Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Problem with my Baleno's spare (alloy) wheel

I am definitely gonna be in a bad shape the next time my car has a flat tyre. Let me explain why.

I bought my car in Jan 2007 and it happens to be the last of the Balenos out there. This was a Vxi variant and it came with 165/85/R14 alloy wheels. Everything was going well until very recently, I went to top up so Nitrogen in my wheels I found that the spare alloy wheel had a huge crack on it and whatever nitrogen went in was going out as fast as it was filled in.

I checked with a couple of MGP stores and some authorized service centres but none of them seem to have the alloy or the steel wheel rims of the same size that my car runs on. This makes me wanna Maruti for 2 things

1. the just killed the Baleno for no reason and
2. Putting an odd size wheel on a car that wasn't really out there.

Can someone guide me what I could do to get the steel rims of the same size for my spare wheel please?
Old 6th July 2011, 11:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Problem with my Baleno's spare (alloy) wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Can someone guide me what I could do to get the steel rims of the same size for my spare wheel please?
You should try JC Rd; you'll find everything under the sun in that place.

Hit JC rd; there'll be kids running around and if you stop on the main road, one of them will come to you asking what you need. Ask them to get you a tyre guy.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 12:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. if you want to keep the alloy, how about going tubed for the spare?
2. isnt that the swift's rim size? You sure the swift rim wont fit?
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

ron what greenie says is true. Get the Swifts stock alloy/rim, 100 PCD and 14 inch. Fits the bill perfect and also fits the baleno perfectly.
You shouldn't have any issues sourcing this since the swift is still being sold. Also if you think that you wouldn't get the same design, relax it's only the spare wheel and you seldom would be needing this.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 13:09   #5
BHPian

I like greenie signature "missing his wheels" that applies to me literally with a twist. Well I am not sure about the swift's wheel. The tyre size for the 14 inchers that came in the Baleno is 165/85 R14, are you sure this is the same that comes for the Swift?? Could someone help me with the tyre size for a swift please?

@ rj i completely agree with your point about the spare wheel, but for some reason since I dont have a working spare will in my trunk I always seem to think I m gonna have a flat tyre soon. Am I paranoid?? well i dont know. Again, driving on Bangalore roads, there are some places that are capable of ripping off your entire wheel from your car. So I just wanna play safe

@ librano I would definitely hit JC road to find something there.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could someone help me with the tyre size for a swift please?
Yes, the swift lxi and vxi came with 165 section tyres. The zxi was shod with 185 section. All on 14 inchers.

But then, its not the tyre size you have to worry about. Its the PCD of the rim, which greenhorn and rjstyles have confirmed.

I'll give you an even better tip: With so many Swift owners swapping for alloys, shop around and you will find a brand new swift rim for throw away prices. IIRC, the tbhp giveaway thread had one.

Last edited by dhanushs : 6th July 2011 at 13:21.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

I can confirm that the swift's rims do fit the baleno's hubs. there's a lot more info on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...el-thread.html
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 13:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre size for the 14 inchers that came in the Baleno is 165/85 R14, are you sure this is the same that comes for the Swift?? Could someone help me with the tyre size for a swift please?
ron the alloy and the tire are two different entities. You seem to be more focused on the tire size than the actual specs of the alloy. Once again a 100 PCD alloy with 5J width can be used with various tire size combinations. So lets erase that 165/85/R14 off your mind for now.

For a baleno these 175/65-14 , 175/70-14 , 185/65-14 ,195/60-14 the available sizes in 14 inch wheels, mind you am talking about the tires and not the alloys. So in the real world you can run any of these tire sizes on a 14 inch alloy ,100 PCD and 5J width.

Now the swift comes with size 165/80-14 with stock size from the factory. So if you do a comparison there is a .5mm difference in the sidewall height between the swift and the baleno's stock tire sizes.This doesnt really cause any sorta problems to the car in terms of speedo error or the wheels scraping the mud flaps while turning.

So go ahead and pick up a set of swifts alloys if you can find one in the market and shod it with any of these tire sizes 175/65-14 , 175/70-14 , 185/65-14 ,195/60-14. They will go pretty well on the baleno without any issues.

Quote:
@ rj i completely agree with your point about the spare wheel, but for some reason since I dont have a working spare will in my trunk I always seem to think I m gonna have a flat tyre soon. Am I paranoid?? well i dont know.
On a lighter note, yes you are .

Quote:
Again, driving on Bangalore roads, there are some places that are capable of ripping off your entire wheel from your car. So I just wanna play safe
In that case your best bet is 175/70-14 or 185/65-14. Now go get a swift alloy and drive in peace.BTW am an ex-baleno owner changed wheels like 4 times , so you can take my word for it .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 14:13   #9
o.D
BHPian

I have a 14" swift rim, with a 185 profiled tyre as a spare ever since I upgraded to 195-55 R15's. Used the spare on the rear only once on the Mangalore-Bangalore highway and could barely feel the difference. I have another set of the 14" with 185's as spare and you can take it if interested.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks