Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2006, 23:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Alloys of Indian Cars

Alloy Wheels can make a car look a million bucks richer. But in India i cant figure out why manufacturers tend to give such stupid looking alloys.

For example All Skoda Alloys look so sick IMHO. They dont give you a good look. The RS alloys are still ok but the TDis and the Laura alloys look same and disgusting. It was a long time back when the L n K was about to be launched in India i got all excited. I saw the pic of a L n K it had supermettalic paint and wider rubber on chrome alloys which looked beautiful but however when it reached India it all got stripped. On top of all this Skoda alloys from dealer cost a bomb itself. Sad but true. The old Baleno alloys werenot good either and the New Corolla are pathetic. Swift Alloys and Getz Alloys look cheap. Why cant manfacturers give us good looking alloys.

There are some manufacturers who do give us so good looking ones that I would never like to change them. Apt example would be the OHC Vtec and the Palio 1.6 both of which have such good looking alloys which suit the car alot.

What are your views on this and which Cars alloys you think need to visit the tyre dealer and which ones you admire.
Old 6th March 2006, 00:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

I love the OE alloys on the Accord and the NHC. And yes, OE alloys are damn over priced. Actually u could get 2 sets of alloys for that price
Old 6th March 2006, 00:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Accord 2.4 Alloys look good but the 3.0L and CRV which both look same, look horid to me.The NHC alloys are same as the OHC Vtec? Fiesta Alloys are yuk.

BTW the New Merc 280 Alloys look excellent. 10/10 to Merc for that. The old ones looked a tad sad.
Old 6th March 2006, 01:53   #4
BHPian

I like the NHC VTEC alloys better than the OHC VTEC alloys..the newer 5-spoke design looks much better.
OE alloys are very expensive..I asked my Honda dealer for price of the 5-spoke alloys for my NHC CVT,and he said Rs8200 per alloy !..(single alloy !!! ).
So,if I buy a set of 5,it'll come to Rs41,000 !..!
I went to my wheel/tire guy,and got a nice 1 year warranty Brand New Neowheels CHROME 5-spoke alloy wheels set,which came to Rs19,000 !!!
So,I get Chrome alloys for less than 1/2 the price of OE non-chrome !..plus,more options when you buy alloys from tire/alloy dealers.

-sr
Old 6th March 2006, 08:01   #5
BHPian

Basically i dont like almost all the orginal alloys. The OE ones are way tooooooo expensive. Gettin them outside is a cheaper and wiser option
Another car with yuk alloys IMO is the innova
Old 6th March 2006, 10:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

How could i forget the present C class it alloys are simply superb. They suit the car alot and are amazing looking. Toyota doesnot give good alloys for they only know why?
Old 6th March 2006, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why OE alloys are SO overpriced. I'd rather spend a little more and get some OZ or BBS alloys which even have killer looks and are among the best available
Old 6th March 2006, 11:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Wonder why OE alloys are SO overpriced. I'd rather spend a little more and get some OZ or BBS alloys which even have killer looks and are among the best available

THe skoda vRS allows are made in germany and that could be the reason .....
Old 6th March 2006, 18:16   #9
BHPian

CAn we install 17 inches alloys onto swift .Will there be any problem if we do so,can 5 people still sit comfortably without any part of the body being in contact with the wheels.

If we cannot what is the maximum size that can be put onto swift
Old 7th March 2006, 21:48   #10
BHPian

great stuff

I have all 5 wheels 7 spoke Mag alloys on my Victa Gx TC. Cost me 26K for the lot. It does make a difference in the drive quality and the looks are great but above all the cleaning becomes so much easier. In Bangalore the Roads are so bad that attimes the hub cover just flies off the wheel. I have also seen the Qualis's having some sort of a Plastic tags to prevent them from coming off. Initially, I thought that they were put for anti-theft purpose, but then one could just cut it off and flick them.

On the whole, I feel that they are real value for money just like the V-Kool film.

So long ....
Old 7th March 2006, 22:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinadha
CAn we install 17 inches alloys onto swift .Will there be any problem if we do so,can 5 people still sit comfortably without any part of the body being in contact with the wheels.
If we cannot what is the maximum size that can be put onto swift
Check this...... it's an indian Swift with 17" wheels, Very sweet ride!, HR reg.......

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277199

You can mail him or something to check if he's facing any issues!!
Old 7th March 2006, 22:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

17 inchers on a swift is a NO-NO!!

16 inchers (195 or 205)if u're very desperate and 15 inchers with 195/60 (like ajmat) is optimum for ride/handling/bling.

If it were me, i'd go for the 15"s. This is India for God's sake!!
Old 7th March 2006, 22:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

17"ers on a Swift will look damn hot, but set aside a sum of money to replace the alloys n tyres n the suspension from time 2 time cuz of the excellent roads in India
Old 27th March 2006, 15:44   #14
Exo
BHPian

The radiues of a circle is @piXradius so if you increase the wheel diametre your going to need ~1.6 times more proportionate torquie to keep things the same...

That said though there's starlets arouned here going around 16"'s and they seem to be doing acceptably.
Old 27th March 2006, 18:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Palio S10 alloys look great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks