Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2006, 14:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tyre Warranty Claiming

The right front Goodyear Eagle Ventura started to have a bubble sought of in the tyre. I went to my tyre dealer and showed him. He told me to come on Monday when the tyre engineer would be coming at 12:30 P.M

So today i went there. The tyre was told to be removed. So first the guys put the car on jack removed the bolts but the tyre refused to come out. It got jammed. I guess because of rust. Finally after lot of hammering and pulling the tyre came out. There was a nail in the tyre at one spot, though that neednot be repaired as i wanted a New Tyre. The Alloy was removed from the tyre and then the Engineer looked at it and came told me that due to the car going into the pothole the cars tyre had developed this spot. He marked it with his chalk and tried to convince that by patching it the tyre would give me a full service. But i was not convinced. I told him that i had 195/50/13 on my esteem and it was mainly used for off roading but it didnot develop any problem that means this piece of yours is a defective one.

Engineer Inspecting the Tyre

Then i started to argue : -and then he gave up and finally agreed for replacement without much arguement.

The Defective Tyre : -

The Inside View of the bubble..

The Tyre Joining the set of other replacement pieces..

Making the Replacement Receipt

The Markings on the Tyre

Finally the New Tyre arrived but i had to pay Rs. 1020 as the tyres depth had become 5.5mm from 8.0 mm amounting to 31% wear(in just 10,000kms) hence had to pay 31% the price of the New Tyre. I bought them for Rs. 2950 per piece but had to pay 31% on the invoice of Rs. 3350.

Some people had come who also wanted their tyres replaced but then the engineer convined them by showing some maps. Finally a new piece was given to me and i am happy the procedure was quite simplified without any delay. I got the new piece immediately without delay.
Old 13th March 2006, 14:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow.I just realised u get warranty for tyres too.

Hmmm, good reason to rip the tyres on the track and claim it as defective.
Old 13th March 2006, 15:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Wow.I just realised u get warranty for tyres too.

Hmmm, good reason to rip the tyres on the track and claim it as defective.
If you dont get the tyres from grey market then you get warranty only for Manufacturing defects and not for wear and tear. Thats one reason why i choose Goodyear you can claim warranty with ease
Old 11th July 2006, 04:28   #4
BANNED

Thats one reason why i choose Goodyear you can claim warranty with ease [/quote]

Isn't it the same with Bridgestone too?
Old 11th July 2006, 07:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The point about paying 31% for the usage is a little suprising. Do all manufacturers go this way ?

Couldnt make out much from the pics .. did we need them [all] here ?
Old 11th July 2006, 10:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

gud that u got atleast a replacement ...my brand new G3 potenza which had done less than 1000kms got a similar bulge ....but all the bridgestone engineer said was as the tire got a bulge becaus eof the car hitting something ...it wasnt their fault ..so there would be no replacement ...

so far i have changed 4 g3 potenza's :( in 20 k kms
Old 11th July 2006, 10:44   #7
BHPian

sorry to highjack your tread but the topic's appropriate. my stock bridgestone s322 ( front right) on my indigo blew when i hit a small pothole on a flyover at around 60kph. i pulled over and found that the tyre wall had two tears about 2 inches long. i've just done 2800 kms on them so far. so can i claim warranty on them or will they just discount it as driving abuse ?
any pointers guys ?
btwn i did bother to write a grevience on the bridgestone site but the submit script doesnt work .
Old 11th July 2006, 13:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The tyres should be under wty. Check thru your Tata dealer if you can get replacements. Also check if the rim has any damage [evidence of hitting the pot-hole]. You can try saying it was a manufacturing defect..
Old 11th July 2006, 16:33   #9
BANNED

Are you guys then, in any way suggesting Goodyear tyres to Bridgestone?
I was looking to have the Bridgestone Potenza GIII's fitted to my car, but if claiming warranty with Bridgestone seems to be such a task in itself, do you guys advise I go for them?
Old 11th July 2006, 20:03   #10
BHPian

Side wall tear is never covered under warranty for any Tyre company..! I've seen a new lancer cedia with a side wall tear, recently when I had gone for my lancer service..and it was just plainly the drivers fault..maybe he might have gone over those small steel rods that sometime protude over a divider edge or road edge..or it was sharp edge stone..! Driving style would matter in this case to avoid stones and edges of the road...rather than turn the blind eye and imagine your wheels as a tractor setup..! I think Satya get in touch with a Bridgestone regional office, dealers sometimes don't wish to give replacements as the replaced tyre comes from a different stock...and if they give you that replacement they can't sell that replacement tyre...! My expierence with bridgestone has been great..They lasted their life in my Lancer as OEM, and when I purchased Potenza G3, I had one of the wheels having an Air Bubble after 100 KM, The dealer was very nice and changed the tyre into a new one with the approval of the Engineer over the phone..!
Old 11th July 2006, 20:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Wolfinstein, Sidewall tear is never covered under warranty..

But I think Bridestone tyres which come as OEM are very hard and are designed to last for mileage and not grip. Both my Tata Indigo as well as my Accent CRDi have bridestone.. The Indigo has tyre noise like a lorry at 110 Kmph whereas the accent is not certain of being on the road above 165/170 kmph..

Plan to shift to Michelin as my experience with Michelin has been great. They have a great high speed ride, complaince and grip [even in wet] which the bridestones lack..

err..wonder how MS manages them in F1..LOL
Old 11th July 2006, 20:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

and yeah the Indigo has 32 K kms and the accent 18K kms on the tyres..
Old 14th July 2006, 10:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Bridestone tyres which come as OEM are very hard and are designed to last for mileage
All car OEM tyres are made for mileage. The Potenza GIIIs are made for grip as well and hence MS manages them. LOL.

Quote:
Isn't it the same with Bridgestone too?
Bridgestone is a bit difficult but not impossible. If you know your tyre dealer he might help you out.

Quote:
but all the bridgestone engineer said was as the tire got a bulge becaus eof the car hitting something ...it wasnt their fault ..so there would be no replacement ...
Same thing was said by the goodyear engineer and i told him car is meant for the road why you make such tyres that will bulge at the sligtest of hits and then i started to tell him stories that my Esteem had 45 profile bridgestones nothing happened to them on worser road conditions, eventually convincing him that it was a defect of the tyre.
Old 14th July 2006, 11:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

about bridgestone ...i have a fantastic story to tell ...

before going for the g3's i had 155/65r13 bridgetone GT1 tubeless tires for about a month on my car ....the next day when i was cleaning teh car i noticed that all the four tires had small bulges on the side walls ...i went to the tire shop immediately and was told that all Gt1 tires have these bulges ....
also the tire guy told me to go to the bridgestone factory godown in bhandup to meet this Engineer ....

when i showed the tires ...even he said that the gt1 tires are made that way ...with bulges on the side walls ...

believing him ...i drove to mangalore ...and there when i was getting the wheel balancing done ....the local bridgestone dealer told me that my tires were damaged ..hence thge bulges and had this line on the sides which indicated that i had driven underinflated tires when i am so particular about tire pressures..

the same night when i was chatting with Shan...i decided that i would go for g3s and decided that i would never ever go for bridgestones...

and when i came back to mumbai ...i came to know that this Bridgestone Engineer and the tire dealer did not have a good reputation and thatthey had fooled others also lin teh same way ...

about this tire guy ..i know that he used tires for the Speedrun in mumbai on a no show yellow peugot and then packaged the same tires as new ones.
sadly this particular peugot crashed the night before the speedrun as his car did not stop in time when racing on public roads ...again he was using brand new Bridgestone tires...

the main reason i am writing this .is because the engineer in the pics looks similar to the one that i had met ....so i have doubts if your tire was already damaged even before you bought it ...
Old 14th July 2006, 16:53   #15
BANNED

@BUSA : What place in Mumbai would you recommend to have tubeless tyres and alloys fiited? I've heard about Pal Tyres at Lamington Road and Four Seasons at Crossroads.
What specific model of Goodyear tyres and alloys (Aura or Neo) would you suggest for an Indica? Tyre size is 165 x 65 R 13 . I do not wish to upsize.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks