/70 R 14 Yokohama A Drives. These tyres lasted only till 38k before they went bald.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:41   #1664
BHPian

Quote:

Its Swift VDI, Its having 165 only, if I am going for bridgestone , should i go for 165 or 180? ya its gone bald @ 25000.. dont know what happened... Enquired @ coimbatore for Bridgestone 180 , he quoted me 4.6k
Old 4th January 2013, 10:52   #1665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
185/65R15 itself is an odd size, and barring the Swift Z variants, I haven't seen any other cars coming with this odd size on OEM fits.
Oh come on! The Ertiga and Dzire Z variants too come in this size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Chennai is another location where CMT delivers, think about it as well.
Coming all the way to Chennai to avail the CMT offer? I have replaced the 'LTD' sticker with the 'Got BHP?' one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I think you might get better deals for 195/60R15 if you don't mind +1 upsize.
True Guys. 190/60 R15 is available in many models. It's just that I think 185 cross section is apt for the Swift and I don't want to upsize. Besides, the stock alloys of the Swift are so inset that the track is even narrower than the L/V variants with steel wheels. Wider rubber on stock alloys will look ridiculous and won't serve much purpose.

Or I should trade both the stock alloys and tyres for 15" Lenso Samurai and 195/60 R15 tyres. That will help the looks (by a BIG margin) and handling (by increasing the track and contact patch) without ruining the comfort. Now, that's a very good thought. And if my wife hear all this, I think she is going make CMT deliver the XM2 home.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks