Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 14:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Continental Tyres are a headache !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
I know that Continental does not make bad tires. On my car also I have ContiSports contacts 2. They are certainly not for Kolkata roads. BTW I discovered that they are not MOE run flats but MO tubeless.

Coming to availability no tires with the required specs are available locally in India !!!!
The Michelin dealer agreed to source me a set of 5 for Rs.17,000 each. from somewhere

Bridgestone threw up their hands. I guess my next stop will be the Merc dealer in which case I am stuck with Conti. But at least I can buy them piecemeal and replace the damaged one only.

Rgds
I have been able to source Michelin finally !! I decided to replace one which was damaged rather than going for an overhaul. So now my spare is a Michelin Pilot Preceda. Available at Indo Radial Club in Kolkata for Rs. 16500 a pop (plus tax comes to about Rs. 18720). The tread pattern is exactly the same as the conti sports contact2. Merc workshop recommended the tyre as Continental is difficult to get. Michelin has apparently got over the ISI issue. Merc I was told is also shifting to Michelins. The workshop mentioned that they have been told to advice owners to stay at 38 PSI for the conti tyres. I find that too hard on the bum but I shall give it try if it prevents punctures !!

I had a good look at the inside of the old tyre. It was a mess. Parts of the surface in patches near the wall was actually burnt away and was in powder form. This was obviously the result of the rim on the rubber inside. The real damage was not at all noticeable from the outside. For tubeless tyre puncture repair, the mechanic never strips the tyre from the rim but plugs the puncture from the outside. I'd advise that if you have any doubts, get the tyre stripped and look inside at the time of repair.

Rgds
Old 17th December 2011, 00:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^ What do you think may have caused the damage to the wall? Any particular observations on that?
Old 24th December 2011, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ What do you think may have caused the damage to the wall? Any particular observations on that?
This was the result of the inside fo the rim rubbing against the inside wall. I did not drive long after the tyre pressure warning came on the dash. - Just to a safe place to park for the change as I was in a construction zone. So it does not take long to damage the wall.

Rgds
Old 24th December 2011, 17:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks for your reply mate. Are the Michelins that you got, run-flats? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 28th December 2011, 15:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ Thanks for your reply mate. Are the Michelins that you got, run-flats? Pardon my ignorance.
No they are not. BTW the OEMs on the Merc - Conti SP2 are also NOT run flats.

Rgds

Most Viewed