Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2008, 00:33   #226
Senior - BHPian

Kirti - Both 5.5 & 6J will work just fine, go for either. And no, ABS functioning will not be affected by the wider tyres.
Old 1st June 2008, 01:42   #227
BHPian

Im booking a swift vdi diesel by the end off this month and my type of wheels would be
205/35 "16 or 17"
i know thats gonna bring down the performance but those big rims and low profile is the only way that could make me drive soft and take care or else im afraid i would slaughter the new car..4 sure

Mods note: Use punctuation properly. Use upper case to start a sentence.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd June 2008 at 08:07.
Old 1st June 2008, 01:49   #228
Senior - BHPian

Both are incorrect to a humongous degree & not to mention you won't find tyres in those sizes in India. Stick to 205/50 R16.
Old 1st June 2008, 10:32   #229
BHPian

I was planning to go in for the 205/60/r14.I found out that michelin dont have tyres in that size in xm1+.Bridgestone GIII has it.from this forum i found out that GIII is no longer in production.When i asked the dealer he said its true that tyres from japan is no longer coming in but GIII is being manufactured now in india.He has stock from japan and the new ones from india.he quoted me 3950 for the japanese ones and told indian tyres will be bit more cheaper.What do u say gurus??what should i do?
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:16   #230
BHPian

Need advice

Hi Guys,

I'm getting my Swift Vxi next week and I've decided to go for 185/65 R15 upgrade from the Zxi. I wanted to know if the ride quality will deteriorate to a noticable extent and if the suspension will get affected.

Also, can someone tell me the wheel offset for the Swift?

I know the pcd is 100, but dunno the offset. BTW, I've decided to go for League alloys with Michelin/ Yokos, since I've been running a set of leagues with Michelin Pilot Precedas on my Baleno from the past three years with absolutely no issues.

~Sonic
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:23   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ripper
I have seen all kinds of weird tire sizes on Swift with stock rims...
Most of them are all show and no go...

Since the stock rims are 5j(width) the best upsize for Swift on stock rims would be 185/70-14..

195/65-14 is not recommended on 5j rims, u need minimum 5.5j.. 5j may or may not work well(depends on various parameters of the car) and if doesn't work well the handling characteristics of the car will go for a toss...
Since u are diesel torquaholic head i don't think it would be a good idea...

Hi
I am changing the 185/65 R14 on my Swift (which I have now discovered are not the right size!!.. joined Team BHP a lil too late I guess..) to 195/65 R14.
I would love to go in for 15".. but.. changing my alloys.. is not something I wanna spend on as of now.
Someone learned ..please help me with the following info...
1. Which tyres compliment 195/65 R14
2. What would be the approx cost ? (I live in South Delhi)
3. How do I know the alloys I have at present are > 5J ?? (they are not the Co. fitted one but HR alloys I picked up from Karol Bagh)

Please help.
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:23   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

I've decided to ditch all these overhyped/overpriced brands and go for Apollo Acelere Sports during the next round of tyre change for my Swift. My earlier consideration was the BF Goodriches. The extra costs these brands demand is something that I'm now reluctant to bear for the novelty and utility they provide.

Last edited by theMAG : 3rd June 2008 at 23:24.
Old 4th June 2008, 01:18   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I've decided to ditch all these overhyped/overpriced brands and go for Apollo Acelere Sports during the next round of tyre change for my Swift. My earlier consideration was the BF Goodriches. The extra costs these brands demand is something that I'm now reluctant to bear for the novelty and utility they provide.
Well I would disagree. Apollo is fine but if you were choosing something like a Nankang or a Wanli or even a LingLong it would be preposterous. And most expensive brands don't provide Novelty Maggie, they provide safety. Choose what is more important to you.

What I don't understand is how people can skimp on the most important part of the car (remember tyres are your only link to the road, have a failure at high speed & you'll understand their importance) and happily go spend money on things like ICE, Reversing Horns, Xenons etc.

P.S. What size you considering Maggie? (I hope you're not fitting an incorrect size again) and what is the quote for the Apollos & the others?
Old 4th June 2008, 02:19   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

P.S. What size you considering Maggie? (I hope you're not fitting an incorrect size again) and what is the quote for the Apollos & the others?

Not right now ragman. I''m considering this possibility strongly during the next upgrade which, according to the almost zero usage my car has these days, should take a lifetime or another 10 k kms , whichever comes first. Upgrading alloys is another possibilty(played by the ear) at that time.

I just dont believe that paying 4.5k/tyre which would have to be replaced in another 20-30 k kms from there (S-drives) is really worth it. If Acelere can prove to give me a performance comparable to 75% of an international tyre at roughly half the cost, and comes with a 5-yr company warranty, it does look more practical.

I dont want to go in for 205/55/15 - I believe its overkill. I'll definitely be gunning for a 195/60/15 this time.

You have any negative feedback on the Aceleres?

Last edited by theMAG : 4th June 2008 at 02:22.
Old 4th June 2008, 02:45   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just dont believe that paying 4.5k/tyre which would have to be replaced in another 20-30 k kms from there (S-drives) is really worth it. If Acelere can prove to give me a performance comparable to 75% of an international tyre at roughly half the cost, and comes with a 5-yr company warranty, it does look more practical.
Well let me bust your bubble here. 4.5k is the price for a 205/55 R15 S-Drive. An Apollo in similar or 195 size is going to be cheaper by a few hundred rupees, I would think even 195/60 R15 in Apollo would not be less than 3.8-4k. So forget your dreams of 75% substance at 50% price, at that kind of price range all you'll get is Chinese junk like the brands I mentioned before.

If you think that you're going to get something like a Apollo Accelere in 195/60 or 205/55 under 3k, you're dreaming my man.

Quote:
I dont want to go in for 205/55/15 - I believe its overkill. I'll definitely be gunning for a 195/60/15 this time.
For a stock car 205 is definitely overkill, stick to 195/60.

Quote:
You have any negative feedback on the Aceleres?
Not really, they're pretty decent tyres.
Old 4th June 2008, 09:08   #236

Hi guys... ATTENTION PLEASE!!
I am changing the 185/65 R14 on my Swift (which I have now discovered are not the right size!!.. joined Team BHP a lil too late I guess..) to 195/65 R14.
I would love to go in for 15".. but.. changing my alloys.. is not something I wanna spend on as of now.
3. How do I know the alloys I have at present are > 5J ?? (they are not the Co. fitted one but HR alloys I picked up from Karol Bagh)

Please help.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:04   #237
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK the Acelere Sportz are costly and would in the range of other performance tires..
Normal Aceleres are cheap and VFM.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:31   #238
BHPian

Hi guys,

While we are on the topic of which tyre, I want to solicit your advice for the dilemma I'm in right now!! I need help from you to choose tyres for my new Swift Vxi; I'm upsizing/upgrading to 195/60 R15.

I'm only getting following in the above size:
- Michelin Energy MVX --> 4500 per tyre
- Goodyear F1 GS D3 --> 4500 per tyre
- Falken ST 115 --> 4000 per tyre
- Falken ZE 912 --> 4100 per tyre
- Yokohama A.Drive --> 3800 per tyre

I'm looking for a good mix of performance and comfort (including noiseless), 50:50 I should say. Can you please advice me on which one to go for?

Also, I've chosen LG-199, and I'm getting 5 @ Rs.21,000. Is this too high a price? And should I just go in for 4 and keep a stock tyre as the spare? your valueble suggestions will be much appreciated.

~Nitin
Old 4th June 2008, 13:52   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix' View Post
Hi guys... ATTENTION PLEASE!!
Please help.
1. Very few, Michelin Energy is one choice, not sure about the others.
2. Should be around 4k approx.
3. It's stamped on the back of the wheel. Should read something like 14x5.5J or 6J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
I'm upsizing/upgrading to 195/60 R15.

I'm only getting following in the above size:
- Michelin Energy MVX --> 4500 per tyre
- Goodyear F1 GS D3 --> 4500 per tyre
- Falken ST 115 --> 4000 per tyre
- Falken ZE 912 --> 4100 per tyre
- Yokohama A.Drive --> 3800 per tyre

I'm looking for a good mix of performance and comfort (including noiseless), 50:50 I should say. Can you please advice me on which one to go for?
Choose between Michelin & Yoko. Avoid Goodyear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
Also, I've chosen LG-199, and I'm getting 5 @ Rs.21,000. Is this too high a price? And should I just go in for 4 and keep a stock tyre as the spare? your valueble suggestions will be much appreciated.
If you don't mind using a 14" spare I don't see a problem with buying 4 only. Also, prices are just a wee bit high. Should be around the 4k mark at the max.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:44   #240
BANNED

hi guys..

i had decided to go in for 195/65/14 Yoko A.drive for my swift as the only other tyre in that size was the venturas and went to the my trye dealer yesterday.

however once i went there he said that he also had 195/65/14 in Michelin
Energy XM1 which according to all the other michelin shops that i went to said were not available in india.

So how come this guy has the size when no michelin shop in mumbai has that size??

Also now since 195/65/14 is available via him in michelin XM1 i'm confused whether i should take them or else the ADrive in same size ???

Thanks for input and advice...

Rana

Most Viewed