BHPian

Tyre shops review

Hello all,

Please find here a short review of some of the tyre shops in Bangalore

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post786780

Nirmal
Old 18th June 2008, 09:43   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

i had a lousy experience with Sai Iyengar (Lalbagh). he doesn't follow up, you have to constantly remind him about your requirement. i was asking him to get me yoko s-drives and he told me he doesn't have stock. but 15 minutes later when I went to the A.S.S for servicing and tyre change, the same Iyengar fellow shipped yoko S-drive tyres to the A.S.S.
Old 18th June 2008, 13:55   #168
Team-BHP Support

You got from Lalbagh to KR puram in 15 min?
Old 18th June 2008, 15:53   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

i spoke to him over the phone.

long story. one day i noticed that one of the front tyres had a crack (around 9K mileage) and TAFE tells me cracks are not covered under warranty. so based on some really nice reviews on this forum, I visited this Sai Iyengar shop and met Mr.X and made a deal for Michelin PP2 225/50-16 tyres because Michelin PP2 does not come in my stock size 205/55. He said he would call me once the stock arrives which would take about a weeks time. No follow up after that. Meanwhile I changed my mind about 225 and decided to stick to 205 profile and folks on this forum recommended yoko s-drive. I called up this fellow and asked him get me Yokos instead. He said he will call me back. No calls again.

Finally I had to take my vehicle for servicing and I was determined to get the tyres changed. I called up vinayaka and asked them if they can arrange new yokos for me and they said 'yes' and they don't buy back old tyres. But they said they have no problem if I source the tyres myself. So I called up Mr.X and told I would like to do the change next day as I am giving the vehicle for servicing at Vinayaka. He said he will call me back.

Next day morning also I called him and he said would call back in half-an-hour-etc. By now I was at Vinayaka and the spares fellow told me he can arrange me Yokos. So as a final attempt I call Mr.X and told him about it. That is when he finally said "Sorry, I can not get yokos for you. No stock available". Finally something definite from Mr.X.

So I ask Vinayaka to get them for me and soon yokos arrive. I did not know from where. I check the tyres they are made in Oct/Nov 2007. I said I am looking for newer stock. Then some Yoko sales person calls me up to convince me that this stock is fresh enough to accept. During the conversation he mentions that these tyres are from Mr.X @ Sai Iyengar. I couldn't believe I wasted so much of my time dealing with this two-timing dimwit!

This morning there was a loss of pressure in that same tire and i have resumed my hunt for yokos and searching for some contact info on this forum. and i thought i should mention that my experience with Sai Iyengar has not been great.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:46   #170
Senior - BHPian

Have started my quest for alloys and tyres for my Optra, went to Sai Iyengar in Indiranagar today as I was in the vicinity.

Michelin XMV8 195/60/15 = Rs. 4500/- per tyre
HR alloys H242 hyper silver = Rs. 21500/- for 5 pieces

How does the pricing sound?
Will visit other shops mentioned here one by one before actually buying.
Any new places or deals encountered are welcome.
Cheers,
Hari.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:10   #171
Senior - BHPian

I would say 20k is a good price for the alloys while the tyres are a couple of hundred rupees expensive.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:32   #172
Senior - BHPian

Ishaan whats your take about the Michelin XMV8 in comparo with the S-drives? A close pal is looking at buying tyres and I was thinking of the XMV8.

Hari you are on track. Look around and see which place gives you the best deal, there's no hurry .
Old 9th July 2008, 20:38   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say 20k is a good price for the alloys while the tyres are a couple of hundred rupees expensive.
Ishan Bhai, I'll try and cut down the prices while actually buying, Like I said, I've just started looking, anyway glad to know I'm on the right track, Riju.
Thanks.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:31   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Have started my quest for alloys and tyres for my Optra, went to Sai Iyengar in Indiranagar today as I was in the vicinity.

Michelin XMV8 195/60/15 = Rs. 4500/- per tyre
HR alloys H242 hyper silver = Rs. 21500/- for 5 pieces

How does the pricing sound?
Will visit other shops mentioned here one by one before actually buying.
Any new places or deals encountered are welcome.
Cheers,
Hari.
I bought the same MXV8 tyres from Sai Iyengar Indiranagar. Cost
195/60R15 = Rs. 4500/- per tyre
HR 402 alloys = Rs. 21.5k for 5 pieces (he asked for 22k)
1k for wheel lugs, wheel balancing + alignment free - total 45k
Given that he (and everyone else I tried) quoted 5200 per tyre for 205/55R15 MXV8, it seems ok, or ?

Regards,
Old 10th July 2008, 01:19   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Ishaan whats your take about the Michelin XMV8 in comparo with the S-drives? A close pal is looking at buying tyres and I was thinking of the XMV8.
What's he looking for? If Comfort then he's bang on, if grip then switch to Yoko's.
Old 21st July 2008, 00:44   #176
BHPian

Finally!

Well, it's been over a year since I said that I would be changing my wheels and tyres to something decent. Procrastination and a bunch of other factors (not least of which were finances) kept putting this off until...
YESTERDAY! yup, I finally did it people...after looking at all my different options, reading this forum (a lot) and shopping around (quite a bit, but not as much as some people here have). Before I describe my experience, I'll tell you right here that I settled for Bridgestone Potenza G3s so that my choice of store doesn't seem weird at first.

The place: Shiva Enterprises (Bridgestone Select store).

I quite liked this place the moment I stepped in...of course, they only deal in Bridgestones, but have a decent selection and stock for all vehicles. The proprietor (Mr. S. Venkatesh) was very friendly and quite open to bargaining - he had heard of Team-BHP as well, although I wasn't able to use this factor to more of an advantage. :(
As you can see from earlier posts on this thread, Venkatesh and Anil Grover used to be parners before going their separate ways. I actually called Anil Grover also (by accident actually) and, like everyone says, he had a bit of attitude to spare. Plus I didnt like his price quotes anyway.

The only other place I really checked out was Sai Iyengar on CMH Road since I did have Yokohamas in mind as well. Here I spoke to a Mr. Ashwin. His quotes were also very decent, although I did get a better deal for alloys from Shiva Enterprises.

The tyres: Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs

Okay, before anyone starts flaming me here, let me tell you that the Potenzas were actually number 3 on my original wishlist! I did have Yoko S.Drives at the top of this list, but then discovered that they come only in 15" and above. This would mean quite a big upsize and not to mention, a lot more money spent on bigger rims! I had it clear in my mind that I didn't want to upsize to 195/60/R14, mainly 'cause of the drop in fuel efficiency and light steering. Michelin PP2s were #4 on my list because, even though they might offer mind-blowing performance, I didn't want to compromise THAT much on comfort for performance. Not to mention they were a bit out of my budget
So, Short of looking at other tyre brands (I had narrowed down to these 3), that only left me two good choices in tyres in a 185/60/R14 size: Yoko AVS ES100s and BS Potenza G3s. No points for guessing which may be the better tyre here. Even you lot seem to think the G3s are anyday better than the ES100s. Also, my doubts about the G3s being out of production were gone once I saw that the whole G3 stock is made in 2008 and, if the company is to be believed, only a month old as of July/August 2008.

Good tyre shop in bangalore...-p120708_17.31.jpg
----195/60/R14 vs. 185/60/R14----
Good tyre shop in bangalore...-p120708_17.3102.jpg
----Potenza GIII tread pattern----

Finally, the alloys: League LG-191 Black Machine Finish

Believe it or not, I think I shopped around for alloys more than the tyres themselves! I spent a lot of time reading up on TBHP about Indian vs. Imported rims. I did not like the Aura designs or wheel weight at all (even though they have some nice new designs) and Plati may not be that reliable. This left me, again, with two choices - Indian Neos (really nice designs with a warranty to boot) and Taiwanese Leagues (have a good reputation here and especially on this forum).
I even almost went with Neos, but their dealers themselves (Auto Fusion and Auto Shop in Koramangala) said that Neos were not that great due to a number of reasons. So Leagues it was...
With my Ikon's weird PCD (108!), the choices in League were quite simple...LG-190, 191 or 193 (look them up if you want). 190 didn't look as good in person as it did on the 'Net catalog. The 191s in black machine finish, if I do say so myself, look awesome (at least in my eyes).

The final results can be seen on:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post910079

So, what do you guys think??
I'll be posting a breakdown of the costs of this upgrade soon. Watch this space!
Old 21st July 2008, 00:46   #177
BHPian

jeez that's a long post....hope i didn't bore anyone or break any forum rules!
Old 26th July 2008, 23:17   #178
Senior - BHPian

Went to Hercules tyres today and spoke to Mr. Sarvana, he was busy with customers when I went and requested me to wait for a few minutes, once he was done he gave me his full attention and mention of Riju and TBHP did make a difference.

He did not have Michelin, but he said he could source them out.
He quoted 4350/- per tyre for S-drives having size 205/55/15
I fell in love with the tread and the looks.
Now,
what would be the life of the tyre vis a vis Michelin MXV8?
How much of ride quality would have to be sacrificed again in comparison to MXV8?

At almost 1000/- bucks difference between the two brands, i'm giving serious thought about S-drives.
Suggestions please.
Thanks.
Hari.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:07   #179
BHPian

shiva tyres on new bel road owned by Mr Anil is not the same that it was initially. His tyre stock is a no contest from any other dealer, but attitude sure has changed. His prices too are not low any more
Old 28th July 2008, 12:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

Parvez why dint you give me a buzz man. I would have joined you there, Venkatesh is a good chap to deal with and a good friend of my pal(Mallik).

hari having used the S-drives for about 10k odd now, here is my take.

Soft compound tyres and with all the hard braking and wheels spins I dont expect it to last for more than 30k.
Sane driving and the tyres should last you a couple of thousands more on the odo.The road grip is to die for.

Maybe we could meet up sometime and you take my car for spin. What say ?

prashanth you bet !! Anil Grover's prices are way too high and his attitude towards customers $uck.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th July 2008 at 12:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks