Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 20:25   #1
BHPian

Strange issue with my Corolla tyre

I need some inputs on a strange situation which I am facing since the past 3-4 weeks. The car has run 29000 Kms and the tyres have been rotated every 10000 Kms. The left rear tyre is slightly deflating and holding at 23 psi. The recommended pressure is 30 psi and I get all the 4 tyres infated every week and everytime I have been noticing that the left rear tyres comes down to 23 psi as opposed to the rest 3 show as 28-29 psi. Not sure what could be the case? I rule out puncture as the tyre is not completely deflating. Appreciate your help

Last edited by onesomeone : 24th August 2011 at 20:28.
Old 24th August 2011, 20:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Strange issue with my Corolla tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
I need some inputs on a strange situation which I am facing since the past 3-4 weeks. The car has run 29000 Kms and the tyres have been rotated every 10000 Kms. The left rear tyre is slightly deflating and holding at 23 psi. The recommended pressure is 30 psi and I get all the 4 tyres infated every week and everytime I have been noticing that the left rear tyres comes down to 23 psi as opposed to the rest 3 show as 28-29 psi. Not sure what could be the case? I rule out puncture as the tyre is not completely deflating. Appreciate your help
It is a puncture! The loss of air in a tubeless tyre is much much slower compared to tube types.
Get the tyre inspected for punctures, I can positively say that they will find some small nail or something that has made a tiny hole.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Have the tyre checked in a tyre shop.

There must be a leak in the tube near the valve (a very notorious place for slowly deflating tyres). If so, you'd have to change the tube. Hope you've checked the valve though.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 21:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Definitely it's a puncture. I too faced same kind of issue before some months and a big nail was punctured the tyre and lost air very slowly like what you said. Please check with puncture wala.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 21:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A case of slow puncture, maybe a nail or more must be in the tire leading to loss in air. Get it checked at the Puncturewala, once he dips the tire in water, the bubbles will tell you the exact cause. With tubeless tires slow punctures are a common experience.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th August 2011 at 21:27.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 21:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

As others have stated its a small/minor puncture and hence this tyre is loosing pressure. This is what i like about tubeless as they never get you stranded in the middle of the road and if you wish you can carry on like this for sometime. Although i would recommend go to a nearby tyre repair guy and he will fix this in 15 mins flat. Alternatively you could also buy a tubeless puncture repair kit.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 22:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Get the tyre out and check for a leak or there could be air escaping because of dust accumulating between the tubeless tyre and alloy rim. This happened to me once after a long drive the tubeless tyre deflated totally and the puncture wasn't located so got the tyre to another tyre dealer and he also couldn't locate the leak and said that there could be dust getting between tyre and alloy rim leading to air escape.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:07   #8
BHPian

Thanks all of you for a quick reversion..I will go to the tyre shop this week and get it checked
Old 24th August 2011, 22:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
I have been noticing that the left rear tyres comes down to 23 psi as opposed to the rest 3 show as 28-29 psi.
I think its a clear case of valve/neck damage. A high speed highway run, and you should lose more pressure.

In any case, its cheap to replace. IIRC, 100 bucks. Get any tyre issue sorted ASAP.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 22:13   #10
BANNED

It can also be a case of valve leak .Get it checked before puncture . May save you 70Rs.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:22   #11
BHPian

Seems to be a puncture or a defective valve. One week is not long enough for the tyre to deflate completely if its a small intrusion into the tyre or a minor leak from the valve.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Get the tyre out and check for a leak or there could be air escaping because of dust accumulating between the tubeless tyre and alloy rim.
Just wondering if dust accumulating between the tubeless tyre and alloy rim is the cause or effect of slow air loss. Under normal pressure, the seal is quite tight - unless the wheel rim has been damaged and slightly skewed.

Opinions please
Old 25th August 2011, 10:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

@basky: It could be either way round.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks