Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2022, 15:39   #181
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello All

I have a Skoda Rapid 2017 TDI Ambition+ with the 16inch wheels. Currently, it is on it's second set of tires and have run them for about 51k Kms. It is time to change them as they getting worn out.

The current size is 205/55/R16 with Yoko Blue Earth tires

I plan to up the size to 205/60/R16 and it should not fit the wheel well pretty good (and improve the harsher ride quality with 55s) with enough space. Has anyone tried this or is it better to stick with 205/55/R16s .

Also how has been the experience with Michelin XM2+ or Bridgestone 290s?

Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 12:39   #182
BHPian

Did you end up doing the upgrade to 205/60 R16. I plan to do the same on my 2017 Rapid Ambition+ TDI AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
1. Heard great reviews of Madhus Tyre Centre.
2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4, if fine upgrade to 205/50 R16.
Old 5th December 2022, 14:28   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HentaiDesi View Post
Hello All

I have a Skoda Rapid 2017 TDI Ambition+ with the 16inch wheels. Currently, it is on it's second set of tires and have run them for about 51k Kms. It is time to change them as they getting worn out.
I had upgraded the tyres to 195/55/R16 in my 2016 Vento TSi DSG HL, it came with 196/60R15 tyres, no problems whatsoever. I feel that is the best upgrade and gives the best of both worlds - comfort, looks, and handling.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th December 2022 at 14:30.
Old 8th December 2022, 19:16   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HentaiDesi View Post
Did you end up doing the upgrade to 205/60 R16. I plan to do the same on my 2017 Rapid Ambition+ TDI AT
No, I have just upgraded to 205/55 R16 from stock 195/55 R16.
I personally find 55 aspect ratio to be the perfect combination of ride and handling.
205/60 R16 might touch the wheel well under full load IMHO.
Old 30th January 2023, 01:01   #185
BHPian

After a lot of searches on our forum, finally decided to go for stock size (185/60 R15) tires for my Skoda Rapid. My old tires were OE JK Tyres from 2017. They had almost 30% of tread left after running for 38,000 kms. I decided to change them as they started becoming a lot noisier after I rotated the tires. The tires had also become hard.

Went for Vredestein Ultrac tires. I sent a mail to Apollo with a few queries and the sent me the contact of Apollo’s site engineer with whom I had a conversation before finalizing on Vredestein. Bought them from Car Zone as they were the only authorized Vredestein dealers in Coimbatore. Got them at a price of Rs. 5300 each tire (including alignment and balancing). They charged Rs. 150 per valve but I said I will provide them. Got the same Triton valves (TR414) for Rs. 30 each from outside. I was offered Rs. 100 per tire for the old tires as they had become hard and got a few bulges.

The salesperson mentioned that in the absence of Michelin, Vredestein would be their preference. He showed me tires from Conti-CC6, Yoko BluEarth and Apollo Alnac 4G. He also explained the tread patterns and a few points on the rubber compound used to make each of these tires. I found Vredestein rubber to be kind of soft and flexible compared to the others. The Apollos were super hard. He mentioned that Michelins were the only ones which were as equally flexible as Vredestein (they are also dealers for Michelin). I decided to go with Vredestein. They also offer 5 years of warranty (2 years of unconditional warranty and 3 years of standard warranty). Got a 4722 manufactured tire (47th week of year 2022). They were 3-4 weeks old when I had fitted them.

Initial Ride Experience: Made a trip to BR Hills from Coimbatore. Roads were a mix of good, poor, and worst roads. The new tires make a world of difference compared to the JK tyres. I could clearly hear the engine noise now. The ride has become super smooth, quiet, and comfy. There is almost no bounce and noise on small patches and road joints. Not many observations on grip levels as I am a sedate driver. But since these tires come under High Performance Summer tires category, I believe they should offer good wet and dry grips. I will definitely recommend these tires.
jna4cob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:55   #186
BHPian

Bit the bullet finally after 2.5 years and 25k KMS on stock Good Years!

Stock: 185/60/R15 Good Year
Upgrade: 195/60/R15 UC6 + Uno Minda sparc alloys
Improvement: super ride quality and reduced road noise

Total dent to the Pocket: ~50k

Used home fitting services of tyresnmore.com as have used in past and would certainly recommend
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20230404wa0000.jpg  

Rapidholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 14:17   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidholic View Post
Bit the bullet finally after 2.5 years and 25k KMS on stock Good Years!

Stock: 185/60/R15 Good Year
Upgrade: 195/60/R15 UC6 + Uno Minda sparc alloys
Improvement: super ride quality and reduced road noise

Looks great.

Can you share the experience after upgrade?
I am also considering an upgrade from 185/60/R15 to 195/60/R15
Reason for upgrade will be most of the premium and performance tyres are in 195 instead of 185
Want to avoid upgrade as I don't want negative impacts,but no choice. If there are only positive impacts I'll go ahead with it.
Old 6th December 2023, 11:55   #188
BHPian

Update on Vredestein tires: The tire change seems like a complete suspension upgrade on my Skoda Rapid. The ride has become more smoother and softer. The thuds are felt less inside the cabin. Very much impressed with these tires. Got the alignment, balancing and rotation done at 5000 kms.
jna4cob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 23:01   #189
BHPian

Another update on Vredestein tyres:

Got a chance to TD the XUV700 AX7 L variant. I found the ride quality on par with my Skoda rapid with Vredestein tyres.

I know it is hard to believe but one has to experience these tyres to really know the comfort levels.
jna4cob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 14:21   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna4cob View Post
Another update on Vredestein tyres:

Got a chance to TD the XUV700 AX7 L variant. I found the ride quality on par with my Skoda rapid with Vredestein tyres.

I know it is hard to believe but one has to experience these tyres to really know the comfort levels.
I'll second your opinion on this. Absolutely in love with these tyres. The ride quality has never been as good in the past 7 years as it is now. And the grip is also good. Completed 5k on my Ultrac's.
I accidentally drove on a punctured tyre for a good 20 kms at decent speeds and didn't even realize it. Except a small left pull everything seemed alright (i thought it was alignment gone off as i had hit some craters badly on a kaccha road) at the end of the journey saw almost flat tyre. Was around 12 psi, which i then reinflated. The culprit was the new leaky valve put along with the tyre.
Idk if this was due to new tyre characteristics or if it was because of this particular tyre but, a person like me who can tell even a small wobble on steering, didn't realise an almost flat tyre. Such was the ride.
PrasadS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 21:41   #191
BHPian

The person who came for road test at Skoda ASS was too impressed with Vredestein.
During our ride, he asked me regarding the tyre brand. He then took a pic of the tyre as soon as our ride ended and said he would recommend these tyres to anyone who reaches out to him for suggestions.
jna4cob is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed