Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 22:34   #106
BHPian

Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post

I told my cousin to go ahead with the ZLOs.
Would you mind sharing the price, please.

I dropped in at mrf yesterday and they quoted 4k a pop for 185/60-r14 for my baleno! I love the AD07's on my car and would love to stick to them but i dont have much of a choice!

Cheers!
james is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 22:12   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Would you mind sharing the price, please.

I dropped in at mrf yesterday and they quoted 4k a pop for 185/60-r14 for my baleno! I love the AD07's on my car and would love to stick to them but i dont have much of a choice!

Cheers!
Hi James,

Got them for Rs 3800/tyre. But I am not sure if the size 185/60 R14 is present in the ZLO lineup.

Last edited by srinath34 : 9th January 2012 at 22:14.
Old 10th January 2012, 10:03   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Hi James,

Got them for Rs 3800/tyre. But I am not sure if the size 185/60 R14 is present in the ZLO lineup.
Thanks, Srinath! I stand corrected. I was refering to 195/60 r14.

Cheers!
Old 13th January 2012, 13:23   #109

I am looking for a comfortable tyre due to the hopeless condition of Bangalore roads; I was considering Primacy LC until I read this thread. Any users of ZLO please comment on how comfortable these are, compared to say Primacy LC which seems to be the most comfort-oriented option out there. Also the wear life should be similar on both these tyres? Pricing wise its around 1000 Rs per tyre cheaper for the MRF. Any comment on sidewall strength are also welcome as I've seen quite a few complaints with regard to bulges due to thin sidewall on Primacy LC.

Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 15:02   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

What size are you looking at? Primacy LC and ZLO overlap in only one size: 195/60-15.
Old 14th January 2012, 22:57   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
What size are you looking at? Primacy LC and ZLO overlap in only one size: 195/60-15.
Yes thats the one. For a Manza. OEM B250 Bridgestones 185's have gone bald at 53000 Kms and badly need replacement but they are too hard, looking for the most comfortable tyres.
krisfpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 17:02   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Both are good but I would suggest the ZLO considering the price. Dont think the PLC is worth such a huge premium.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 04:29   #113
BHPian

Hey, I read the reviews on this and went for
The MRF ZLO for my leina (d)
3 yrs - 40,000km

Was really confused for the longest time if I should go for three Good
Year GT3, as my spare tyre was never braught into play.

It would cost be 13.2 K for that vs. 18.2 k for these MRF's

But considered 3 yr old rubber although in good
Tread condition - still may not be safest option.
Besides I always felt the GYears were a bit noisy.

I went with 4 of the ZLO's.

Just had them installed and plan a long drive over the week on work.
Initial Impressions - really soft compound. Much lower tyre noise.

They - MRF ZLO - cost me INR 4600 X 4 incl of balancing and alignment . (pd 380 for any weights)

Good year were offerd to me at 4300. - purchased from
ashirwad tyres in Mumbai ( Dadar E)

The shop at prabhadevi right next to premji tyres -MRF ZLO @ 5500 - Rip off !
mazherr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 21:09   #114
Senior - BHPian

I am so glad to read that MRF is getting a thumbs up from fellow BHPians.I am happy that a Indian co has manged to more or less match standards by phoren manafacturers.

I wish these tyres had come out earlier when i was in the market to buy tyres for my Civic but i understand they are not available for the Civic are they (205/65/R15) ?
Old 31st January 2012, 22:46   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am so glad to read that MRF is getting a thumbs up from fellow BHPians.I am happy that a Indian co has manged to more or less match standards by phoren manafacturers.

I wish these tyres had come out earlier when i was in the market to buy tyres for my Civic but i understand they are not available for the Civic are they (205/65/R15) ?
Nope. Not available in that size as of now. I'm hoping they come out with more sizes soon.
Old 1st February 2012, 01:01   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I was given a quote of 4.4K for 195/60/15 ZLO. Does that sound ok?
Old 1st February 2012, 09:37   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I was given a quote of 4.4K for 195/60/15 ZLO. Does that sound ok?
Oh yes. That's cheaper than we have in Bangalore.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:03   #118
Senior - BHPian

It is great news that MRF has a thumbs up from members after having actually used them long enough. I wonder why the 205/55/15 has not hit the market yet, guess it will sometime in the future.

As of now both my cars are running this size in Yoko S-Drive (Swift & Vento)

Do kindly keep this thread updated.

Cheers
Old 8th February 2012, 12:32   #119

My first post on Teambhp and I did not expect it to be on Tyres! I have been on the lookout for new tyres ever since the JK Vectras [165/80/14] on my 2008 Swift Vxi gave me my first puncture @32000 km. Two punctures later – I said enough is enough and decided to change up (@35000km). Following is an update of my research, buying experience and usage.

Tyre Maintenance and Vectras

I am rather careful about how my car (and its tyres) are maintained. I check the tyre pressure every time I fill fuel (once a week) and ensure that I get my wheel alignment and wheel balancing done every time I service my car (every 5000km). I think that it was largely on account of this careful maintenance that I have not been bothered by constant punctures or any other maintenance related issues.

Until about 32,000 km – the stock JK Vectras on the Swift did not give me any problems – but the lack of grip, squealing upon acceleration, cornering and braking and the hard ride always bothered me. However, since the tyres were 165’s – maneuvering the car in Mumbai traffic was a breeze.
But ever since the first puncture (no incident – just a flat tyre one fine morning) – I started looking for new tyres.

Research

I started my research at the place every gear-head in India goes to do his research – Teambhp (incidentally - every single search string I punched into Google regarding tyre upgrades in India led me to Teambhp).
I read the observations that members had of MRF, Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Bridgestone – while most observations were positive – on one point the opinion was unanimous – the stock JK Vectras were in serious need of an upgrade.

I was veering toward Michelin – but when I went back to my hometown in Kerala our driver (who has around 20 lakh km worth of experience) was very bullish about MRF. In fact, our 2008 Tata Safari was newly shod with MRF Wanderer Tyres that my driver was very impressed with.

I then discovered the MRF ZLO’s on Team Bhp - read and re-read this thread multiple times and drove straight to the MRF showroom along with my driver to find out about the MRF ZLO 185/70/14. One point of concern that I has was that for the upgrade from 165-185, I would need to change the steel rims. I was quoted a price of Rs. 3850 per tyre and was also advised that I would not need to change my rims (I hope the advice was right!).

From there I headed to the Bridgestone Showroom – where I was quoted a price of Rs. 4300 for each Bridgestone ER60 88H. Driven by cost considerations, the Teambhp reviews and my driver’s opinion of MRF – I decided to put my bets on the MRF ZLO.

Buying Experience

Back in Mumbai – I called Justdial and got the numbers of most tyre dealers for Bridgestone, MRF and JK. Most of the tyre dealers were very helpful over the phone (like Saifee Tyres, Santacruz – suggested by GTO and Pal Tyres, Lamington Road – suggested by Tejas) and Premji Tyres, Thane even sent me a detailed email giving me the following quote for each brand of tyre that they had in stock (which seems to be a good quote, all things considered):
1. Michelin Energy XM1+ 86H MRP Rs4972 Your Price Rs4625 each
2. Goodyear Duraplus MRP Rs4920 Your Price Rs4200 each
3. Yokohama AA01 88H MRP Rs4233 Your Price Rs4080 each
4. Continental CEC-3 88T MRP Rs4782 Your Price Rs4455 each
5. Bridgestone ER60 88H MRP Rs4735 Your Price Rs4350 each

The best quote I got from Saifee Tyres was Rs. 4000 for the MRF ZLO (Pal Tyres did not have ZLO’s in stock and Premji Tyres Thane did not deal in MRF).

I also sent an email to MRF (write2us@mrfmail.com) and got an email from MRF’s District Manager Peter Green requesting my phone number. He also promptly followed up with a phone call giving me the directions and the contact details of the nearest dealer – whom I finally did not visit since it was a little out of the way. Overall, very prompt customer service.

Since my office is in Lower Parel, I needed something closer to work so that I could head out of office on a light day and get my tyres changed – so I began looking for dealers in the Mahim and Lower Parel area.

I zeroed in on Kohli Tyres, Mahim (02224462200) and the best quote I got over the phone was Rs. 4100 per tyre. Went to Kolhi one afternoon – haggled with the chap there (Ashraf – a helpful sort) and got a deal of Rs. 3960 per tyre – balancing and alignment complimentary – weights and valves extra and 2% surcharge for payment by Credit Card.

I also got 500 off for my old tyres – which I think he may have stiffed me on!

In any event, a set out 5 MRF ZLO’s cost me Rs. 20,000 including weights and valves.

Usage and Opinion

I was insistent on getting new tyres as soon as possible since I was planning a drive from Mumbai to Nashik for Sula Fest, 2012.

During the drive to and from Nashik, the tyres performed admirably – the grip levels were good – the steering felt heavier at speed and I was able to corner at speeds of 80-100 kmph on the Mumbai - Nashik expressway (which is an awesome drive by the way) without a hint of unsteadiness or tire squeal. Also there is a significant reduction in tyre noise and the ride over rough roads (like the approach roads to the Sula Vineyards) is noticeably better.

Once complaint however, is that the acceleration feels a little blunted. This is likely on account of the wider profile of the new tyres (185 v. 165) – but this is something that I am prepared to live with for better ride quality.

Although it is too early in the day to opine on the general quality of the tyre or its longevity (since I have only done some 1000 km on them since purchase) – I am happy with my new ZLO’s. In any case, if I have any complaints about the tyre – I know the contact details of MRF so that I can write to them and voice my views - and promptly post an update on Teambhp!
VentViper is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 23:26   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Really nice post! Beautifully detailed your buying process.

1). Your dealer was right. The 186/70-14 can fit on the stock steel rims perfectly. No need to upgrade. Dont worry about this matter anymore.

2). 500/- for the old tyres is ok. Some people may have given you more, but for worn out JKs, this is in the general ballpark. Though, to be honest I think you should have got a little more. Maybe 700/- or so but it's difficult to say anything without looking at the tyre itself.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks