Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2015, 20:10   #1966
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
How do they compare to AR20 or Michelin Xm2 , just for info ?
XM2 is softer and better but slightly costly and let life due to soft sidewall. You have the budget then go for XM2.

AR20 is good too. I have seen many tyre shops sell AR20.
Old 3rd July 2015, 19:26   #1967
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

OK, so my car was finally delivered to my brother on the 30th of June since I wasn't available in Chandigarh. I will be seeing my car in the metal for the first time tomorrow. First thing I will do is upgrade the tyres to 185/70R14. Decided not to buy alloy rims at this time because I can't afford them at the moment.

I have narrowed my choice down to Yokohama Earth-1 and Michelin Energy XM2. Now all the reviews say both are good tyres but it seems they have different strengths. The primary factors that now seem to be in my focus are fuel efficiency for the XM2 and sidewall strength for the Earth-1. I won't be driving everyday but half the kilometers I clock will be on the highway and half in the Delhi NCR. Is either tyre fine or will one be suitable over the other? I am totally split between these tyres.
Old 3rd July 2015, 20:16   #1968
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I won't be driving everyday but half the kilometers I clock will be on the highway and half in the Delhi NCR. Is either tyre fine or will one be suitable over the other? I am totally split between these tyres.
What kind of roads with this ar be seeing in its life? Is it more of highways or city roads? Good roads or more of pothole filled roads?

If you are going to be using this car more on good ones then go ahead with XM2 else Earth-1 is good enough.
Old 3rd July 2015, 20:26   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What kind of roads with this ar be seeing in its life? Is it more of highways or city roads? Good roads or more of pothole filled roads?

If you are going to be using this car more on good ones then go ahead with XM2 else Earth-1 is good enough.
Well, the car will mostly be used on roads like the arterial ones in Delhi. Just the occasional pothole. Even the roads in Chandigarh are very good. So is NH1 for the most part. Mostly 50:50 city and highway with up to a 10% shift to city. Once in a month or two months I might take some really bad roads which always pinch my Duke's front tyre all the way to the rim. Would the XM2 be tolerant to these occasional bad roads?

I am assuming the grip on dry and wet surfaces of both tyres is more or less at par with each other.
Old 3rd July 2015, 21:05   #1970
BANNED

Quote:
Mostly 50:50 city and highway with up to a 10% shift to city. Once in a month or two months I might take some really bad roads which always pinch my Duke's front tyre all the way to the rim. Would the XM2 be tolerant to these occasional bad roads?
Yes XM2 will be good if the speed as low over bad roads.

It is more silent and holds good grip on dry and wet situations.
Old 3rd July 2015, 21:13   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Yes XM2 will be good if the speed as low over bad roads.

It is more silent and holds good grip on dry and wet situations.
The roads in question are narrow roads near a village in Himachal Pradesh. Speeds can go up to 40 kmph. In any case 185/70R14 is not exactly low profile. I think if I get a good deal on the XM2, I might as well go for it. Earth-1 seems a good enough second choice. Can't go wrong with either, right?
Old 3rd July 2015, 21:15   #1972
BANNED

Quote:

The roads in question are narrow roads near a village in Himachal Pradesh. Speeds can go up to 40 kmph. In any case 185/70R14 is not exactly low profile. I think if I get a good deal on the XM2, I might as well go for it. Earth-1 seems a good enough second choice. Can't go wrong with either, right?
Both the tyres in question are great. But I prefer XM2 over anything else if prices offered are worthy else second choice would be Earth 1.

Do see if you get a good deal on XM2 then go ahead.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 21:39   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Both the tyres in question are great. But I prefer XM2 over anything else if prices offered are worthy else second choice would be Earth 1.

Sure thing. Thanks.
Let's see which tyres I purchase tomorrow. Will post pictures once I get them changed.
Old 8th July 2015, 03:18   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Both the tyres in question are great...

So I bought the XM2 at 1600 INR a piece in exchange for the stock tyres. Posted a bit of info here.
Old 21st July 2015, 00:37   #1975

Steelies for Swift!

Hi All,*

Thanks for all the information being shared on Teambhp and really have to say appreciate the commitment from moderators as well as the members.

So coming back to my query, a couple of days back I was watching this video on YouTube where an old VW Mk2 was being rebuilt for a car show and this particular car was fitted with some really sweet looking steel rims. These were wider and carried a certain offset giving the car a wider stance and looked just brilliant. The steel rims were referred to as "Steelies" in the video and hence the title.

So request your expert inputs on the below:

- How would some steel rims with extra offset and wider tyres look on a swift?*
- Also how practical would it be to run such a setup on our roads? Does this require any modification the to be done to the suspension? (was thinking to upgrade into a 195/65/14) .
- What would be the ideal size of the steel rim (width) and offset needed?
- Where in Bangalore/India/online (ebay) can I find these?

I'm interested to explore this option as I don't intend to affect my ride comfort by upgrading to 15" inchers (Alloy/Steel). Also, steel rims make more sense to me due to the kind of roads I encounter. (a surprise pothole resulted in only a bent rim, whereas I'm sure alloys would have just cracked or damaged beyond repair). Lastly, its cheaper compared to alloys, easier to maintain while also giving some good street cred.

Would really appreciate your responses on this. Thank you!*

Mods: Apologies if this topic already exists. I did try posting this on another thread but didn't get any response so creating a new thread. Please move this to the appropriate thread if required. Thanks again.

Regards,
Ullas
Old 5th August 2015, 16:15   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Finally i replaced my old, stock JK tyres with new ones. I have Swift DZire Vxi model and it was running on 165/80R14. Replaced with 185/70R14. Tyres were run 45K in last 6 years and never gave any specific problems as such. Got punctured only once, that also last week, after which I decided its time for change. JK was not very great but served me decently. No complaints actually.

So went to Tyre shop, Darshan Tyres in Karvenagar, Pune. He is decent & polite guy. Shop has multiple brands with them & they have enough stock as well. Seen following tyres:
1 Michelin
2 Bridgestone
3 Continental
4 Yokohama

When asked him, he said all are good. Personally saw all tyres. I found Michelin and Yokohama to be on softer side, in fact very soft. When i pushed down, it was pressed like anything. Side walls are also too soft. Not sure its good or not. Checked Continental next, found tyre to be good and not so soft. Sidewalls also found to be very good. Basically not too soft. Shop owner suggested to go for Michelin or Yoko if i travel on good roads mainly. Actually i do travel only on good roads, i visit at least 3-4 times a year to my hometown or Konkan belt where some patches dont have good roads & few kms are in bad shape.

So finally after thinking for 10 minutes & carefully observing all tyres, took decision to buy Continental. Not interested in Bridgestone as he has basic ones (250 i guess) and not the Turanza.

Shop keeper quoted price of 4400 per tyre. Tried to bargain him hard but of no use. Finally he agreed for 17200 all inclusive for set of 4. Includes fitting, alignment and wheel balancing as well. I guess its a fair deal and didn't take any effort to check prices anywhere else. Checked the date of manufacture, it was 2215, so its May manufactured tyres. Satisfied with that, gave green signal to them. They changed all 4 tyres in flat 20 minutes & alignment and balancing is also done in no time.

Driven around 100 kms on new tyres till now. Difference is very noticable. Car feels more planted now and tyres are very silent as mentioned by all members here. Grip is also good, not tested enough though. Asthetically also tyres looks good & car height is also increased to some extent. Feeling much better now.

One thing i noticed is, recently i was getting small rattling in the steering. But after new tyres, it has gone. I am plesantly surprised with this. I am really happy. Not sure what was the exact problem. May be suspension?

They have kept 32 psi in all 4 tyres. Tyres are looking neat and looks sufficient, properly inflated. Is this the right pressure to maintain? For old tyres i was maintaining 30 all around as suggested by company.

Still not gone to highways for longer, speedy ride so can't comment on highway behavior. Will post it soon. Till now i am satisfied and happy with the performance & will post updates after i do some more running with new shoes.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:57   #1977
BHPian

Hi,

I am also due for a tyre change in another 5000 kms. Looking for Contis since I drive on bad roads a lot.

Which types of contis did you buy? ContiEcoContact, ContiComfortContact, or ContiSportContact?

http://www.continental-tyres.in/www/automobile_in_en/

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Finally i replaced my old, stock JK tyres with new ones. I have Swift DZire Vxi model and it was running on 165/80R14. Replaced with 185/70R14. Tyres were run 45K in last 6 years and never gave any specific problems as such. Got punctured only once, that also last week, after which I decided its time for change. JK was not very great but served me decently. No complaints actually.

So went to Tyre shop, Darshan Tyres in Karvenagar, Pune. He is decent & polite guy. Shop has multiple brands with them & they have enough stock as well. Seen following tyres:
1 Michelin
2 Bridgestone
3 Continental
4 Yokohama

When asked him, he said all are good. Personally saw all tyres. I found Michelin and Yokohama to be on softer side, in fact very soft. When i pushed down, it was pressed like anything. Side walls are also too soft. Not sure its good or not. Checked Continental next, found tyre to be good and not so soft. Sidewalls also found to be very good. Basically not too soft. Shop owner suggested to go for Michelin or Yoko if i travel on good roads mainly. Actually i do travel only on good roads, i visit at least 3-4 times a year to my hometown or Konkan belt where some patches dont have good roads & few kms are in bad shape.

So finally after thinking for 10 minutes & carefully observing all tyres, took decision to buy Continental. Not interested in Bridgestone as he has basic ones (250 i guess) and not the Turanza.

Shop keeper quoted price of 4400 per tyre. Tried to bargain him hard but of no use. Finally he agreed for 17200 all inclusive for set of 4. Includes fitting, alignment and wheel balancing as well. I guess its a fair deal and didn't take any effort to check prices anywhere else. Checked the date of manufacture, it was 2215, so its May manufactured tyres. Satisfied with that, gave green signal to them. They changed all 4 tyres in flat 20 minutes & alignment and balancing is also done in no time.

Driven around 100 kms on new tyres till now. Difference is very noticable. Car feels more planted now and tyres are very silent as mentioned by all members here. Grip is also good, not tested enough though. Asthetically also tyres looks good & car height is also increased to some extent. Feeling much better now.

One thing i noticed is, recently i was getting small rattling in the steering. But after new tyres, it has gone. I am plesantly surprised with this. I am really happy. Not sure what was the exact problem. May be suspension?

They have kept 32 psi in all 4 tyres. Tyres are looking neat and looks sufficient, properly inflated. Is this the right pressure to maintain? For old tyres i was maintaining 30 all around as suggested by company.

Still not gone to highways for longer, speedy ride so can't comment on highway behavior. Will post it soon. Till now i am satisfied and happy with the performance & will post updates after i do some more running with new shoes.
Old 6th August 2015, 11:45   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Hi,

I am also due for a tyre change in another 5000 kms. Looking for Contis since I drive on bad roads a lot.

Which types of contis did you buy? ContiEcoContact, ContiComfortContact, or ContiSportContact?

http://www.continental-tyres.in/www/automobile_in_en/

Thanks,

Pradeep
Hello Pradkumar,

So what i bought is ContiComfortContact (CC5). As per Shop Keeper it has better sidewall than other tyres. I also felt same when checked. He said it has double layer. BTW, 17200 price was for set of 4 tyres including all, even balancing weights as well. Also its with proper bill including VAT and no extra charges for credit card payment. He has also said that tyre has 5 years warranty against any bulging or unexpected failures or any of the manufacturing defects. Other tyres has it for 3 years only. On buying set of 4 there is a suprise gift as well. Upon asking he gave me Cello brand tiffin box, i opened it after going home. Its good but it has written Bridgestone on it

Since yesterday i have driven 100 kms more. I guess tyre is settling now. Yesterday while going home got some chance of checking braking on wet cement roads. Its surely better than previous ones and gives more confidence to me. Today morning while coming to Hinjewadi got small strech of open road on highway & i raced away, felt really good and car feels more planted than ever before. It has to be as it has larger shoes now. Steering is also little heavier than before, i have mixed feeling for it till now. Its better for highways but not so in city bumper to bumper traffic. But its ok, well within limits. Overall good experience. Let me know if you need any more information, you are most welcome

Last edited by aniketi : 6th August 2015 at 11:51.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 11:25   #1979
BHPian

My Swift VDI 2012 model has done 50k km and tyres seems to be worn out. The tyres are stock. I want to change all four at one go. I have read through the thread but would like some advice for my specific requirements. My primary requirement is comfort. I drive mostly on an expressway but do encounter some speed breakers and potholes too. I am ok with spending upto 25k on this. Looks are not important for me. Second requirement would probably be FE. I usually never drive above 90-100 so performance at high speeds is not that important.
Old 8th September 2015, 22:59   #1980
BANNED

Posting here finally as I am now in line for tyre change.

The car is at 54109 kms on the OEM stock tyres MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15). My Wheel alignment guy has said looking at the tyres that they are expected to run another 5K kms but I don't want the risk. So maximum is the tyre swap by weekend or by 10 days.

Main Requirements
  • Silence during the drive (tired of the high NVH in the Swift) - Absolute priority;
  • Grip - No tyre squealing;
  • Decent price per tyre.

Confused between Michelin XM2 and Yokohama Earth 1.

Does anyone have prices for each of these tyres in Hyderabad?

Preferable/recommended locations for installing in Hyderabad?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks