Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

How safe? - Front tyre with a bubble on side wall

Dear all,

Need your expert advice here.

I need to make a quick pune-mumbai-pune in my palio. Last week I noticed a bubble on the side wall of front right tyre.
How safe is it to drive with such tyre? Considering it will be on the expressway?

Can't get a new tyre replaced at this time of the year. Investments to make for investment declarations already made to save tax.

Any adjustments possible to the current tyre? All 4 tyres have hardly run 10k Kms after replacement. I had not changed the spare tyre then, and had kept the best from the replaced tyres as spare.
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:31   #2
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How safe? - Front tyre with a bubble on side wall

This post should be in the technical section

The answer to your question is a strict no. There is too much risk driving with a air bubble in the front as the tyre may burst as it builds up heat. Front tyre burst leads to complete loss of control.

Ideally you should get a new tyre. But if you cannot afford at this point your options are to move this tyre to the rear left so that even if you have flat you will not loose control and you can still change you tyre on the highway without the fear of being run over.

I presume your stepney is not in a condition for high speeds where three tyres are new.

Drive slow and safe

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 22nd December 2011 at 20:32.
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:52   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Not safe to drive about in my opinion. Better to change the bubbled tyre straightaway. Else you run a big risk of a blow out at speeds. However difficult the financials may be, I think it is worth spending that 3 grand or so on a new tyre possibly on your credit card or something but dont drive about with the bad tyre!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd December 2011 at 20:53.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Any adjustments possible to the current tyre? All 4 tyres have hardly run 10k Kms after replacement. I had not changed the spare tyre then, and had kept the best from the replaced tyres as spare.
If I am not wrong, since the tyres have run only 10k, wouldn't they be covered by warranty? AFAIK, most manufacturers currently give 2 or 3 years warranty, and the issue that you have mentioned should be covered.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to make a quick pune-mumbai-pune in my palio. Last week I noticed a bubble on the side wall of front right tyre.
How safe is it to drive with such tyre? Considering it will be on the expressway?
Its usually unsafe to drive on expressway with such a tyre bulge, you never know when it would give away. How about the spare tyre, is that any better to get it in place of the bulged tyre.

For local city driving where in the speeds would be ~40 it would be ok for few days but not recommended on expressway.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Without ANY doubt, do not drive using that tyre. Not in the city and especially not on the expressway.

Have the spare tyre checked for air pressure and put it in place.

If you can't get a new tyre now, try getting a decent 2nd hand tyre as spare/emergency until you get a brand new one.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:58   #7
BHPian

Put the bubbled tyre as spare & the present spare tyre in the rear wheel.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:01   #8
BHPian

Please change the tire with any such damages before high speed runs like on an expressway.

Even minor cuts/bulges/bubbles have a high possibility of resulting in a blow - out, usually with serious consequences.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

How big is that bubble. Driving with any such bubble is not advisable in the aspect of safety.
Quote:
Investments to make for investment declarations already made to save tax.
Buying a tire is also definitely a big investment and an insurance and in my opinion you could have waited a month more for your the investment you have referred.
Go use your credit card and buy it.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

The palio D i had had the same problem, but in the rear wheel. It remained till the vehicle was sold. It is due to tyre damage from road imperfection(say, fast drive over pothole).
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all guys. Will try to borrow a car, if not, then will replace the tyre with a new one.

Regarding warranty, how many years are bridgeston tyres covered. I bought around 2.5 yrs back, but hardly did any running. But I also heard that bridgeston ate the worst as far as claiming warranty is concerned.

@mods: my fault to start the thread in "Indian car scene" instead of advice. Request to move the thread there.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:16   #12
BHPian

Option A Maybe you could ask big tyre shops like Darshan tyres or Mehta tyres in Pune or Premji in Mumbai for the almost new goodyear/MRF/JK tyres (which come as OEM tyres in cars) and which many swap for the high end Michliens/Yokos ? I think you should be able to buy one in Rs 2000 or so......Or
Option B You could look at the chinese hankooks. Just google these shops out, get their phone nos and call.
Option C Just use the Train !!

But pl. pl. don't run the bubble tyre on the expressway. Just imagine what can happen if it bursts .

Last edited by rxpaul : 22nd December 2011 at 23:20.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding warranty, how many years are bridgeston tyres covered. I bought around 2.5 yrs back, but hardly did any running. But I also heard that bridgeston ate the worst as far as claiming warranty is concerned.
I know clearly of my friend getting 50% benefit for uneven wear on two of his wasgon R's JK tire through Maruti in the third year. So it is worth a try.
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:50   #14
BHPian

Would nitrogen filling give a _temporary_ relief?

At least the expansion due to heating will be less?
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all,
We faced the same dilemma when we noticed the bubble in the second last day of our GQ trip on the Tavera. We noticed a large lump in the side wall of the Front left tyre. Every tyre shop guy said it's only because of heat and there won't be a problem. Everyone opted to drive on with it, but I had some serious paranoia about it. We did about 500-600 Kms on the highway, after which we switched to the spare tyre. Guess the paranoia set in for everyone.

If you must drive with the same tyre, please keep your speed low, and stop at regular intervals to check for further stress on the bubble.

If you have a choice, please switch to a spare or look for an alternative transport.

Last edited by w0lf : 23rd December 2011 at 09:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks