Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 23:06   #1
BHPian

Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

The best upsize for the existing 185/60/R15 is 205/55/R15 (0.5 % deviation).

In Bangalore, with great difficulty, I was finally able to source Continental CPC2 and Yokohoma S.Drives in this size (exactly 4 tyres each, at different dealers). No Michelins, Bridgestones or Pirelli's available in this size...

In reading through the forum, I came across 2 very disturbing threads:
For the S.drives: Yokohoma S Drives
For the CPC2's: CPC2

I'm absolutely undecided... I'd love to get one final concensus on which tyres i should go for b/w the two - as these are my only two options (except Apollo's again of course).

Note: My driving is mixed - city + highway. I drive fast (on the highways mostly) when its safe and empty, I love ghats, and I like to push the car to its limit when its safe, so to me - cornering, straightline speed/stability, braking, traction are all important. Also, given the wonderful (i.e horrible) road conditions at Bangalore, ride comfort is equally important as well.

So, between the CPC2 and the S.Drives, which would you prefer/recommend? Please feel free to elaborate why in as much detail as possible. Thanks!

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st December 2011 at 00:23. Reason: Corrected Forum links, thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 23:54   #2
BHPian

15" Alloys (Black) for a White Skoda Rapid

Just booked a white Skoda Rapid TDI Elegance.

Could you kind folks suggest/recommend 15" alloy make/models in BLACK (don't mind dashes of silver or chrome)?

I''ll be upsizing to 205/55/R15, keeping the rim size same, looking to swap out the Skoda alloys in exchange.

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st December 2011, 00:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tyre upsize for Skoda Rapid (CPC2 or S.Drive). Need Help for selecting Alloys too

Ok so basically going by what you said, the S-Drive seems more suited to your driving. The grip and stability with it will be much better than with the CPC2s but then the ride will be a bit stiffer and the noise would probably be noticeably more. But soft music would drown out the tyre noise.

See if you can get Yoko Db Decibel V550. That would be the perfect tyre for you.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 03:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre upsize for Skoda Rapid (CPC2 or S.Drive). Need Help for selecting Alloys too

195/60/15 if you want ride and handling.
205/55/15 would make the car handle, but you'll lose a lot of the ride quality.

Last edited by nitrous : 1st December 2011 at 03:59.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 06:49   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

I have s drive on my VRs. Pretty happy with the performance. Very assuring at high speeds. Performance under wet condition is also good.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 07:13   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

just a small query - do you really want to spend big bucks on such nice performance tyres which are made of a pliant rubber compound, given our roads in their current condition in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
The best upsize for the existing 185/60/R15 is 205/55/R15 (0.5 % deviation).

In Bangalore, with great difficulty, I was finally able to source Continental CPC2 and Yokohoma S.Drives in this size (exactly 4 tyres each, at different dealers). No Michelins, Bridgestones or Pirelli's available in this size...

In reading through the forum, I came across 2 very disturbing threads:
For the S.drives: Yokohoma S Drives
For the CPC2's: CPC2

I'm absolutely undecided... I'd love to get one final concensus on which tyres i should go for b/w the two - as these are my only two options (except Apollo's again of course).

Note: My driving is mixed - city + highway. I drive fast (on the highways mostly) when its safe and empty, I love ghats, and I like to push the car to its limit when its safe, so to me - cornering, straightline speed/stability, braking, traction are all important. Also, given the wonderful (i.e horrible) road conditions at Bangalore, ride comfort is equally important as well.

So, between the CPC2 and the S.Drives, which would you prefer/recommend? Please feel free to elaborate why in as much detail as possible. Thanks!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 08:15   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the responses guys. Keep 'em coming... One thing for sure is that I'm going in for 205/55/R15. Just undecided b/w the CPC2 and S.drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
just a small query - do you really want to spend big bucks on such nice performance tyres which are made of a pliant rubber compound, given our roads in their current condition in Bangalore?
Well, good question and I've been asking myself the same thing.
But then, now (i.e when the car is driven straight from the showroom to the tyre dealer) is my best chance of getting upto 3k for the Apollos, and moreover, I know the 205/55's are going to look so good on the car, so the enthusiast in me has stomped down all sensibility
Old 1st December 2011, 08:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have upgraded to 195/60 R15 C drives and find that to be a great balance between ride quality, handling and tyre noise . S drives would make the ride quality harsher and tyre noise would also be higher ( as compared to C drives ) though the handling would be comparatively better. At least H/V speed rated tyre should be the ones opted by you . R15 does limit the options available under 205/55. Just be aware that all these better performance tyres have tyre walls which may not survive the abuse meted out by our screwed up road conditions, I have learnt to respect the pot holes .
Cheers
Old 1st December 2011, 09:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
195/60/15 if you want ride and handling.
205/55/15 would make the car handle, but you'll lose a lot of the ride quality.
Would it lose ride quality? I mean the sidewall height is pretty much the same with stock and 205/55 R15. Yes with 195/60 it would increase and that would make the ride better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. Keep 'em coming... One thing for sure is that I'm going in for 205/55/R15. Just undecided b/w the CPC2 and S.drives
There really is nothing much more to say on the tyres than what has been said.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st December 2011 at 09:53.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 10:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was in a similar dillema as you are sometime back. I almost zeroed in on the CPC2 but the comments in the following thread (and a few other related threads) made me reconsider my decision.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tinental+tyres

I finally settled for 195/60/15 where you have a wide array of choices including Michelin's, Yoko's, Bridgestone etc. If you are very particular about 205/55 there isnt much options left. Pirelli has a model under this spec but it is extremely difficult to source.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote would be for the S drives in this. You can consider the Maxxis MA-Z1s too.... Pretty good tyres.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys, I'll go in for the S-drives then. Hope I can find them at Bangalore. Last time I checked, one guy had just 4 tyres.

Could I request for some feedback regarding my question on the alloys? Something in black. Would you folks recommend painting the existing alloys black (instead of an exchange deal)?
Old 1st December 2011, 14:15   #13
BHPian

S-Drives are good when they behave properly. Sure they handle exceptionally well under normal conditions. But when you push them hard around corners consistently coupled with liberal use of brakes they lose their composure completely. Also I am extremely disappointed with their performance during emergency braking. They tend to lock up easily and ABS kicks in more often with S-Drives.

You tend to push the car harder around corner as these tires handle well but they let you down when you need them the most. I would strongly advise you to stay away from S-Drives given your driving style. They almost got me killed.
Old 1st December 2011, 15:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The CPC2s are worse. Which is why given the current choices, I think the S drives would be better. Every tyre has it's limitations. You need to know the limitations and drive within the limits.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 16:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Check out if PP2 is available with the desired size. What I hear is that it is in a different league altogether.

Most Viewed