Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2013, 13:53   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Hello guys. I am with a march 2009 MJD Linea clocked 54000 kms. Need a change in tyres. The OEMs are goodyear which lasted very good to me. As per Nikhil and others I am looking to replace these Goodyear tyres wth MRF zlo. Can you guys help me explain what changes I should expect as compared to my current tyres when i switch over in terms of life, road grip (dry and wet), road noise, comfort, braking, handling or any other aspect related to tyres. Thanks guys, team bhp is a life saver
If you go for ZLOs you would lose out on handling. This is due to the softer sidewalls which flexes when you take corners. Day to day city driving you wont find any difference but highway drives matter. But ZLOs would be more comfy.

Go for Yoko A/C drives or Continental CPC2 or Apollo Accelere.

P.S This handling difference is very much evident in Fiats and hence the suggestion.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 14:22   #317
Senior - BHPian

Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Quote:
Hello guys. I am with a march 2009 MJD Linea clocked 54000 kms. Need a change in tyres. The OEMs are goodyear which lasted very good to me. As per Nikhil and others I am looking to replace these Goodyear tyres wth MRF zlo. Can you guys help me explain what changes I should expect as compared to my current tyres when i switch over in terms of life, road grip (dry and wet), road noise, comfort, braking, handling or any other aspect related to tyres. Thanks guys, team bhp is a life saver
My 2 cents:

Life: Can't say. Old JK and MRF Gumboots were known to run a lakh kms. ZLOs are softer compound, though I think 54K (what your current tyres achieved) is doable.

Road Grip: Phenomenal, both dry and wet. In my last Delhi-Kolkata trip, there was one incident while passing through Jharkhand. I was driving through blinding rain, at about 90kmph trying to overtake a Wagon-R ahead of me on NH2. A cow suddenly ran on the road, without any warning. Both cars braked hard. The Wagon-R zig-zagged to a stop and hit the cows tail (only the tail, thankfully ). My car braked in a straight line without any drama. Though the ABS (and driver skill, heh heh) also had something to do with it, I give full marks to the ZLOs for the kind of grip displayed.

Road Noise: I graduated from Yoko A-drives, so I find road noise higher at high speeds. That said, they should be quieter than previous MRF rubber.

Comfort: Very good, not at all a hard edged ride.

Braking: The Jharkhand incident has answered this.

Handling: On par with Yoko A-drives and XM2s. I tend to push the car hard through corners, and they maintain adequate grip.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 20:15   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
My 2 cents:

Life: Can't say. Old JK and MRF Gumboots were known to run a lakh kms. ZLOs are softer compound, though I think 54K (what your current tyres achieved) is doable.

Road Grip: Phenomenal, both dry and wet. In my last Delhi-Kolkata trip, there was one incident while passing through Jharkhand. I was driving through blinding rain, at about 90kmph trying to overtake a Wagon-R ahead of me on NH2. A cow suddenly ran on the road, without any warning. Both cars braked hard. The Wagon-R zig-zagged to a stop and hit the cows tail (only the tail, thankfully ). My car braked in a straight line without any drama. Though the ABS (and driver skill, heh heh) also had something to do with it, I give full marks to the ZLOs for the kind of grip displayed.

Road Noise: I graduated from Yoko A-drives, so I find road noise higher at high speeds. That said, they should be quieter than previous MRF rubber.

Comfort: Very good, not at all a hard edged ride.

Braking: The Jharkhand incident has answered this.

Handling: On par with Yoko A-drives and XM2s. I tend to push the car hard through corners, and they maintain adequate grip.
Based on your incident, please dont insult the tyre by saying that it is on par with XM2s and Yoko A drives!!

Anyway, good news!! The MRF ZLO will be available in many more sizes from this month!! Yippee!! I plan on getting one set for myself as testing tyres!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 21:01   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Based on your incident, please dont insult the tyre by saying that it is on par with XM2s and Yoko A drives!!
My comparison wasn't based on my incident. I have changed to ZLOs from A-drives, and the comparison was based on real experience

Edit - You should remember. I called you when I was deciding between ZLOs and Falkens!
Old 21st October 2013, 12:32   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, good news!! The MRF ZLO will be available in many more sizes from this month!! Yippee!!
Nikhil,

205/60/R16?
Old 21st October 2013, 12:44   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

The new sizes are

205/55-15
205/65-15
215/55-16
225/55-16
245/45-19
275/45-19.

Again, I dont mean this as a promotional post but just informing you all of the latest developments. As a fellow enthusiast, I am genuinely excited about these performance tyres.

215/55-16 is a good upsize for the EcoSport. 225/55-16 is a very nice upsize for the Cruze as it is one car that is truly capable of doing justice to such wide tyres.

205/65-15 is a fantastic upsize on the Civic. This is what I plan to get ASAP! Cant wait to try it out.

Apart from this, they will be launching a couple of more sizes in the future. I will post here as and when it gets confirmed.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:58   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikhil, you had mentioned that MRF have gone back to the drawing board art design of the zlo. So does it mean what ever new tires are coming will have updated design?
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:13   #323
Senior - BHPian

Damn! Had I waited 2 months, would have got 205/55/15 :(.
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:44   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Nikhil, you had mentioned that MRF have gone back to the drawing board art design of the zlo. So does it mean what ever new tires are coming will have updated design?
Dont know. Havent seen the new tyres myself but there is no official word from MRF whether they have tweaked the design or not.

Knowing a company like MRF, I am sure they would have tweaked the design to ensure the same complaints dont arise.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:58   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont know. Havent seen the new tyres myself but there is no official word from MRF whether they have tweaked the design or not.

Knowing a company like MRF, I am sure they would have tweaked the design to ensure the same complaints dont arise.
Nikhil,

Are the ZLOs available in the usual sizes (195/6-015 is what I'm interested in) available again?
Old 25th October 2013, 20:35   #326
Senior - BHPian

Changed my tyres to the newer revision ZLOs today! Thank you Nikhil!

My earlier tyres were Maxxis MA-Z1 195/55-15. New tyre size is ZLO 195/60-15. Fills up the arches quite nicely now!

There is no change in tread pattern; looks the same as before. My tyres were manufactures in Mid september so they're just over a month old. I'll post impressions once I use these tyres a bit.

MRF ZLO Performance Tyres-lua3tok.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 25th October 2013 at 20:36.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 20:42   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
205/65-15 is a fantastic upsize on the Civic. This is what I plan to get ASAP! Cant wait to try it out.
I think the first thing any Civic with sporting pretensions needs is a larger wheel size like 16 or maybe 17 and some lower profile rubber. Not just for performance, but the truckish looking wheel/tire design is totally at odds with sporty shape of the body.

I dont know what Honda India was thinking

The sidewall is soo huge that it looks like an SUV tire !

BTW, I own a Civic on stock size tire

Last edited by Mpower : 25th October 2013 at 22:44.
Old 27th October 2013, 14:35   #328
BHPian

How is Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD4 compared with ZLO in size 195/60 R15. Difference between them is a few rupees per tyre.
Old 11th November 2013, 07:05   #329
BHPian

While in my recent visit to Vapi, Gujarat I happen to check the rates of ZLo 195/60/R15 and to my surprise they were exactly Rs.950 (per tyre) cheap then the price I got in Mumbai. Here in Mumbai ZLo is around Rs.5200 (with wheel alignment and balancing) and in Vapi I was quoted Rs.4250 (without change of tyre, wheel alignment, balancing). Would the price differ outside Mumbai limits, like Thane, Navi Mumbai, etc. Would it be a good idea to get it changed from some far off place or should I stick to mumbai limits for any after sales service?
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 07:38   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While in my recent visit to Vapi, Gujarat I happen to check the rates of ZLo 195/60/R15 and to my surprise they were exactly Rs.950 (per tyre) cheap then the price I got in Mumbai. Here in Mumbai ZLo is around Rs.5200 (with wheel alignment and balancing) and in Vapi I was quoted Rs.4250 (without change of tyre, wheel alignment, balancing). Would the price differ outside Mumbai limits, like Thane, Navi Mumbai, etc. Would it be a good idea to get it changed from some far off place or should I stick to mumbai limits for any after sales service?
Its most probably an older batch of tyres. Similar prices are offered on SnapDeal, which again I think is Old Stock. He's offering throwaway prices to clear his stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks