Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 22:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Guys really need some help. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to buy alloys for my rapid, but would like to stick to my stock 14" for the moment since they have just done 18k. I was scouting for 14" alloys for the rapid and found that 14" alloys with 5 holes as required for the rapid are hard to find. I didn't do a through search though, just checked 2 shops nearby. Is this the case?
Secondly I was wondering as to what are my options when I decide to change tyres eventually? Someone suggested 205/60/14 as a good upgrade. Would this be good or is 15" the right upgrade?
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:02   #62
BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Guys really need some help. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to buy alloys for my rapid, but would like to stick to my stock 14" for the moment since they have just done 18k. I was scouting for 14" alloys for the rapid and found that 14" alloys with 5 holes as required for the rapid are hard to find. I didn't do a through search though, just checked 2 shops nearby. Is this the case?
Secondly I was wondering as to what are my options when I decide to change tyres eventually? Someone suggested 205/60/14 as a good upgrade. Would this be good or is 15" the right upgrade?
Hey motorworks, why don't you try sourcing them online through Sai Mag wheels. They seem to reasonable when I had last interacted & have more than 10 designs with your specification in 14'. Here's the link:
http://www.alloywheelsindia.com/product1.php

But if you are planning to change your tyres too then I would strongly recommend upgrade to 15'. You will get way more choice in alloys locally & your ride is gonna look sweet

After having browsed through a lot of threads on our forum about tyres, I finally zeroed in on Yokohama AVS DB V550 195/60/15 for my just out of showroom Skoda Rapid Elegance

Got a good price from the tyre dealer on stock tyres buyback. The entire deal set me back by about 7600 which is not too bad at all. The ride comfort is plush & the cabin is noiseless !

Note : I am in no way promoting or associated with Sai mag wheels.
Old 29th August 2014, 23:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Hey motorworks, why don't you try sourcing them online through Sai Mag wheels. They seem to reasonable when I had last interacted & have more than 10 designs with your specification in 14'. Here's the link:

http://www.alloywheelsindia.com/product1.php

But if you are planning to change your tyres too then I would strongly recommend upgrade to 15'. You will get way more choice in alloys locally & your ride is gonna look sweet

After having browsed through a lot of threads on our forum about tyres, I finally zeroed in on Yokohama AVS DB V550 195/60/15 for my just out of showroom Skoda Rapid Elegance

Got a good price from the tyre dealer on stock tyres buyback. The entire deal set me back by about 7600 which is not too bad at all. The ride comfort is plush & the cabin is noiseless !

Note : I am in no way promoting or associated with Sai mag wheels.

Hey thanks for your suggestion. I'm still deliberating about the alloys and tyres. I have just done 18k so my stock tyres have at least another 15k to go. As you said 15" is actually the apt size, so 14" is really not the right buy and I may end up regretting it later. I think I will just wait it out for the next 15k kms.
Old 6th November 2014, 08:22   #64
BHPian

hi guys. i am running an ambition variant whose original shoes have run for almost 50K kms. Post the service will get the shoes changed and which is where the dilema starts:
a) rim option - currently one of the rims is slightly bent - reason enough to think of procuring 15" rims (not sure if they are available)
b) tyre size option - depending on whether i change the rims - the choice is between 195/65/14 and 195/60/15. consciously want to increase overall diameter to pull the ride slighly higher
c) tyre choices once frozen on the size - yoko a-drives (brilliant experience on linea) vs hankook v8 (good feedback here) vs michelin xm2 vs yoko dbv550

seek advice from folks
Old 6th November 2014, 18:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner fan View Post
reason enough to think of procuring 15" rims (not sure if they are available)
15" rims should be available at the Skoda workshop. Atleast at VW Workshop 15" they are.

Quote:
tyre size option - depending on whether i change the rims - the choice is between 195/65/14 and 195/60/15. consciously want to increase overall diameter to pull the ride slighly higher
Best upsize for Rapid/Vento is 195 60 R15. Going above it would result in brake failure as with higher diameter resulting lesser rotation leading to less braking.

Quote:
yre choices once frozen on the size - yoko a-drives (brilliant experience on linea) vs hankook v8 (good feedback here) vs michelin xm2 vs yoko dbv550
Michelin XM2. Tough to handle Indian roads with on parity comfort.
Old 6th November 2014, 23:39   #66
BHPian

Quote:
hi guys. i am running an ambition variant whose original shoes have run for almost 50K kms. Post the service will get the shoes changed and which is where the dilema starts:
a) rim option - currently one of the rims is slightly bent - reason enough to think of procuring 15" rims (not sure if they are available)
Car nuts don't need a reason to want new wheels just as women don't need a reason to want more jewellery!
Rims are certainly available and not just restricted to 15 inchers. Here is a list of guaranteed fitments:

215/40R18 on 8x18 ET 30-35 - NOT RECOMMENDED FOR INDIA.
215/45R17 on 7.5x17 ET 30-35 - MAX SENSIBLE.
205/55R16 on 7x16 ET 25-40 - BEST OVERALL.
195/65R15 on 6.5x15 ET 25-45 - OK, BARELY AN UPGRADE.
195/70R14 on stock 14" steel wheels - ONLY A WIDTH/SIZE INCREASE.

Quote:
b) tyre size option - depending on whether i change the rims - the choice is between 195/65/14 and 195/60/15. consciously want to increase overall diameter to pull the ride slighly higher.
The sizes you mention will yield an increased height of 3.05mm and 6mm respectively. That's less than an iPad!
All the sizes I've listed above will get you a nice 11-15mm increase in ride height and are guaranteed to fit without any issues whatsoever.

Quote:
c) tyre choices once frozen on the size - yoko a-drives (brilliant experience on linea) vs hankook v8 (good feedback here) vs michelin xm2 vs yoko dbv550

seek advice from folks
Lots of better options out there in 16" and larger sizes... you'll need to pick a size first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
15" rims should be available at the Skoda workshop. Atleast at VW Workshop 15" they are.
If it's only 15" gunner fan is looking for, it shall most certainly be available from Skoda as the top model is sold with 15" as stock, which gets me back to the point that anything short of 16" is really not an upgrade (atleast in my opinion).

Quote:
Best upsize for Rapid/Vento is 195 60 R15. Going above it would result in brake failure as with higher diameter resulting lesser rotation leading to less braking.
Depending on driving style the brakes may wear faster, as is the case with any upgrade of tyres (as long as the traction is better). But FAIL? NO. Sorry, that's just misleading info. With this logic, brakes would likely stop working at low speeds! Besides, at the point where the tyre is simply too large for the rotors and pads, one would already reach the physical limits of the fender.

Quote:
Michelin XM2. Tough to handle Indian roads with on parity comfort.
That would be one of the options... there are lots more to choose from, again depending on the use case / driving preference. The XM2 is not even close to an ultra-performance tyre if that's what you meant.
Old 7th November 2014, 01:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
Car nuts don't need a reason to want new wheels just as women don't need a reason to want more jewellery!

215/40R18 on 8x18 ET 30-35 - NOT RECOMMENDED FOR INDIA.
215/45R17 on 7.5x17 ET 30-35 - MAX SENSIBLE.
205/55R16 on 7x16 ET 25-40 - BEST OVERALL.
195/65R15 on 6.5x15 ET 25-45 - OK, BARELY AN UPGRADE.
195/70R14 on stock 14" steel wheels - ONLY A WIDTH/SIZE INCREASE.
All the above tire size recommended by you are absolutely incorrect. I would suggest you to first have a thorough knowledge before you go ahead recommending any further. Below images should settle it. Comparison with stock 15" tire 186 60 R15.

Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tire-size-comparison.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tire-size-comparison1.jpg

Quote:
The sizes you mention will yield an increased height of 3.05mm and 6mm respectively. That's less than an iPad!
All the sizes I've listed above will get you a nice 11-15mm increase in ride height and are guaranteed to fit without any issues whatsoever.
Things don't work that way. You need to see whether tire would touch wheel well under complete steering movement left/right. Enough space for suspension movement, etc. It's not as simple as a thin iPad. Tires are the contact point which keep your car in control and you wouldn't want to go wrong with it.

Quote:
Depending on driving style the brakes may wear faster, as is the case with any upgrade of tyres (as long as the traction is better). But FAIL? NO. Sorry, that's just misleading info.
Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-brake-failure.jpg

Quote:
That would be one of the options... there are lots more to choose from, again depending on the use case / driving preference. The XM2 is not even close to an ultra-performance tyre if that's what you meant.
In India people go out buy performance tires and then crib about side wall bubble and tire cuts. One needs to be practical what suits best. Given Vento/Rapid these are meant for long drives where you may encounter good roads, bad roads and potholes. XM2 & P3ST would be more than adequate to handle them and give a good handling to complement as well.

To recommend tire size for Polo/Vento/Rapid. Below are the tire sizes.
  • 195 60 R15 : My pick either XM2 or P3ST
  • 195 55 R15
  • 205 55 R15 : Yoko S Drives
  • 205 50 R16
  • 215 40 R17

Pick your poison.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
All the above tire size recommended by you are absolutely incorrect. I would suggest you to first have a thorough knowledge before you go ahead recommending any further. Below images should settle it. Comparison with stock 15" tire 186 60 R15.
el lobo 6061,
Anything I say will not explain the physics to you as well as a live example.
Please PM me a meeting point and address of your choice in Mumbai and I'll send you my 2011 VW Vento (same car as yours) riding on 205/65R15 tyres (and yes, that size is stock for an Innova) for a test drive.
I know you to be far more educated on the subject matter of cars than an average Joe (which is likely why you're actually on this forum), but do think of this... why do we always "follow the rule book"? Who wrote this book? Did you ever validate it yourself?

Quote:
Things don't work that way. You need to see whether tire would touch wheel well under complete steering movement left/right. Enough space for suspension movement, etc. It's not as simple as a thin iPad. Tires are the contact point which keep your car in control and you wouldn't want to go wrong with it.
EXACTLY my point. Thank You for providing a sense of gravity to tyre selection. I am sure you too would have read a barge of articles on studies that clearly explain that wider tyres barely increase the contact patch enough for seriously better braking/traction. On the other hand, a larger diameter tyre will most certainly have a larger contact patch unless something really foolish is in the works.

Quote:
In India people go out buy performance tires and then crib about side wall bubble and tire cuts. One needs to be practical what suits best. Given Vento/Rapid these are meant for long drives where you may encounter good roads, bad roads and potholes. XM2 & P3ST would be more than adequate to handle them and give a good handling to complement as well.
I would go for a P3ST over an XM1 any day. But then again, is it wrong to consider an Advan Sport or even an Advan Neova? Or a Pilot Sport 3? or even a Pilot Super Sport? or a P-Zero? or a CSC3? or a CSC 5? or a Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position?
The way I see it, you should atleast know what is available at the top of the pyramid and then decide what suits you.

Quote:
Not trying to be cheeky, but here's my list again (with some MORE math and some references too):

215/40R18 on 8x18 ET 30-35; 629.2mm Diameter; 86mm Sidewall; ~670mm min. fender clearance @ ~18.86 degrees; +14.45mm ride height - NOT RECOMMENDED FOR INDIA - ABT Sportsline - VW Polo - Wheels

215/45R17 on 7.5x17 ET 30-35; 625.3mm Diameter; 96.75mm Sidewall; ~666mm min. fender clearance @ ~18.97 degrees; +11.15mm ride height - MAX SENSIBLE (BARELY ENOUGH SIDEWALL FOR INDIA).

205/55R16 on 7x16 ET 25-40; 631.9mm Diamater; 112.75mm Sidewall; ~664mm min. fender clearance @ ~17.97 degrees; +14.45mm ride height - BEST OVERALL (Standard size on VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia).

195/65R15 on 6.5x15 ET 25-45; 634.5mm Diamater; 126.75mm Sidewall; ~661mm min. fender clearance @ ~17.08 degrees; +15.75mm ride height - OK, BARELY AN UPGRADE (Tall Sidewall - sub-par cornering/handling; Cushy ride).

195/70R14 on stock 14" steel wheels; 628.6mm Diamater; 136.5mm Sidewall; ~656mm min. fender clearance @ ~17.23 degrees; +12.8mm ride height - ONLY A WIDTH/SIZE INCREASE (Very Tall Sidewall for a sedan/hatch - poor cornering/handling; mushy ride).

STOCK SIZES:

185/60R15
; 603mm Diamater; 111mm Sidewall; ~636mm min. fender clearance @ ~17.06 degrees - UN-INSPIRING PERFORMANCE; DECENT RIDE.

175/70R14 - Cheap Rubbish - Cost Cutting Measure - POOR PEROFRMANCE.

TESTED SIZE:

205/65R15
; 647.5mm Diamater - 133.25mm Sidewall; ~679mm min. fender clearance @ ~17.57 degrees; +22.25mm ride height - MAX POSSIBLE INCREASE, rear right fender liner needs mild reforming.

ACTUAL front fender clearance of VW Vento / Polo: ~681mm.

Quote:
Pick your poison.
Shiny New Tyres - The Best poison ever... (for car nuts)

Last edited by bharatsomany : 7th November 2014 at 11:28.
Old 7th November 2014, 14:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything I say will not explain the physics to you as well as a live example. I'll send you my 2011 VW Vento (same car as yours) riding on 205/65R15 tyres (and yes, that size is stock for an Innova) for a test drive.
Going by rule book your Vento tire are way off but you seem to having a good experience with it. Going by below image, those 205 65 R15 are an overkill for Vento. How many km have you clocked on them and didn't steering EPS had an issue coping up so much weight of the tire? 3% is allowed difference and your car tire are at 7.38%. Tire experts could throw some light on it.

If sometime either of us are in Mumbai or Delhi we could check out your car.

Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tire-size-comparison3.jpg

Quote:
Not trying to be cheeky, but here's my list again (with some MORE math and some references too):

~Snip~

That's some good amount of info, you surely know your stuff.
Old 8th November 2014, 13:20   #70
BHPian

Quote:
  • 195 60 R15 : My pick either XM2 or P3ST
  • 205 55 R15 : Yoko S Drives

Pick your poison.
Well between the 2 trust for 195/60 to offer a more plush ride? Also any reason you do not recommend the A drives / Dbv? Also between the Michelins I believe P3ST to be a notch higher?
And btw this is one poison which is also the medication

Quote:
el lobo 6061,
I would go for a P3ST over an XM1 any day. But then again, is it wrong to consider an Advan Sport or even an Advan Neova? Or a Pilot Sport 3? or even a Pilot Super Sport? or a P-Zero? or a CSC3? or a CSC 5? or a Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position?
The way I see it, you should atleast know what is available at the top of the pyramid and then decide what suits you.

TESTED SIZE:

205/65R15[/b]; 647.5mm Diamater - 133.25mm Sidewall; ~679mm min. fender clearance @ ~17.57 degrees; +22.25mm ride height - MAX POSSIBLE INCREASE, rear right fender liner needs mild reforming.

ACTUAL front fender clearance of VW Vento / Polo: [b]~681mm.

Lol. Well will be less than your definition of adventurous for the shoes - yes will go upto 15" but not the fender hugging love that you demonstrate.
Old 10th November 2014, 00:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well between the 2 trust for 195/60 to offer a more plush ride?
Yes 195 will have more plush ride.

Quote:
Also any reason you do not recommend the A drives / Dbv?
Not much experience and I feel they aren't suited for Indian road conditions. Whereas Michelin XM2 and P3ST would fare much better. Yokohama has launched Earth-1 series tires specially made for Indian road condition but size for Vento aren't available.

Quote:
Also between the Michelins I believe P3ST to be a notch higher?
Yes but I feel XM2 with tougher side wall be better if you do long drives with varying road conditions. For city P3ST would be better.
Old 10th November 2014, 00:27   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Not much experience and I feel they aren't suited for Indian road conditions. Whereas Michelin XM2 and P3ST would fare much better. Yokohama has launched Earth-1 series tires specially made for Indian road condition but size for Vento aren't available.

Yes but I feel XM2 with tougher side wall be better if you do long drives with varying road conditions. For city P3ST would be better.
Interesting you mention XM2 >> P3ST for sidewall - I thought/read somewhere that one of the localization/improvement brought out in P3ST were firmer sidewalls
Old 10th November 2014, 12:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Well between the 2 trust for 195/60 to offer a more plush ride? Also any reason you do not recommend the A drives / Dbv? Also between the Michelins I believe P3ST to be a notch higher?
And btw this is one poison which is also the medication
Yes, 195/60 should offer a better ride. Typically, taller sidewalls offer slightly better ride.
A-Drives and db are ok but no match to a P3ST.
P3ST is most certainly better than XM2. Even by positioning, the 'Energy' series from Michelin is the lowest, 'Primacy' being mid range and 'Pilot' being top of the line.

Quote:
Lol. Well will be less than your definition of adventurous for the shoes - yes will go upto 15" but not the fender hugging love that you demonstrate.
The 16" is not really a fender hugging size and given that the car comes with 15" as stock in the top model, its really not an upgrade at all.
If its a smaller diameter you're looking for, you could get 215/50R16s as well. It would certainly provide for a much better solution than the 15" in my opinion.

Quote:
Interesting you mention XM2 >> P3ST for sidewall - I thought/read somewhere that one of the localization/improvement brought out in P3ST were firmer sidewalls
I cant say which is tougher but I've been running a few sets of P3ST with no complaints whatsoever. Personally, I would not go for the XM2.
Old 12th November 2014, 16:58   #74
BHPian

Guys, Anyone tried 16" or 17" wheels on Rapid & what's your experience? In India we have been offered only 14" & 15". Other countries they offer (with extra cha) 16" & 17" for even 1.2TSI. So that means there is nothing wrong in using 16"/17" provided outer dia is within limits of say 2% variation. I would like to go for 16" or 17" on my rapid. I know in Indian roads it will be very hard drive, but the aesthetics wise it will be eye catching. Will there be any drop in low end performance even if you maintain the dia same as stock? I rqst for your inputs pls.
Old 20th December 2014, 20:49   #75
BHPian

Quote:
b) tyre size option - depending on whether i change the rims - the choice is between 195/65/14 and 195/60/15. consciously want to increase overall diameter to pull the ride slighly higher

seek advice from folks
Well with service done (and some recovery from $$ damages) I did reach out to couple of known tyre folks in Gurgaon. What I learnt is as follows:
1) these guys dont have 15" rims for the rapid and dnt think it can be sourced
2) with no upsize in rim possible, the choice of tyre size is down to 185/70 (+2.3% diameter variance) or 195/65 (1.4% diameter variance).
3) for 195/65 there is only a drive from yoko. for the 185/70 there is choice between er60, xm2, a drive.

suggestions folks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks