Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 00:20   #2671

Some more pics of my Swift alloy

hope every one will like it
Attached Thumbnails
The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-swift2009.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-swift1.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-swiftalloy.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-lensosamurai.jpg  

Old 21st January 2010, 00:30   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Ikoneer, I mentioned that the cheapest of Chinese imports you see are being sold even today because they proved their mettle on our roads. Even a layman can understand without conducting experiments that HR/ Plati or any other Unknown Chinese brand has been successful in India. When we talk of Quality, we blindly believe OZ/BBS/Lenso to be the best and above HR/Plati/Prestige and conclude without concrete experimented findings. But history suggests that the Worst of Chinese/ Taiwanese imports is fit for our roads, structurally their quality is fit for our roads.

Talking of Alloys finish (Colour), elite brands use the best of materials and I've seen cases where Cheap Chinese imports have shown rust or other signs of inferior finish. This doesn't mean that all Chinese imports are prone to this problem. Majority of BHPians and cars having after-market alloys don't sport BBS/OZ/Konig but still you never come across people mentioning poor finish.

Nikhil, you rightly mentioned that price rules in our market and availability issue. I love the designs which Konig has, but since availability is an issue even in Delhi, we Delhiites have to settle for other brands. Coming to quality, I hope you do agree with me on the fact that no matter what Quality Control these Chinese/ Taiwanese alloys have, they've been successful in proving their structural ability on Indian roads, and largely gain points on grounds of Alloy finishing. The strength of alloys from BBS/OZ/Konig maybe more as compared to HR/Plati and other Chinese/Taiwanese stuff but the latter does prove to be worthy of enduring our roads. It's like buying glass for a table, we require the sufficient thickness to endure the weight, we do have Bullet proof glasses, but when the former is able to satisfy our purpose then why spend much on the latter, taking price into concern and other factors constant.

In the end Ikoneer just relax, you're not the only one having such alloys, there are 'n' number of cars with such alloys and they're doing fine. You'll have problems in case you plan to use this car for Monster truck type activities..

Moreover, another brand "Veloche" known for Lenso designs is a perfect example of Vid's and Nikhil's view on one plant producing different brands. Check the following website:
TWG | The Wheel Group
tsk13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2010, 00:45   #2673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post

ok Now what, How safe and reliable it is, i hope it will not crack/break at good speeds. Now this is my major concern.

well, I am quite upset, let me think and write my thoughts tomorrow.
Now Nothing ikoneer. Just sit back drive and enjoy your new tyres and alloys and enjoy the looks you get on a very nice looking i10.

The sticker is not important. Like I mentioned earlier almost all alloys in Taiwan/China come from the same factories with different stickers. If you ever go to Taiwan, you will see that there none of these brands are available. The sticker is placed there only for India as in India we are now aware of HR, plati, prestige league. They just brand it and ship it here. All are the same.

I had gone to a few accessory shops in Taiwan and did not find any of these brands there including HR or Lenso.

From what I learnt when I was there was that almost all alloy wheels made in Taiwan are exported out worldwide. Taiwan is one of the largest makers of alloy wheels. After that is China.
Old 21st January 2010, 01:02   #2674
Senior - BHPian

^ Even I was worried for a couple of days after I put my rims, but I've gotten over it by now. Frankly, as these guys suggest, anything made out of Taiwan must be pretty much the same. All I do, is what I do with all my cars i.e. tread carefully over bad roads and if possible, avoid them if a better surface is available (with due time considerations, of course). Helps your suspension too.
Old 21st January 2010, 01:17   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Vid, HR and Lenso are available outside India too. I mean I came across these websites:
Selling HR in UK:
HijoinUK - Top Gear UK Exclusive (Powered by CubeCart)

Alloy Wheels And Car Tyres Packages - Topgear Alloy Wheels has Lenso, HR, League, SSW
Old 21st January 2010, 08:10   #2676
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Vid, HR and Lenso are available outside India too. I mean I came across these websites:
Selling HR in UK:
HijoinUK - Top Gear UK Exclusive (Powered by CubeCart)

Alloy Wheels And Car Tyres Packages - Topgear Alloy Wheels has Lenso, HR, League, SSW
Yup in other countries but in my 2 trips to Taiwan, I never saw them in Taiwan, maybe just a couple.

In Taiwan it's always alloys with chinese written names on it. You never know might be written HR or Lenso in chinese which I can't read.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:02   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
In the end Ikoneer just relax, you're not the only one having such alloys, there are 'n' number of cars with such alloys and they're doing fine.
yes, let me take my mind off these and enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Now Nothing ikoneer. Just sit back drive and enjoy your new tyres and alloys and enjoy the looks you get on a very nice looking i10.
Sure will do. The alloys are getting me more compliments for sure, yesterday night my neighbour said he like the alloys very much. Quite a 'neighbours envy'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
All I do, is what I do with all my cars i.e. tread carefully over bad roads and if possible, avoid them if a better surface is available Helps your suspension too.
yep, that's the thumb rule. Helps our back and back pocket as well.

Thanks guys.

One questions is: will the steering be a bit heavier with the upsize. I just drove a few km's with the stock wheels and not sure how it was with the stock wheels. I find it a bit heavier.
I was driving a NHC earlier and the steering was butter smooth in it and i10 feels a bit heavier. maybe it needs some more time to settle in.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:06   #2678
Distinguished - BHPian

Ikoneer, dont worry about it!

When I say the quality of Chinese/Taiwanese alloys is low, what I'm referring to is the paint finish, the strength of the rim. I've seen many many Plati/Hr/League rims which are bent. Yes. Alloy wheels are bent due to which the owner has wobbling problems which cannot be solved.

I'm sorry TSK13, but they do not survive Indian roads the way you say. Just because it doesnt break into pieces doesnt mean it is fit for Indian roads.

In a way, my standards may be too high because we dealt with Aura for almost 10 years. I've not seen a single Aura alloy which was bent. A couple of them were in big accidents and even then apart from the paint, there was no major damage. Maybe some of them were cracked after a high speed impact, but they were too few to count.

Ikoneer, at the end of the day, the alloys will be stronger than the tyres. I assume you have got some imported rubber like Michelin/Yoko. You will have to drive with a certain amount of care anyway. Your alloys will be fine. Dont worry.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:06   #2679
Team-BHP Support

Yes the steering will be heavier. You are putting on wider tyres which have more grip so friction increases as more rubber is in contact with the road. As a result steering will be marginally heavier. It will also have a very negligible impact on mileage.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:08   #2680
BHPian

@ Ikoneer

DO NOT BE WORRIED about the Alloys, I used to have Plati Alloys on my Hyundai Accent shod on Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra's. (195 / 50 R15)

I did all sorts of things with those alloys, used them for over 50,000 KM over almost all sorts of terrain where the accent could go, they served me without a fuss.

I had two accidents which directly involved the wheels & surprisingly only on one occasion did the balancing went kaput.

I'd recommend that you shouldn't worry and use them without any fear.

Will Try and get better pictures asap.
Attached Thumbnails
The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-photo0637.jpg  

Old 21st January 2010, 13:12   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Ikoneer, at the end of the day, the alloys will be stronger than the tyres. I assume you have got some imported rubber like Michelin/Yoko. You will have to drive with a certain amount of care anyway. Your alloys will be fine. Dont worry.
Thanks Nikhil. I have got the Yokohama 175x60xr14 A538 tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yes the steering will be heavier. You are putting on wider tyres which have more grip so friction increases as more rubber is in contact with the road. As a result steering will be marginally heavier. It will also have a very negligible impact on mileage.
Thanks for the clarification Vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Thanks Maglev.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:12   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Nice combo there. I too have the same on my Swift. How much did it cost you ?

But I'm suprised to see the Lenso Samurais with just 4 holes. Are they some new design ? Because the ones I bought last year were multi-PCD alloys.
Old 21st January 2010, 16:27   #2683
BHPian

Hi,

Just yesterday I have changed wheels on my NEW ANHC to Alloy wheels from Honda itself..

They didn't buyback the older Stock Rims+Caps, I don't have any use of them.

Can anyone suggest me where I can sell if off in Bangalore.
Old 21st January 2010, 16:46   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Vid, how were the patterns in Taiwan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post

I hope you don't recommend to make an i10 climb Nelson Mandela Hills in Vasant Kunj without fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Ikoneer, dont worry about it!

When I say the quality of Chinese/Taiwanese alloys is low, what I'm referring to is the paint finish, the strength of the rim. I've seen many many Plati/Hr/League rims which are bent. Yes. Alloy wheels are bent due to which the owner has wobbling problems which cannot be solved.

I'm sorry TSK13, but they do not survive Indian roads the way you say. Just because it doesnt break into pieces doesnt mean it is fit for Indian roads.

In a way, my standards may be too high because we dealt with Aura for almost 10 years. I've not seen a single Aura alloy which was bent. A couple of them were in big accidents and even then apart from the paint, there was no major damage. Maybe some of them were cracked after a high speed impact, but they were too few to count.

Maybe I never came across the flaws you did, I have this opinion. Moreover, it's end of an era with Aura closing down. Their designs were never impressive to me but their quality was considering they were OE suppliers to Maruti and Fiat and further your example.
Old 21st January 2010, 17:05   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi,

Just yesterday I have changed wheels on my NEW ANHC to Alloy wheels from Honda itself..

They didn't buyback the older Stock Rims+Caps, I don't have any use of them.

Can anyone suggest me where I can sell if off in Bangalore.
You'll hardly get anything for the stock rims/caps. Instead keep them at your place as backup.

Most Viewed