Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 08:40   #61
BHPian

Re: Tyre Warranty Claiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
On seeing the damage it looks like it made a contact with a sharp object (damage on the alloy wheel). This is what the inspection guy will point out. Sidewall tear/bursts are not covered under warranty unless it's a manufacturing defect (which the tyre company will obviously deny). I would suggest you to visit a local shop and change the alignment of the damaged tyre so that it's not in line with the alloy damage and then try your luck with the manufacturer. If you go with the current position, they will deny it on seeing the alloy damage. Try your luck and you might be lucky. I had the same problem and was denied warranty (MRF - 1 week old tyre, having driven only 200 kms). I wasted 2 days running behind the manufacturer and finally ditched the tyre and bought a new tyre from a different manufacturer. Keep us updated on this.
So, the warranty claim was rather summarily rejected on the premise of "sidewall damage" due to driving over sharp objects. I had more or less expected this, so am not to peeved, but this whole episode did throw up a whole new can of worms.

Basically, I had been sold a set of "new" tires manufactured in Japan in 2009. My bad, that at the time of purchase, I just sent my driver to collect the car and did'nt bother checking/decoding the sidewall after the install.

Full review of my not so good experience with "Malik Tyre World, Sikanderpur, Gurgaon" here
Old 10th February 2015, 11:20   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
I purchased a set of Bridgestone Tires - 225/60 R16 for my Yeti less than 2 Months ago.
Yesterday, while driving through a lesser used road in Uttarakhand(decent tarred surface, but with the occasional loose stones on the carriageway) at a slow 2nd gear speed of maybe 20-25 kmph.
Suddenly we heard a strange bang from the rear left of the car, I felt no feedback/loss of control at the steering. We stopped within 15-20 feet of hearing the sound.
The pictures attached show the condition of the "burst" tire.

Questions in my mind:
a) Will this kind of sidewall damage be covered under warranty? the dealer had assured of a 3 year warranty.
b) Is this kind of "burst" at all acceptable? My tires were properly inflated (32 Psi) and I was not doing fast speeds. A sidewall cut or tear I can understand, but this is quite clearly a burst - is it not?

Thoughts and inputs would be appreciated. I plan to visit the tire dealer from whom the purchase was made today evening.
That Sidewall cut is pretty scary, had it happened at faster speeds, it really could have been dangerous. Thank god that you are all safe.
From the looks of it, something really sharp (probably a sharp metal piece) entered and cut open your sidewall and also scuffed the alloy). You can try your luck with the manufacturer, but seems unlikely that they will accept a claim, as the clean cut of the sidewall shows a sharp incision. Which Bridgestone tyres are these?
I also have Bridgestones ER370 on my Yeti and they are quite sturdy - in 22,000 kms, not a single puncture so far. Their sidewalls are much stronger than the Pirellis and Michelins I had seen when hunting for tyres.

Drive safe!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 16:59   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Which Bridgestone tyres are these?
I also have Bridgestones ER370 on my Yeti and they are quite sturdy
The damaged tire was a Bridgestone Regno of suspect origin, and Mfd some 5 yrs ago. Bad shopping habits and lack of due diligence on my part.

I had documented the incident in some more detail here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...old-tyres.html

I more or less immediately had the entire set replaced with Bridgestone ER370's in the stock size - 215/60 R16, and I have to agree, these are a sturdy set. Have driven ~ 15,000 km on them through all sorts of terrain, but not a single puncture yet Also, the Regno's were showing visible loss of tread in ~ 4000-5000 km of use, the ER370's seem to be wearing of their tread far more slowly.

Lesson learnt, I guess I'm never getting tires without doing my homework first.
Old 11th February 2015, 17:49   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
The damaged tire was a Bridgestone Regno of suspect origin, and Mfd some 5 yrs ago. Bad shopping habits and lack of due diligence on my part.

I had documented the incident in some more detail here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...old-tyres.html

I more or less immediately had the entire set replaced with Bridgestone ER370's in the stock size - 215/60 R16, and I have to agree, these are a sturdy set. Have driven ~ 15,000 km on them through all sorts of terrain, but not a single puncture yet Also, the Regno's were showing visible loss of tread in ~ 4000-5000 km of use, the ER370's seem to be wearing of their tread far more slowly.

Lesson learnt, I guess I'm never getting tires without doing my homework first.
Good to Know Adi and these tyres should easily last you 45k kms. The ER370s were the best tyres I could find with the right balance of toughness and noise control, at a decent price!
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:11   #65
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Needed some help. Toyota Etios of my boss had a sidewall cut in the left tyre, the dealership has refused to get the tyre replaced under warranty! Bridgestone guy also gave a report that its not a manufacturing defect.

The car is 3yrs old & done only 1,000kms ! Is there a chance of the tyre being replaced under warranty by writing to Toyota India?
The car isn't used much & is just lying in his garage most of the time.
Email addresses of the higher-ups would be useful.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:59   #66
BHPian

Our Skoda Rapid's 8000 Km run OEM tyre (15 months old) Apollo Alnac 185/60 R15 got damaged after it hit a pot hole on my drive from Chennai to Tuticorin on 23rd Dec 2015, at the Madurai Bypass. Since the road condition at that stretch was so bad (about 10 to 12 Kms), I was doing no more than 30 to 40 Km/hr and also because of vehicles going infront and oncoming vehicles in that 2 Lane road. After tailgating a bus for sometime in that stretch, in the impatience for not able to notice the potholes ahead, I tried to overtake the bus. During this event, I heard a noise although milder after I hit a pot hole. Immediately, I moved to the left, parked on the road side and noticed that the 'front right' tyre was flat. I checked the tyre visually and found nothing serious.

Thinking the tyre valve might have opened out due to the hard hit, I tried to fill in air with the portable Air compressor, I carry. But, could not see the tyre inflating; so I was sure that it was tyre damage. Since it was getting darker, I immediately put on my effort to change the tyre with stepney and reached home safely, which is about 125Km further from that spot.

After reaching Tuticorin, I checked the tyre and found, that there was a cut of about 2 to 3 inches in length in the sidewall, closer to the edge of the alloy wheel. Found that there was no damage or scratches to the alloy.

Next day morning, I called up Skoda dealer in Chennai, to know about the procedure for warranty claim for the tyre, if any. I was informed that they will check and let me know. I was hardly having any hope for any claim under warranty, as any manufacturer would put the blame squarely on us.

Also, I made a call to Apollo Tyres customer care number on 24th morning at about 9:30 AM, to know what could be done. I was informed that their executive would call within 48 hours. Since 25th Dec is generally a holiday, I was having very very little hope about that '48 hours'.

But in half an hour I got a call from Apollo Tyres Customer care, Chennai, as I had given my residential address in Chennai to the Customer Care of Apollo Tyres. I explained to him, the course of the event that happened during the previous day. He said, he will talk to his superior and come back. After half an hour, I received a call from him saying, that Apollo Tyres would bear 50% of the tyre cost; I agreed, I cannot not ask for more. All these happened, even before I sent him the picture of the damaged tyre. He then requested me to send an official email to the Apollo Tyres, for formal procedure towards the claim. I did and in the next one hour, I was informed that it was approved.

Next came was the logistics issue. The Apollo personnel at Chennai said I need to go either to Tirunelveli (50 Kms) or Madurai (135 Kms) for tyre replacement, as they have godowns only in these nearby places. I was thinking in such case, I may have to get it replaced at Madurai on my return journey. When I asked him, whether this could be done at his dealership at Tuticorin, he said he will check and let me know. Soon I was informed that their dealer at Tuticorin is more into Truck tyres, hence the availability of that particular model and size was an issue. However, I was informed by his counterpart in Tirunelveli, that there is a shipment going to that dealer from Tirunelveli that day and said he will ensure that he will send the tyre also along with them. He also said since it is done at his dealership level, I will have to bear the cost for tyre changing.

Finally the tyre reached Tuticorin at 4 PM, I paid Rs 2450 (50% of the cost), got the tyre and replaced it.

Although, the tyre damage / burst was irritating, I thought the the pleasant experience with the replacement of the tyre by Apollo, (although I bore 50% of the cost) is worth mentioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre Warranty Claiming-img_2098.jpg  

Tyre Warranty Claiming-img_2096.jpg  

batman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 09:31   #67
BHPian

My Yamaha R15 is at ~19500kms. Yesterday I took her to MRF for analyzing a tear in the rear tyre(MRF Revz-S 130/70 R17).
Tyre Warranty Claiming-p_20160613_143643.jpg
They inspected and said they will replace it with a new one. Order will arrive in a few days. They informed that I have to pay 1020/- as tyre tread depth had reduced to 3mm from 5mm . This is a strange warranty clause ! Is this how tyre warranties work?
Old 14th June 2016, 09:48   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
My Yamaha R15 is at ~19500kms. Yesterday I took her to MRF for analyzing a tear in the rear tyre. They inspected and said they will replace it with a new one. Order will arrive in a few days. They informed that I have to pay 1020/- as tyre tread depth had reduced to 3mm from 5mm. This is a strange warranty clause ! Is this how tyre warranties work?
Yes, tyres are consumable items & you will need to pay for what you have used. Nothing unusual in their demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Needed some help. Toyota Etios of my boss had a sidewall cut in the left tyre, the dealership has refused to get the tyre replaced under warranty! Bridgestone guy also gave a report that its not a manufacturing defect. The car is 3yrs old & done only 1,000kms ! Is there a chance of the tyre being replaced under warranty by writing to Toyota India? The car isn't used much & is just lying in his garage most of the time. Email addresses of the higher-ups would be useful.
A sidewall cut is generally not a manufacturing defect but caused by impact damage when the car is either driven over a pothole or has hit a stone/rock. Such problems are not covered by the warranty.

If they inspected it and said no manufacturing defect they have obviously classified it as impact damage.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th June 2016 at 09:52.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:36   #69
BHPian

I got CEAT Milaze 165 80 R14 tyres on my Punto. Two were bought last year in March, put in the front. This year in May, 2 more were bought, again, put in front with the earlier set moved to the rear.

While the earlier set was very silent from day 1 till replacement, the new set, especially the front right, has started making a cyclic wow-wow-wow-wow noise which is dependent on speed. Most prominent between 50--70kmph. It is not wheel bearing noise, checks are in place.

It is probably the tyre. The tread or balance is OK, so is the alignment. What is it?

Belt misaligned? Can this be claimed under warranty? CEAT seemingly offers an "unconditional" warranty!

There is no problem with grip or ride quality: the noise is killing me. Well, it's not very loud, but distinct.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 22nd June 2016 at 14:43.
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:54   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ for all that you know , it might be the rear right that's making the noise( the old one).

1.Please run your palm over the sidewalls and see if you feel minor wave patterns.

2.swap fronts with rear and listen to the noise pattern.

3.What is the date of manufacture of the "new" tyres?

4.tyre pressure , especially higher pressure can also play a role in noise

Last edited by vigsom : 22nd June 2016 at 15:55.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ for all that you know , it might be the rear right that's making the noise( the old one).
Nope. Front it is!

Quote:

1.Please run your palm over the sidewalls and see if you feel minor wave patterns.
Clean!

Quote:

2.swap fronts with rear and listen to the noise pattern.

Zeroed in on the particular tyre by same method.

Quote:

3.What is the date of manufacture of the "new" tyres?
1216....March 2016 probably.

Quote:

4.tyre pressure , especially higher pressure can also play a role in noise.
Weekly checked with my own brass gauge. Hovers around 31/32psi when cold.

Do tire manufacturers entertain noise related claims?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd June 2016 at 09:49.
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:14   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I got CEAT Milaze 165 80 R14 tyres on my Punto.

While the earlier set was very silent from day 1 till replacement, the new set, especially the front right, has started making a cyclic wow-wow-wow-wow noise which is dependent on speed. Most prominent between 50--70kmph. It is not wheel bearing noise, checks are in place.
Sirjee, I faced the same problem in my Swift when I changed from MRF ZVTV (185/65 R15) to MRF Z.L.O (195/60 R15). I am quoting my problem here:

Quote:
PROBLEM: Humming noise between 40 to 55 kmph where it is hard the most. Post 70 kmph it is heard but the concentration required to notice that noise is high. I doubt the MRF ZLO's as this noise is coming post my tyre change. Fingers crossed!
Here is the Link

After a lot of noise making and with no regard from MRF to honor warranty, I did a small test myself. I swapped the tyres with some other brand and did a TD. Problem solved as there was no humming noise. I suggest you do the same once.

Testing with other tyre

Went to the MRF FB page and complained again where they sent another representative. He did understand the issue and gave me replacement of 4 MRF ZVTV. I went to the tyre store and swapped them for Michelin XM2. I am a happy owner now.

Swapped the new ZVTV to XM2

So the underline conclusion is, make noise and complain to Ceat. Get a replacement or shift brands like I did.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd June 2016 at 10:20.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:31   #73
BHPian

My Nexon XZA has a crack in tire between the treads,This is a Bridgestone Turanza OEM tire. The vehicle has done 7700kms in 6 months of ownership. Is it a cause for concern or is this pretty normal?As of now there is no drop in air pressure. Will Tata dealer take care of it or should I contact Bridgestone dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre Warranty Claiming-tyre-crack.jpg  

Old 4th November 2019, 15:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
My Nexon XZA has a crack in tire between the treads,This is a Bridgestone Turanza OEM tire. The vehicle has done 7700kms in 6 months of ownership. Is it a cause for concern or is this pretty normal?As of now there is no drop in air pressure. Will Tata dealer take care of it or should I contact Bridgestone dealer.
From the pictures, it looks like a foreign object damage during running. I am doubtful whether your dealer or Bridgestone will consider this under warranty.

You can try going through the Tata dealer.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 16:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

One of the stock tyres (Bridgestone, 2017) of my Hyundai Eon has developed a bulge in the tread area. This was noticed recently when the tyre was put on balancing machine.

Workers at the tyre store told me to contact Bridgestone and claim warranty as it looks like a manufacturing defect. I did try to contact them through SMS and mail but haven't received any response.

Does anyone know about the warranty period for stock tyres? Car is more than 2 yrs old and out of warranty coverage.

Most Viewed