Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 07:09   #346
Senior - BHPian

ok dumba-- questions since I'm a complete n00b in this line. Questions for a VDi:
(if there's a wiki/car bible types link please guide me there)

a. With a quite bad back, my primary aim is comfort.
b. The car will go touring all over. So noise notwithstanding (good to have less), want ones heavily resistant to puncture. Can let go of some grip (though better than OEM tornados) since most hill driving would be quite sedate. Handling again isnt a problem for same reasons
c. Exchange price for rims/tyres in delhi? Good shops? I'm aware of ones around LSR and KB. (got 13" indica apollo acceleres for 2400 no bargaining and same was ~200 odd cheaper in KB)
d. Are there fake alloys being sold? Sorry for stupid koshuns but delhi mein sab kuch hota hai
e. Since the car will take quite a bit of unwanted offroading, I desire a tyre/alloy combo which has least lip protrusion (alloy jutting out where it meets tyre) - because then stones can hit and chip off the alloy (seen that on an SUV).
f. Lastly, I recall Michelin XM1s 13" for 2600 in Jan at the LSR guy. So am planning a similar budget (although there's no real constraint). And about 15-17k for alloys since I want function and simple clean form - no bling.

so gurus fire away.

/ the wait is 2-3 weeks more so need to do homework now
// The sales guy is otherwise ready to give Apollos as is, no payment. Would I still need to upgrade. I have zero faith in the Tornados and am upgrading to avoid bent rim/air leakage whilst touring.
Old 13th August 2008, 12:50   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

OEM tornado s have pathetic grip but they provide decent comfort and are very cheap to replace,if comfort is your first priority then why dont you look for XM1 or acelere not much far away from OEM size?
Old 13th August 2008, 14:35   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
(if there's a wiki/car bible types link please guide me there)
Search for Swift threads in the Tyre & Alloy section, all the info is already there.

Quote:
a. With a quite bad back, my primary aim is comfort.
b. The car will go touring all over. So noise notwithstanding (good to have less), want ones heavily resistant to puncture. Can let go of some grip (though better than OEM tornados) since most hill driving would be quite sedate. Handling again isnt a problem for same reasons
c. Exchange price for rims/tyres in delhi? Good shops? I'm aware of ones around LSR and KB. (got 13" indica apollo acceleres for 2400 no bargaining and same was ~200 odd cheaper in KB)
d. Are there fake alloys being sold? Sorry for stupid koshuns but delhi mein sab kuch hota hai
e. Since the car will take quite a bit of unwanted offroading, I desire a tyre/alloy combo which has least lip protrusion (alloy jutting out where it meets tyre) - because then stones can hit and chip off the alloy (seen that on an SUV).
f. Lastly, I recall Michelin XM1s 13" for 2600 in Jan at the LSR guy. So am planning a similar budget (although there's no real constraint). And about 15-17k for alloys since I want function and simple clean form - no bling.
A & B. Considering the best choice would be to choose between Michelin XM1+, Yokohama A.Drive & Apollo Accelere's.

C. Do some leg work & talk to few dealers, you'll get an idea. Last I checked I think they were offering around 1.2k per stock tyre. Also check with them if exchange value is higher if you give them Apollo's.

D. No fakes as such, just inspired by other designs! Fakes are more in the category where wheels cost 40-50k for a set & more.

E. Stick to 14" alloys with 185/70 R14 rubber which is the standard size on the ZXi.

F. 14" Tyres for 2.6k are a pipe dream but might be possible in exchange. I would estimate 185/70 R14 tyres to cost about 3.5-3.8k per piece since there's been a recent price increase across all brands. And you'll easily get a set of 5 14" alloys in 15-17k.

Quote:
/ The sales guy is otherwise ready to give Apollos as is, no payment. Would I still need to upgrade. I have zero faith in the Tornados and am upgrading to avoid bent rim/air leakage whilst touring.
What Apollos & what size?? If it's 165/80 then he' giving you Amazer XL's which are worthless & if it's Accelere then it can only be 185/70 R14 since it doesn't come in 165/80. But getting the Accelere's would be a sweet deal even though I don't think that will be the case.
Old 13th August 2008, 16:27   #349
Senior - BHPian

Came to know an interesting thing off late. My cousin has a Swift Vdi. He got the tyres upgraded with 15' alloys. Instead of selling his stock tyres and rims he has kept them and whenever the car goes to service he just changes them so the warranty remains and doesn't gets voided. Has anyone here done the same?
Old 13th August 2008, 18:59   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Came to know an interesting thing off late. My cousin has a Swift Vdi. He got the tyres upgraded with 15' alloys. Instead of selling his stock tyres and rims he has kept them and whenever the car goes to service he just changes them so the warranty remains and doesn't gets voided. Has anyone here done the same?
How does upsizing tyres void the warranty ?
Old 15th August 2008, 10:25   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
I have Michellin XM1+ (185/70 R14) on my Swift and have done about 4k kms and it really rocks. The feel and handling is very good. I would recommend Michellin but am not sure about the longevity part. The dealer said it would last for 45k but I doubt that and I will be happy with 40K.
Hi Diwa,
I have a Swift Zxi and am sick of the ride quality with the original JK Vectras. So tired of them (after only 7000Kms) that I have even thought of selling the car. Am now thinking of upgrading to Michelin XM1+ (185/70/14). Did it make a big difference to the ride quality/comfort? Are you still happy with your Michelins? How much did you pay? Dealer is quoting 3600/= per tyre.
Old 4th September 2008, 09:28   #352

Right Tyre Upsize for my Swift VXI

Hi Friend I have just brought home my new baby my Swift VXI yesterday. I want to upsize the tyre as the stock ones are very narrow and kill the look.

I am looking to go for alloys and upsize. Please suggest if should go one rim size up to R15 or just ghet broader tyres in R14 size. Also what is kind of impact it will have on FE, whether the tyres will touch the fenders and also

which tyres would you recommend. Please suggest ASAP as i need to get it done on the weekend

Thanks

ASH

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th September 2008 at 12:29. Reason: SEARCH
Old 13th September 2008, 12:37   #353
BHPian

Tyre & Alloy Upgrade for Swift Ldi

Hi All.

So... some of you might remember my recent thread for upgrading the alloys and tyres on my baby.

Now I'm getting delivery of my Swift Ldi (got a deal where I got ready delivery, but only on an Ldi model, no Vdis) in a couple of days, and wanted TBHPians advice on what rims and alloys to get.

Since I've already burned a hole in my pocket with the new alloys for the Ikon and the down payment on the Swift, budget is a big concern.

Also, the Swift will have some serious milage being put on her (1500 Kms per month easy), with out of town trips as well, so low-profile rubber is not an option.

Questions:

1. Stock Ldi rubber is 165/80 R14 running on steel wheels. Is 185/60 R14 a good tyre upgrade?

2. Yokohama S-drives are a little pricey (just put them on the Ikon and I LOVE them). So what are my rubber options, and what will they cost me? How are the Goodyear NCT5s?

3. Alloys? I'd prefer imported alloys (not a big fan of Aura or Neo), so Lenso, League, Hijoin, etc. Anyone know a good place in Mumbai (preferably south or central Mumbai) where I can get a good deal on the new tyres and alloys, with the max buy-back for the stock rubber?

4. Lastly, if any of you have upgraded the footwear on your Swifts, please share pics or links to pics.

Thanks, guys.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th September 2008 at 14:38. Reason: Search !!
Old 18th September 2008, 15:51   #354
Senior - BHPian

I hear from company sources not to use non MGA alloy wheels as they are causing suspension issues in many Swift Ds and Maruti would not stand by for such issues and will not honour waranty. Is this true? How many in this forum have suspension issues due to Alloy wheels that are non MGA?

PS - Alloy wheels from MGA (Maruti Genuine Accesories) costs 5000 rs a wheel.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:18   #355
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I have a swift vdi as well and follow the same practice.
i have kept the stock steel rims and tyres and upgraded to 15''.
my car has only done 4500kms but whenever i feel in future i am having problem with the suspension i would change to the stock set and send them to the service station.
so in that case the warranty wouldnt be void.
i also have taken extended warranty so my suspension is covered till 60k kms.
i have followed the same practice in my baleno as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Diwa,
I have a Swift Zxi and am sick of the ride quality with the original JK Vectras. So tired of them (after only 7000Kms) that I have even thought of selling the car. Am now thinking of upgrading to Michelin XM1+ (185/70/14). Did it make a big difference to the ride quality/comfort? Are you still happy with your Michelins? How much did you pay? Dealer is quoting 3600/= per tyre.
The price quoted is good enough.
i am sure you would be happy with ur ride after you change from stock tyres to michelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I hear from company sources not to use non MGA alloy wheels as they are causing suspension issues in many Swift Ds and Maruti would not stand by for such issues and will not honour waranty. Is this true? How many in this forum have suspension issues due to Alloy wheels that are non MGA?

PS - Alloy wheels from MGA (Maruti Genuine Accesories) costs 5000 rs a wheel.
No company will honour warranty on suspension if u upgraded your rim.
Every company would say to use their oem products.
This isnt just limited to the swift but all cars from the maruti stable.
So far i have done 4500 kms on the swift D and the only problem i face is my car pulls to the left when at speeds over 70 kmph.
All Co's will ask you to stay away from upsizing and free flow but at the end of the day its your call.
i dont see any problem if u have upgraded to good quality rims.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:51   #356
Senior - BHPian

Thanks BHP.

Another question - On stock steel 14 " wheels can I mount 185/70/R14 tyres? My question is - Is the width of the wheel sufficient enough to hold 185/70 tyres.

Thanks.
Old 18th September 2008, 18:29   #357
bhp
BHPian

yes u can 185 mm tyres on the stock steel rims..its sufficient
Old 18th September 2008, 20:28   #358
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Thanks BHP.

Another question - On stock steel 14 " wheels can I mount 185/70/R14 tyres? My question is - Is the width of the wheel sufficient enough to hold 185/70 tyres.

Thanks.
thats what I've been using on the VDi. so far, its all good. thats the stock size for the zxi anyway.

Old 20th September 2008, 08:26   #359
BHPian

Hey Guys ! Finally I am getting my VDi on First Navratri. Already decided the Tyres.
Yoko. S.Drive Pattern No. AS01 - 205/50R15 - I m getting it for 4800 Rs. / tyre.
Do you guys think 50 will be too low? I am going to drive it mostly in city with occasional highway trip.
Old 20th September 2008, 09:37   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Already decided the Tyres.

Yoko. S.Drive Pattern No. AS01 - 205/50R15

Do you guys think 50 will be too low? I am going to drive it mostly in city with occasional highway trip.
Congrats on the car!

If your not into speeds and spirited driving then even 195/60/15 would be more than sufficient from the performance aspect.

If you have already decided for bigger tyres then for the Diesel I would recommend sticking to 205/55/15 particularly due to the engine weight. Swift bumpers(front) are also notorious for getting scraped on the underneath.

In the Petrol 205/50/15 doesnt cause as many problems. Still its better avoided so that one doesnt end up with excess suspension wear etc.

Do note that S-Drives are soft compound (ok semi-soft!) and would last maybe 30000km give or take a couple of thousand based on usage. Tire(road) noise is also a bit on the higher side owing to the Swifts tin like build.

Mind you the S-Drives are super performers. The grip and handling is amazing especially with the Swifts inherent handling characteristics. Wet weather also wont be a deterrent you can drive as you please with no worries.

Disclaimer : I use 205/55/15 S-Drives

Most Viewed