Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 22:14   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

I got a call from MRF. They will send me some details tomorrow. Will post when I can.
Old 29th November 2011, 22:35   #62
Team-BHP Support

Perfect pics schoudhury. The problem we are discussing is the left tyres on your car. The tread pattern will force water to be pushed towards the centre of the tyre i.e. towards the continuous rib. While turning right on a wet road we feel that grip will be lesser than when turning left.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 22:53   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Vid, you forget that the force of the car pushing down will actually force water to find an easy escape route. So, even though the direction of the tread implies that it is being pushed towards the centre of the tread, in a real world scenario, it will not happen. There is an immense force on the water which is trapped below the contact patch. This will force water away from the car.
Old 30th November 2011, 07:14   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Vid, you forget that the force of the car pushing down will actually force water to find an easy escape route. So, even though the direction of the tread implies that it is being pushed towards the centre of the tread, in a real world scenario, it will not happen. There is an immense force on the water which is trapped below the contact patch. This will force water away from the car.
Very true Nikhil but in a real world situation there will be a differential in available grip in the wet at higher speeds with the same set of tires mounted on either side of the car and that is dangerous. Every little bit of grip counts in the wet. It would be like mixing different brands of tires. Grip from these tires in the dry would be very similar but in the wet it will be slightly different which will not be noticed by the average person but will be felt by the ones who take it to the limit in the rain and all too suddenly to their peril if I may add.
Purely ribbed motorcycle tires are there and they too push the water forward and outward but the rider knows the tire's limits. Here the problem is the differential when taking a right turn in the wet in the pictured red car or when the left side of the car is driven through standing water. Owners of these tires need to be aware of the issue.
drpullockaran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 21:44   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I got a call from MRF. They will send me some details tomorrow. Will post when I can.
Awaiting for some news about the zlo. Have the MRF guys brushed it under the carpet.
Old 4th December 2011, 21:46   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont accuse them without knowing the facts! The simple fact that I got a call and an explanation from their technical head proves that they are NOT brushing this under the carpet.

I agree, the delay is annoying but accusing them of this is not acceptable!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 22:01   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I got a call and an explanation from their technical head.
Please share with us the explanation provided to you by the technical head. I am planning to buy them in the near future if safety concerns are addressed.
Old 4th December 2011, 23:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Vid, you forget that the force of the car pushing down will actually force water to find an easy escape route.
Yes, until the point that the surface tension of the water below the tyre exceeds the rolling friction of the tyre+car. Car will aquaplane at some point. What will be interesting to know is the behaviour till that point.

What worries me is that in wet weather there may be a steering issue because of differing grip levels between left and right front wheels.

Eagerly waiting for the explanation from the MRF engineers.
Old 5th December 2011, 00:44   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Please share with us the explanation provided to you by the technical head. I am planning to buy them in the near future if safety concerns are addressed.
Yes sir! Definitely! I havent been given the go-ahead yet but will speak to him tomorrow and get back to you asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Yes, until the point that the surface tension of the water below the tyre exceeds the rolling friction of the tyre+car. Car will aquaplane at some point. What will be interesting to know is the behaviour till that point.

What worries me is that in wet weather there may be a steering issue because of differing grip levels between left and right front wheels.

Eagerly waiting for the explanation from the MRF engineers.
I agree but there must have been some reason for the engineers to do this!

PS: Are you ex-sangram from TE? The Audio DIY guru?
Old 5th December 2011, 02:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a stupid Q !

How do other asymmetric tyres overcome this issue? Say the PP2, although it does not strictly have the 'half-V' shaped inner tread like the ZLO.

PP2
MRF ZLO Performance Tyres-michelin-pp2.jpg

PS3
Name:  Michelin PS3.png
Views: 2873
Size:  19.7 KB
Old 5th December 2011, 12:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Not a guru by any means Still got miles to learn.

But yes, my name is Sangram, from TE. My nick has changed at that forum too.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 15:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir! Definitely! I havent been given the go-ahead yet but will speak to him tomorrow and get back to you asap!

I agree but there must have been some reason for the engineers to do this!

Nikhil .
I have already bought these tyres from your shop and till now im happy with them .

But, back of my mind and i m kinda concerned now , if these tyres might not be good in wet conditions, or if there is any precaution that i need to take while driving .

Please keep us posted as soon as you get some update from the MRF guys.

Cheers.
Old 5th December 2011, 15:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Maybe a stupid Q !

How do other asymmetric tyres overcome this issue? Say the PP2, although it does not strictly have the 'half-V' shaped inner tread like the ZLO.

PP2
In my personal experience, PP2 did aquaplane quite a bit. I guess this is an issue with all asymmetric tyres.
Old 5th December 2011, 18:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Maybe a stupid Q !

PP2
Attachment 852082

PS3
Attachment 852083
I am on the learning curve so take this info with a lot of salt.

All other things being equal; tires that have a channel for water to evacuate from the center to the outside of the tire will aquaplane less than pure ribbed tires. The PP2 has deep treads when new but no channel for water to flow away from the center of the tire. In pure ribbed tires like the dry tires of formula1; will aquaplane faster than ribbed tires with water channels to the outside like the Formula1 wet weather tires. The dangerous part is when the right side tire is pure ribbed and the left side tire that has ribs and varying pitch lateral channels. The grip levels will vary on either side. Its more dangerous to have tires that have differing levels of grip than pure ribbed tires. So in a nutshell its better to have the Michelin PP2 than have asymmetric tires that offer differing grip levels in which direction the tire is rotating. Asymmetric tires should have right and left side unidirectional tires or have bidirectional tread.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 5th December 2011 at 18:33.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
that offer differing grip levels in which direction the tire is rotating.
It should read "that offer differing grip levels depending on which direction the tire is rotating". The word depending in/on was missing in my previous post which made the sentence quirky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks