Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2015, 20:09   #106
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
Hmm. Ok so I up sized to 195/60r15 Yokohama earth 1 for 19500 including alignment and balancing from Tyre emporium Malviya Nagar. Feel super smooth with nice grip, probably because I am comparing these two 61300 km old tyres.
Did this involve rim/alloy change? Also would you have an idea whether Yoko ES100 is a 2 ply construction as well? I am contemplating an upgrade for my Rapid. Want to avoid single ply contruction due to poor experience with Michelin on my Swift.
Old 16th June 2015, 14:38   #107
BHPian

No. This not involve rim/ alloy change. I am not aware of the second point that you asked.
Old 18th July 2015, 10:08   #108
BHPian

Last week changed stock tyres (Apollo Acelere) to Continental Comfort connect 5 (CC5) in the same stock size. The difference is very pleasant. It’s quite soft as compared to Apollos. Excellent grip, great steering feel, super silent. No thud sounds like Apollos. I think I was missing all this fun for 37000 KMs with stock tyres
Actually I had shortlisted XM2, CPC5 and Earth 1. However for Continental I came to know that only CC5 is available. Checked with multiple dealers in Pune and the best quote I got –
For XM2 – 5000
CC5 – 4100
Earth 1 – 4650
Looking at CC5, tread pattern (this is asymmetric pattern) and softness, it also has better sidewall than XM2, I decided to go with CC5 as it excelled in all departments while comparing.
Although not sure about the life of tyres but it should last around 35 to 40000 KM.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-cc5_1.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-cc5_2.jpg  

Old 9th August 2015, 16:19   #109
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Please can someone help me out with my query ?

I am planning to get the wheels changed tomorrow.

PS: I am confused between 175/70R14, 195/60R14 and 185/65R14.
Hi Satyam, what tyres did you finally go for and where did you procure them in Noida? I am also in the market to upgrade my Rapid tyres to 205/55 R 15.
Old 9th August 2015, 20:06   #110
BHPian

Had visited tyre shoppe Noida today and they recommended to upgrade to 195/60 R15 Hankooks. As per the owner, the Hankooks offer stronger ply and sidewall than even Indian tyre manufacturers. He had 205/55 R15 Yokohama and Hankooks also in stock however he was against them since mileage would take a hit and road noise would be much higher. Any opinion?
Old 20th September 2015, 01:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Need some advice on tyre and alloy upgrade. Mine is a 2012 rapid ambition meaning I got those puny 175/14" tyres. I have done about 25k until now and didn't upgrade since my running was limited to the city.
In any case i thought lets just upgrade now rather than when it's too late. Now I got to first change to alloys since that's the only way I'm going to have 15". The confusion is whether to go with skoda' original 5 spoke alloy which are in the same league as say OZ or Lenso etc. I'm not very sure about the external brands since procuring them thru a reliable source is an issue. Skoda originals are actually a good fit and I'm sure there is a sense of buying it from a fairly reliable source.
The second part would be the tyres for which I'm fairly convinced that I got to look at 205/55/15" since that seems to have the least deviation and also widely acknowledged as a better upgrade in the vento and rapid forums. I may look at Michelin PS3Ts or XM2.
Would really like to have some views on the alloys.
Old 29th October 2015, 13:22   #112
BHPian

Hello,

Need valuable advice for tyre replacement.

I have Rapid Ambition (2012) which has clocked 40300 km till date. All tyres are OE (175/70 R14 Apollo Accelere).

Two of the tyres (fitted on front) had worn out almost till the TWI in 30000 km. I had swapped them with rear tyres at 30000 km so as to get unform wear on all four. The tyres which were fitted in rear are still in good shape (after 30000 km in rear + 10000km in front) and can run for atleast 20000 km more.

The spare tyre had a side wall cut. I have got a tube installed in it and the wheel has been kept as spare wheel. It is used only for few km after tyre puncture.

Wish to know from experts if it is ok if I replace only two / three tyres and keep on using the two which are good.

I have two options for replacing tyres:
1) Replacing two/three tyres (Two worn out + 1 spare wheel with sidewall cut) with same size.
2) Replacing four tyres with size upgrade (195/70 R14) as I want to increase the GC a bit but do not want to invest in 15inch wheel rims / alloys.

Request your advice on above as well as the tyres to be preferred. I do not have deep pockets at the moment....can spend about 5000 for each tyre.
Old 8th November 2015, 06:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraK78 View Post
Hello,

Need valuable advice for tyre replacement.

I have Rapid Ambition (2012) which has clocked 40300 km till date. All tyres are OE (175/70 R14 Apollo Accelere).

Two of the tyres (fitted on front) had worn out almost till the TWI in 30000 km. I had swapped them with rear tyres at 30000 km so as to get unform wear on all four. The tyres which were fitted in rear are still in good shape (after 30000 km in rear + 10000km in front) and can run for atleast 20000 km more.

The spare tyre had a side wall cut. I have got a tube installed in it and the wheel has been kept as spare wheel. It is used only for few km after tyre puncture.

Wish to know from experts if it is ok if I replace only two / three tyres and keep on using the two which are good.

I have two options for replacing tyres:
1) Replacing two/three tyres (Two worn out + 1 spare wheel with sidewall cut) with same size.
2) Replacing four tyres with size upgrade (195/70 R14) as I want to increase the GC a bit but do not want to invest in 15inch wheel rims / alloys.

Request your advice on above as well as the tyres to be preferred. I do not have deep pockets at the moment....can spend about 5000 for each tyre.
Finally replaced all four tyres with MRF ZLO (185/70 R14) as they are not available in 195/70 profile.

Costed INR 4000/- per tyre, with free wheel balancing and alignment.

The grip has improved a lot and braking distance has reduced significantly. Also the car seems to be more stable on high speed curves compared to Acceleres. Have done about 300 km on new tyres. Planning for a long drive. Will update the thread with feedback once back.
JitendraK78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 18:58   #114
BHPian

Following the advice here, went for the Yokohama Earth 1's for my 2012 Skoda Rapid Ambition. Stock was the 175/70 14" Apollo Acelere's, and was feeling the need to increase the GC, so went for the 185/70 14" Earth 1's. Originally wanted to get the 195/65 14" but the dealer didn't have them in stock.

Overall, am quite happy. Replaced all 4 tyres at Pal Tyres @ Lamington Road (following the advice in the Team-BHP directory) and got a good price. Grip and Ride Quality have improved significantly, and can feel the increased GC as well. Got a price of ₹4000/tyre.
Old 14th June 2016, 00:40   #115
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I use 32 psi all around in my 195/60/15, and it strikes a good balance between ride and handling. Thud/thunk sound over the speedbreaker/pothole is a charecteristic of the suspension. I thought only the vento had this issue, but looks like rapid has this too. Nothing you can do about it!
The dealership had delivered the car with 32 PSi on all four tyres, switched to Front 32 and Rear 29 and all was awesome. The road grip improved by a great margin, no more 'maatu-vandi' or 'bail-gaadi' quality of ride.

I never experienced the rear 'thunk' sound issue with my Skoda Rapid riding on 185/60x15" Apollo's. I was faithfully using the specification provided and filling Front 32 PSi and Rear tyres with 29PSi of air. No Nitrogen, Never!

On my return trip back from Vadodara to Chennai, the cabin was full and so was the boot, thus switched to Skoda specified air pressures of Front 39 PSi and 36 PSi. Man did I hear the thunk every single time I took-on a curve or bad piece of road. Although, not as worse as some quasi SUVs I've driven.

For everyone who worries about tyre wear, remember they are made to wear and keep the car on the road when you accelerate hard...
Old 27th June 2016, 15:02   #116

Skoda Rapid - Tyre guide

Mod note: Post merged, please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Dear All,

I have a Skoda Rapid 2014 Model, done about 40k kms with the stock Apollo tyres. Its time to replace them and I m considering an upsize from the stock 185/60/15 to 195/60/15 with the same OEM alloys.

I have got the below two options from the local tyre dealer.

1. Michelin Primacy 3 ST
2. Pirelli CINTURATO P1

Both of them are at same price segment and the dealer recommends Pirelli due to its high performance. Please help me with your suggestions and let me know if the tyre upsize is recommended.

Thanks,
Ashraf

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th June 2016 at 15:46.
Old 28th June 2016, 06:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrafkhanm View Post
Mod note: Post merged, please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Dear All,

I have a Skoda Rapid 2014 Model, done about 40k kms with the stock Apollo tyres. Its time to replace them and I m considering an upsize from the stock 185/60/15 to 195/60/15 with the same OEM alloys.

I have got the below two options from the local tyre dealer.

1. Michelin Primacy 3 ST
2. Pirelli CINTURATO P1

Both of them are at same price segment and the dealer recommends Pirelli due to its high performance. Please help me with your suggestions and let me know if the tyre upsize is recommended.

Thanks,
Ashraf
The tyre size is appropriate though not the best. You can use the calculators available online for arriving at minimum variance to stock. I have used both Michelin and Pirelli in my cars and would suggest to go for Pirelli.
Old 1st August 2016, 09:36   #118
BHPian

I have a general question about Wheel Balancing.

I just had the work done. I noticed that on one of the tyres, the fellow put, among other weights, identical weights exact opposite each other.

Did he do that just to increase the weight? Or could there be a legitimate reason for what he did?
Old 1st August 2016, 15:03   #119

I am planning to replace the OEM tyres (Apollo 185/60r15) on my 2015 SKoda Rapid DSG. I have 42k on the odo and still undecided on whether to stick to stock size or upgrade to 205/55r15. I was almost convinced on the upgrade when one tyre dealer in chennai suggested not to upsize to the 205 size given the car has run 42k and would have some suspension wear. Any truth to this? suggestions/comments please. Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:30   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruns_22 View Post
I am planning to replace the OEM tyres (Apollo 185/60r15) on my 2015 SKoda Rapid DSG. I have 42k on the odo and still undecided on whether to stick to stock size or upgrade to 205/55r15. I was almost convinced on the upgrade when one tyre dealer in chennai suggested not to upsize to the 205 size given the car has run 42k and would have some suspension wear. Any truth to this? suggestions/comments please. Thanks.
If you are looking for pure performance and looks, i suggest you go ahead with 205/55/R15, either conti or Yoko. But if you expect the car to be performing as per the company standards, i suggest you should stick with the stock tire size. Its a matter of personal choice, and as i a person who is running on 205/55/R15, i can vouch for the quality of drive it brings to my daily ride especially while doing fast cornering. I never heard of any suspension wears due to this up-size as the difference of over all ratios is below 1 % which is very minuscule.

Highway patrol.
highwaypatrol is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks