Team-BHP - AT Tyres for the Volvo XC60
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   AT Tyres for the Volvo XC60 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/109464-tyres-volvo-xc60.html)

Hi Guys,

Am a newbie and this is my first post on Team BHP. Hope all your petrol heads will help me out. please:

I have a Volvo XC60 and am in the process of changing all my Tyres.

I wanted to go with AT tires this time with the following specs 235/65 R17. Was looking at the Michelin Latitude Cross.

Have gone through quite a few threads on this topic but could not get a clear answer or consensus on this. Can do with some advice. Thanks in Advance.

Thanks for starting the thread ravinayar, I too would love some information on AT tyres.

On:Also, I would love some data on 15" and 16" options.

Thanks,

Dhanush

ravinayar you might want to follow fellow member lukeskywalker's Dicor owner ship thread. From what I know he was using the Michelin LTX AT2 with his 4x4 Dicor. Else get in touch with him and he should be able to give you 1st hand information on what his take is on these tires.

If its VFM tires then I would say go the Yoko Geolander way. I have posted my review here.

Thanks rjstyles69 for responding. The reason I did not consider the Yoko Geolander was because there was conflicting reviews on its off road performance with complaints about its sidewall strength. I would be more comfortable with either the Michelins or the Pirelli Scorpion AT's.
I also have an option of going in for the Good Year Wrangler. Any reviews on that ?
I will also go through the thread of lukeskywalker

The XC-60 has 17" rims. You wont get any proper AT tyres in that size with the market in such a pathetic situation.

@Ravinayar ---- All the Yokos, Michelins, Pirellis just exist on paper. However, call up a reputed tyre shop in Bombay and ask if they have AT tyres in 17". Someone may have some old stock or parallel import. You might get lucky!

Thanks Nikhilb2008. I am on it. You are absolutely right. Ever since this ISI thing has happened I really have to be lucky. I have been given to believe that things will only be streamlined by January.

To be honest, I am in a soup. I am stranded without my ride as my rear subframe and LHS lower arm have got damaged while off roading and have also caused an uneven wear and tear of the tires needing them to be replaced URGENTLY.

Changing my tires at this point is not out of luxury by absolute necessity. The only AT tires that I have been able to source out with the above specs and which is readily available is the Apollo Hawk, which I am not too keen on.

Will keep trying and would appreciate if any body on the forum could give me some pointers and help me out.

I am in touch with the best in Mumbai, such as Premji (Mahim), Premji Plus (Thane), International Tyre Centre (Opera house) and a whole bunch of others. I hope I get lucky.

I have been using Michelin Latitude Cross 235\70\R16 in the Scorpio since 22K kms now,and i have been satisfied with their performance,be it on highways(read very less noise and excellent grip),or bad roads of himachal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravinayar (Post 2545017)
Thanks rjstyles69 for responding. The reason I did not consider the Yoko Geolander was because there was conflicting reviews on its off road performance with complaints about its sidewall strength. I would be more comfortable with either the Michelins or the Pirelli Scorpion AT's.
I also have an option of going in for the Good Year Wrangler. Any reviews on that ?
I will also go through the thread of lukeskywalker

Hi,

With regards to the Geolander i would like to comment that the side wall strength is a non issue , I have done 2 raid de Himalayas in the xtreme category with a 1.6 baleno engined gypsy with these tyres , and apart from the customary punctures (one right on baralachala pass) have not faced any other issues.They are tough and sturdy tyres.

Thanks wbd8779 for your insight and sharing your experience on the Geolanders. I will keep that in mind and work on that option if my other two options don't work out. Your Yoko credentials are very sound, Two Raids and that too in the extreme category !!! My only apprehension with the Geolander is that after extensively reading on this site as well as checking with my other resources, there have been conflicting reviews on this tyre unlike the overwhelmingly positive reviews on the other three that I am looking at.

Thanks for replying to my post Akshay4587. I am also pretty much convinced about going in for with either the Michelin Latitude cross, the Pirelli Scorpion AT or the Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA as they seems to be the best in terms of quality for my proposed usage of 30 to 35% Off road and 65 to 70% Highway usage, though not the cheapest in the category.

Now the new challenge that has developed is that due to this ISI thing, nobody seems to have any of the above AT tires with my specs. If they have an AT tyre its of a entirely different spec, though a lot of them have HT tires.

Is there any other good and reliable tyre dealer in Mumbai that anybody can recommend.

This is the first time that I have posted on TBHP and am thankful for all your feedbacks and suggestions. I am definitely going to be far more active on this forum.

Thanks wbd8779 for replying to my post. Two raids and that too in the Extreme, your Geolander credentials are impeccable ! I will definitely take up your suggestion in case my first three options dont work out. My only apprehension with the Geolanders is that there has been a lot of conflicting reviews on this tyre both within this forum as well as off it, and I have read extensively before putting up my first post.

Thanks Akshay4587 for reinforcing my belief in the michelin Latitude Cross. My order of preference has been finalized and its Michelin Latitude Cross, Pirelli Scorpion At or the Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA.

Now my challenge is to find these tires due to this ISI issue. I have contacted the three best tyre dealers that I know of and have dealt with in Mumbai, Premji (Mahim), Premji Tyre Plus (Thane) and the international Tyre Centre in Opera House, but now of them have the AT tires with my spec. They all have HT tires.

Would appreciate if any of you have any leads on any other well stocked reliable tires whom I may approach.

Thanks for responding to my post TBHP even though its only been my first post and the first time since I have been a member that I actually wrote into this forum. This has really motivated me and I have resolved to be more active on this forum in the future.

Just to let everybody know the outcome to my search and research, in spite of the current import restrictions as well as the ISI issue, with great difficulty I managed to finally locate two dealers who were able to offer me AT Tyres as per my order of preference, Michelin Latitude cross Or Pirelli Scorpion AT Or Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA . I was unable to get my first choice for Latitude Cross but managed to get two offers for Pirelli Scorpion AT, one from Premji Tyre Plus Thane for Rs. 18,100/- per tyre and the second from International Tyre centre Opera House for Rs. 16,500/-, so I have ordered them with the International Tyre Centre guys (Very reliable and one of the oldest in Mumbai).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 2544074)
Thanks for starting the thread ravinayar, I too would love some information on AT tyres.

On:
  • Best Highway performance (For someone who does 70% Highway and 30% off road)
  • Best Off Road performance (For someone who does 70% Off Road and 30% highway)
  • Best VFM
Also, I would love some data on 15" and 16" options.

Thanks,

Dhanush

If you drive 60% to 70% on highways and do 40% to 30% Off road, the tires that you need are AT (All Terrain) Tyres. The best three are Michelin Latitude Cross, Pirelli Scorpion AT and Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA
And if you do 60% to 70% Off Road and do 40% to 30% Highway, the tires that you need are MT (Mud Terrain) Tyres. Some of the hardcore offroaders on this forum would be more qualified able to give you proper advice on the makes and ratings.

What data do you need on the 15" and 16" options ? the details and the data what you have asked for is the same for 15", 16" and 17". The only difference is that since 17" is not that common its that much more difficult to procure.

Hi Ravi,
I'm also planning on Pirelli scorpion atr 235/65r17 for my xuv, would really appreciate a feedback about them from your side.

Tks
Sanju bedi

Hi,
I am looking for a new set of tyres for our Volvo XC60. Sized : 235/65 R17.

The car sees mostly Highway driving. In the last 40K of the tyres the car has already been from Kanyakumari to Kashmir (no pun intended.) So yes, it has plenty of highway running.

Please let me know what you guys suggest. I looked at Michelin, but they were not available in that size. Please do let me know your recommendations.

The tyres need to be changed in a day or so the car again needs to go out on a 2000 km journey this coming weekend. The car is in Mumbai, so it would be great if you could also recommend the expected price, and any preferred dealers.

Thanks a lot.

I would recommend you try out Pal tyres near Opera house or Premji tyres in Mahim. You can get their details here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai/

Check with them what they have available, and then make a call.