Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 11:54   #2746
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre'Gurus',

Correct me if I am being too simplistic, but my understanding of the 2 factors at play here are as follows:

1. Where do the tyres touch?
2. What is the offset of the aftermarket rim vis-a-vis OEM wheels/alloys?

My understanding is that:

Rims with significantly higher positive offset will touch the inside of the wheelwell (mudguards/plastic cover/metal body) on full lock even without full load. This is because the new setup is closer to the vehicle body than OEM.

However, rims with significantly higher negative offset will touch the inside top of the wheelwell and fender only on full load. This is because in thye new setup, the tyre is now 'sticking out' and on speedbreakers tends to scrape the wheel arches/fender of the vehicle.

Does this make sense? This explains why only some TBHPians complain of the same size giving them issues. It must be down to the offset of their aftermarket rims.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:12   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
it would be either of the pic 1 or 2..
I like Pic 2 alloys better. Again, it depends on color of the car.
Old 7th February 2010, 13:38   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi VTEC,

Well, the information about the 205/55/R15 that it would touch the body on full load is absolutely untrue. I can say this with full confidence as I myself am using that size currently on my Swift since the past 8 months & have absolutely no issue wat-so-ever. I was planning to change my 5 spoke OZs to a multi-spoke design as they look much better on a Swift but heard its hard to clean hence wanted your feedback.
Oh cool! That's good to know that 205s are compatible with the swift. Anyway, the day that I went to upgrade they were not even available :(

It is difficult to clean, but a good soft brush would do the trick. use a baby brush or soft bristles brush.

It sure is time consuming to clean, but its all worth the pain. the 5 spoke alloys are very common. If you get a peculiar design go for it.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:00   #2749
superveloce

New rubber for my SWIFT

Here are the new wheels and tires i have gotten for my baby.

Alloys: LENSO 15" LIGHT S2 WHITE
Tires: BRIDGESTONE POTENZA GIII 195/60/R15 88H

All work done at Saifees Santacruz

Oh and i got 8grand buyback for my OE Vectras and alloys which where run 30,000kms.

These are pics taken from my camera. Will post better ones later.
Attached Thumbnails
The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-e71_image_686.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-e71_image_628.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-e71_image_627.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-e71_image_637.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-e71_image_687.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 18:21   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Tyre'Gurus',

Correct me if I am being too simplistic, but my understanding of the 2 factors at play here are as follows:

1. Where do the tyres touch?
2. What is the offset of the aftermarket rim vis-a-vis OEM wheels/alloys?

My understanding is that:

Rims with significantly higher positive offset will touch the inside of the wheelwell (mudguards/plastic cover/metal body) on full lock even without full load. This is because the new setup is closer to the vehicle body than OEM.

However, rims with significantly higher negative offset will touch the inside top of the wheelwell and fender only on full load. This is because in thye new setup, the tyre is now 'sticking out' and on speedbreakers tends to scrape the wheel arches/fender of the vehicle.

Does this make sense? This explains why only some TBHPians complain of the same size giving them issues. It must be down to the offset of their aftermarket rims.
Hi,

I am very glad you have bothered to ask this question & just like you, I am also confused & concerned about the same. I hence opened a seperate thread regarding 'Offsets'. I am not totally convinced with the replies there but probably you can try your luck. Here's the link to the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ious-cars.html
Old 8th February 2010, 20:08   #2751
superveloce

Better pics

These were taken during the upgrade.

Before and after pictures after the upsize.
Also some pictures of the brand new rubber and the sparkling alloys out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-18658_280886434527_826814527_3218821_4283480_n.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-18658_280886454527_826814527_3218823_1950456_n.jpg  

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-18658_280886484527_826814527_3218825_3751209_n.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 9th February 2010, 12:13   #2752
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good taste, Superveloce. I love the white Swift + white alloy look. Swift is one of the few cars that can carry it off.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:25   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good taste, Superveloce. I love the white Swift + white alloy look. Swift is one of the few cars that can carry it off.
+1 to that

Superviolence, your swift looks neat!
Old 9th February 2010, 14:08   #2754
Team-BHP Support

here are the new rims on my accord.

rims are 17x7 enkei sc12
tyres are 225/50 r17 yokohama advan sport y rated
Attached Thumbnails
The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!-dsc_0859copy.jpg  

Old 9th February 2010, 14:25   #2755
BHPian

Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
These were taken during the upgrade.

Before and after pictures after the upsize.
Also some pictures of the brand new rubber and the sparkling alloys out of the box.

hey dude I was very much present at saifee when you were in the process of upgrading your new set of wheels. Remember I asked you about the up-size ? I was in to select wheels for my new laura. Trust me they look great in person .Congrats mate
Old 9th February 2010, 14:55   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
here are the new rims on my accord.

rims are 17x7 enkei sc12
tyres are 225/50 r17 yokohama advan sport y rated
These look hot! Nice choice of rims akshay!

If you don't mind, can you please tell us how much hey cost you?

Hot car with hot rims!
Old 9th February 2010, 15:18   #2757
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey GTO thanks a lot. I was on the look out for white rims since a long time. Vitamin M was the key issue. Finally i took the plunge, inspite of a lot of people being sceptacle, how it would turn out, but i am receiving praise ever since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
+1 to that

Superviolence, your swift looks neat!
Hey thanks goblin. appreciate it. But i must mention, that keeping them cleaning and sparkling is a lot of work.
But after every wash, they look like its all worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
hey dude I was very much present at saifee when you were in the process of upgrading your new set of wheels. Remember I asked you about the up-size ? I was in to select wheels for my new laura. Trust me they look great in person .Congrats mate
Hey hvishwanathan, sorry to inform you buddy, but after planning the upsize, zeroing in on the rims, making arrangements for the tires and ordering and paying, negotiating the buyback et al. Sadly i was forced to go out of town the very evening that the vehicle went for the upsize.
My brother and my dear friend Anant of N1 Racing had taken my vehicle for the job.
In all probability you spoke to anant, whose quite the person to know about everything wheels.

And thanks alot for the compliments. And congrats right back at you for getting hold of the two czech beasts.

If you are looking at remapping your laura, i think you should talk to him about superchips. Just google N1 racing. Cheers!

Old 9th February 2010, 22:41   #2758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
These look hot! Nice choice of rims akshay!

If you don't mind, can you please tell us how much hey cost you?

Hot car with hot rims!
rims cost 30k and the tyres 40k. bought 4 not 5.
Old 10th February 2010, 00:00   #2759
BHPian

@superveloce. white on white rocks ! Have white on mine too.
@Askhay. Your accord looks neat.
Old 10th February 2010, 01:41   #2760
aZa
Senior - BHPian

White on White looks awesome! Even i have the same White on white combination with different rims

Akshay killer rims moar pics

Most Viewed