Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 15:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Just replaced two rear tyres of my Versa with MRF Z.Lo 195 60 r14
Very soft compound and really enhances the ride quality, I think this tyre is equivalent to XM1+ and really softer tyres. It has really done wonders to the handling also, is very sure footed now. Can't really compare with Advan Neovas, Contact sport etc since my only previous exposure is to stock Goodyears and Michelin stock tyres.

@Dr. Pullockaran, these tyres come with stickers to indicate which side is outside. So MRF acknowledges that it is unidirectional.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 15:57   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Here we go again! :P
Old 6th December 2011, 18:27   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
@Dr. Pullockaran, these tyres come with stickers to indicate which side is outside. So MRF acknowledges that it is unidirectional.
Being unidirectional of an extreme nature and at the same time being asymmetric is the crux of the problem. read from the start of this thread to get various view points.
Old 6th December 2011, 19:10   #79
BHPian

i am also eagerly waiting for the update on this. i am also due for a tire change and almost made my mind on mrf after seeing it on Schoudhurys ritz. will wait for the update from nikhil on this.
rds,
arun
Old 6th December 2011, 20:09   #80
Senior - BHPian

here are few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
MRF ZLO Performance Tyres-img00298201112061545.jpg  

MRF ZLO Performance Tyres-img00299201112061546.jpg  

MRF ZLO Performance Tyres-img00300201112061547.jpg  

lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 22:20   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the reply I got from a person from MRF. He is quite high up in the organisation and he has been testing the tyres on his own vehicle for a couple of years. I remember meeting him almost 2 years back and he told me he was testing a brand new tyre from MRF which would be completely performance oriented.

Quote:
Dear Nikhil,

Thank you for your message.Apologies for not replying earlier as I was travelling.
Asymmetric patterns are very common in Europe and rest of the world, the MRF Z.L.O. pattern is a typical asymmetric pattern.

The main advantage of an asymmetric pattern is that the outer rib with the stiff elements is for hard cornering and more void in the inner side of the tyre is for better water channelling.

The bulk of the water channelling happens in the see- through primary grooves (different from a directional pattern where the water channelling happens through the curvilinear groove).

MRF Z.L.O. tyres have been evaluatedextensively in all conditions by experts and also driven by normal users under in all conditions in various parts of India. We have had no concerns re: the observations made in the various posts.

As a customer responsive organisation we appreciate the comments made by the Team BHPians.

Regards
Senior General Manager-Product Passenger
If you have further queries, please post it here. I'm sure the concerned person at MRF will see it himself or I will email it to him.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 18:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If you have further queries, please post it here. I'm sure the concerned person at MRF will see it himself or I will email it to him.
So MRF does agree that it is the voids in the inner side and the see through primary grooves that helps in bulk of the water egress from the contact patch and not the directional pattern in this unidirectional tire. A bit of a mystery there as unidirectional/asymmetric patterns are conceived for improved cornering, and hard braking in the wet. For dry weather slicks are best other factors being the same. The best would be bald tires or slicks for the best cornering ability in the dry but thats impractical for year round use.
Please Google for advantages of asymmetric patterns over normal ribbed tires in hard cornering in the wet/dry. For hard cornering in the dry four or five wide ribs is any day better than a single rib on the outside of the tire which is why formula 1 have an all ribbed pattern for dry weather. I heard Formula 1 is planning to mandate single tread pattern for year round use in the wet and dry; will be interesting to see the pattern they use.
Formula 1
NO offense to any one but I would not buy ZLO tires for the purpose these tires were made in the first place and that is superior wet weather performance. For dry weather these tires should be exemplary but then there are better tires out in the market for dry weather.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 10th December 2011 at 18:24.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 18:26   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikhil, how do these tires compare with the c drives in grip and performance?
Old 10th December 2011, 18:56   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Nikhil, how do these tires compare with the c drives in grip and performance?
Well, I havent compared back to back but I think these should be equal to the C drives.
Old 13th December 2011, 17:26   #85
BHPian

Guys a quick question:
I am planning to upgrade to this tyre for my Swift ZDi. The question is whether I should be upgrading the spare as well? Cost is not a concern. The concern is:

1. Since these are asymmetrical tyres, which one should I buy for a spare
2. If I retain the original [185/ 65 R15] would it run OK with it if I am running the spare for some reason. Would it have an adverse affect on any other aspects?
3. Would the new tyre [195/ 60 R15] fit in the wheel well?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th December 2011, 21:05   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
The question is whether I should be upgrading the spare as well?Thanks in advance.
Yes you should.

In the event you do not and use the tire which is not of the exact same circumference on the driven wheels you will have a worn out differential in due course of time. I am assuming you do know the variance in grip levels of using tires of different brand or size and chemical composition.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 22:38   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran

Yes you should.

In the event you do not and use the tire which is not of the exact same circumference on the driven wheels you will have a worn out differential in due course of time. I am assuming you do know the variance in grip levels of using tires of different brand or size and chemical composition.
I have an idea about the variance in grip levels hence the query.
I am more confused about the 1st concern that I have. Whether it fits in the wheel well or not can be checked at the time fitting.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:22   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
I have an idea about the variance in grip levels hence the query.
I am more confused about the 1st concern that I have. Whether it fits in the wheel well or not can be checked at the time fitting.

Yes it will fit perfectly.No need to worry.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 10:52   #89
BHPian

Do any of the international brands manufacture tires with similar design specs? ie unidirectional and asymmetric and same tyre meant for use on both sides . It would be interesting to compare the primary groove for water channeling if its justifiable that the side grooves are not critical.

If no one else has come out with such a product, I'd avoid choosing these tires myself and its purely personal reasoning.
Old 14th December 2011, 11:03   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes it will fit perfectly.No need to worry.
Thanks Sagar. I can now plan accordingly.
If only someone can guide me on which tire to buy as spare as I read in this thread that there is a difference between the tires w.r.t. the sides on which they should be mounted. I am really

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks