Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 15:10   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

If you get the patch done, dont use it on your car after that. Keep it only for emergencies.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:16   #47
BHPian

Yeah. I'll get a tube instead. Its better that way. The tyre is fairly new and there is a lot of life in it.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:06   #48
BHPian

Got the problem resolved... The tyre is still tubeless... Got it fixed at Shiva's bridgestone.

Problem: A small Pin-hole on the tyre wall. The tyre still under warranty.

Attempt 1: Went to the Vora's Bridgestone dealer where I bought the tyres, near JC Road, Bangalore. The solution given by him was to put a tyre patch, which I was not convinced with.

Attempt 2: Went to Shiva's Bridgestone near MSRIT.

Solution: A strip of rubber from the puncture kit inserted through the hole.

No air leak, no tube, no tyre patch. Simple & reliable fix. I've been running with the tyre for about 3000 km now. Never had any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre Warranty Claiming-01032010050.jpg  

Tyre Warranty Claiming-01032010051.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2010, 04:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

It is anything but super reliable.

The sidewall flexes a lot and the patch could very easily give way at high speed.

You're taking a big risk for oyur life for a couple of thousand bucks.....
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:02   #50
BHPian

I don't drive at high speeds, at least not while taking a turn...
I've been on couple of long drives (including ghat sections) after I got the fix, seems to be working well... besides, the hole is very small & the tyre is new too...
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:02   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Doesnt matter. It is these tiny little things which can cause a BIG accident.

Anyway, it's your life and your decision.
Old 17th August 2010, 00:26   #52
BHPian

my experience with continental

Hi All,

although this incident happened a few months back, i though i'll share it with you all.

i recently upgraded my tyres from goodyear NCT 5 to continental CPC2. i had bought the tyres from a continental dealer in noida in march this year. By May i had run about 6K Kms and was planning to make a run from shimla to Bangalore and back in my car.
By the time i reached bangalore, i noticed a huge bubble in my front right tyre. i though of it as a anomaly. i changed the tyre to the back and started my journey back home.

By the time i reached noida, all 4 tyres had developed bubbles(i was not ready to accept the fact that these tyres were so weak). Further they had shown a unexplainable loss of tyre tread in a span of around 12-13K Kms. the extensive tread wear was also observed by the dealer but they had no clue about the reason for the same. the dealer took them back and made me talk to their regional sales manager(of continental tyres). i put on BF's instead of contis as i had to leave to shimla the same day. further BF's were the only tyres in stock who were "Fresh"(<2 months old). contis were >2 years old.

after long chats and heated debates, the sales manager based in delhi was not convinced that it was a manufacturing defect and offered to give a 50% refund for only two tyres. He even backtracked on this assurance once he got to know that i had put in BF's.

I was so angry with his dismissive attitude that i went to noida and got my tyres back. I'll probably use them in the rear for a while before diacarding them(depending on how safe they are). for now i am only using one as a spare.

i am thoroughly disappointed with the attitude of management based in Continental tyres india who at one hand try to push in old stock and on the other hand keep decisions on quality like tyre wear/tear "bubbles" in my case "their sole discretion"

I had got rave reviews about the tyre from a lot of TBhp members but sorry to say, i have been left wanting much much more. would think twice before buying contis.
Old 30th August 2010, 21:45   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
...Problem: A small Pin-hole on the tyre wall. The tyre still under warranty...Solution: A strip of rubber from the puncture kit inserted through the hole.

No air leak, no tube, no tyre patch. Simple & reliable fix. I've been running with the tyre for about 3000 km now. Never had any issues.
Please don't take unnecessary risks using this tyre. Once the sidewall is compromised, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I had the same problem on a one-year old Yokohama. I have kept it for the spare, that too, to be used only to limp to the nearest repair in extreme emergency.
Running this tyre at highway speeds is like playing russian roulette. Please, please don't do it.
Old 30th August 2010, 22:01   #54
AWD
BHPian

The Goodyear Ventura's figured in the thread are "pathetic" tyres. They are extremely noisy & are not made for Indian roads. I have Venturas on my car & they have developed same bubbles/bulges. Will get in touch with Goodyear but not very optimistic!

In case Im able to convince the engineer, can I claim some othe Goodyears like GT3 or Assurance in lieu of Venturas?
Old 20th January 2012, 17:46   #55
BHPian

Re: Tyre Warranty Claiming

I have taken delivery of my Wagon R VXI in the first week of January 2012. It came with Apollo tyres. Over the last 2 weeks, I noticed that the rear left tyre was losing pressure gradually but faster than the other tyres.

Today I took the tyre for checking and was shocked. The inside wall of the tyre had almost 6 or 7 pinhole leaks. The size and position of the leaks clearly indicate that this is a manufacturing defect.

I have informed my dealer of the same and they have asked me to take over the car to their workshop tomorrow for checking. However, they also seemed to be unaware about how to claim the warranty for OEM tyres.

I believe that manufacturer fitted tyres are covered under the tyre maker's warranty.

Can anyone pls guide me on how to claim this warranty as this tyre definitely needs to be replaced.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:10   #56
BHPian

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Tires - 225/60 R16 for my Yeti less than 2 Months ago.
Yesterday, while driving through a lesser used road in Uttarakhand(decent tarred surface, but with the occasional loose stones on the carriageway) at a slow 2nd gear speed of maybe 20-25 kmph.
Suddenly we heard a strange bang from the rear left of the car, I felt no feedback/loss of control at the steering. We stopped within 15-20 feet of hearing the sound.
The pictures attached show the condition of the "burst" tire.

Questions in my mind:
a) Will this kind of sidewall damage be covered under warranty? the dealer had assured of a 3 year warranty.
b) Is this kind of "burst" at all acceptable? My tires were properly inflated (32 Psi) and I was not doing fast speeds. A sidewall cut or tear I can understand, but this is quite clearly a burst - is it not?

Thoughts and inputs would be appreciated. I plan to visit the tire dealer from whom the purchase was made today evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre Warranty Claiming-img_20140908_081453279_hdr.jpg  

Tyre Warranty Claiming-img_20140908_081503524_hdr.jpg  

Tyre Warranty Claiming-img_20140908_081510062_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by adisag : 8th September 2014 at 09:11.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to see the damage to a new tyre. Manufacturers don't allow warranty claims unless there's a manufacturing defect visible from the inside of the tube.

There's damage to the alloy rims - did the tyre hit a sharp stone ? That's what the representative might say after inspection.

Does the Yeti have a TPMS system ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 8th September 2014 at 09:23.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Is this kind of "burst" at all acceptable? My tires were properly inflated (32 Psi) and I was not doing fast speeds. A sidewall cut or tear I can understand, but this is quite clearly a burst - is it not?
You should visit your dealer , but considering the damage and the kind of surface you were travelling upon the dealer will probably say that the tyre damaged due to sharp objects are not claimed under warranty.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
There's damage to the alloy rims - did the tyre hit a sharp stone ? That's what the representative might say after inspection.

Does the Yeti have a TPMS system ?
The alloys were pretty badly scuffed prior to this, but yes, given the terrain it is possible we drove over a sharp stone.

No, no TPMS in the yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
You should visit your dealer , but considering the damage and the kind of surface you were travelling upon the dealer will probably say that the tyre damaged due to sharp objects are not claimed under warranty.
But would'nt a sharp object cause a cut or a tear? looking at the shape of the damage - it looks like a burst and not a cut, also it felt like a burst, as there was a bang rather than just a sound of hissing air.

Its going to be a tough one to argue out though
Old 8th September 2014, 09:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Questions in my mind:
a) Will this kind of sidewall damage be covered under warranty? the dealer had assured of a 3 year warranty.
b) Is this kind of "burst" at all acceptable? My tires were properly inflated (32 Psi) and I was not doing fast speeds. A sidewall cut or tear I can understand, but this is quite clearly a burst - is it not?

Thoughts and inputs would be appreciated. I plan to visit the tire dealer from whom the purchase was made today evening.
On seeing the damage it looks like it made a contact with a sharp object (damage on the alloy wheel). This is what the inspection guy will point out. Sidewall tear/bursts are not covered under warranty unless it's a manufacturing defect (which the tyre company will obviously deny). I would suggest you to visit a local shop and change the alignment of the damaged tyre so that it's not in line with the alloy damage and then try your luck with the manufacturer. If you go with the current position, they will deny it on seeing the alloy damage. Try your luck and you might be lucky. I had the same problem and was denied warranty (MRF - 1 week old tyre, having driven only 200 kms). I wasted 2 days running behind the manufacturer and finally ditched the tyre and bought a new tyre from a different manufacturer. Keep us updated on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks